Wallows are an omnivorous race of chubby gray fauna found near Echovald Forest in Cantha. Despite that it is possible to domesticate them for their ability to hunt truffles, they are hunted and killed by some for their tusks and the truffles that are one of their favorite forms of food. They are also scavengers, consuming flesh off the bones of the kills of hunters. The tusks of rot wallows at least are known to be venomous, though the essence of the venom can be extracted to create an antidote. Wallows will be featured in the End of Dragons expansion.
Legends refer to discord wallows, a form of wallow capable of singing so out of tune that their song could protect them from the effects of the Jade Wind. Though they were believed to be a myth, the last discord wallow was located within a thicket in the forest and slain for its sinews for the instrument crafter Vasili Lutgardis to create a lyre with.
Guild Wars concept art.
- ^ Wallows: The Definitive Defense
- ^ Catrine Embolom
- Catrine Embolom: Ravenous rot wallows rummage through our camps at night, picking clean the bones of any game animals left outside to cure. I cannot count how many times the Crab Clan has dealt with those pesky scavengers. I am looking for a few brave souls to hunt them for us. Bring back 5 Rot Wallow Tusks, and I'll give you this.
- ^ Dialogue with Nicholas the Traveler in Pongmei Valley
- Nicholas the Traveler: Oh, dear, I'm in a predicament, friend. Yakkington got himself into a scuffle earlier today, and while the big guy emerged victorious, he did not come out unscathed. Yakkington's dealt with this sort before, you understand, so it didn't concern me at first. Then he got a little woozy and I got to thinking: what if Rot Wallow Tusks have venom in them after all? It would make sense because he came back with so many scratches this time-more than I've seen before. I can't leave his side in his condition, but I can't be sure of what happened until I examine the Rot Wallow Tusks myself. Could you bring me 2 of them while I watch over my infirm friend? If I'm correct, I can extract their internal essences and prepare an antidote.
- ^ End of Dragons First Look
- Rubi Bayer: They are super good. We're also going to meet some familiar enemies from Guild Wars Factions, like naga, kappa and wallows, all updated for Guild Wars 2.
- ^ Discord Wallow Lyre
- Vasili Lutgardis: If the melodic gaki is a myth, the discord wallow is but the memory of myth. Yet I have reason to believe one of these very creatures does exist in these lands. The discord wallow is said to sing a song so horribly out of tune that I believe it may have protected at least one wallow from the Jade Wind! If I could get my hands on the sinew of the last discord wallow, my potential would be fulfilled, and at last the secret of creating the finest lyres in the land would be mine...and yours, for a small price. I'll even throw in an advance based on my projected sales, factoring in wages and other cost overhead. Now, go find that discord wallow sinew, or I can't save you money!