Double-click for more information.
For advanced players.
— In-game description
The Level-80 Boost is an item awarded to players who purchase Guild Wars 2 expansions. This awarded item comes bundled with various items and a free shared inventory slot, and allows underleveled characters to preview max-level play before committing to consuming the boost. It can also be acquired through use of Black Lion Instant Level 80 Ticket (if acquired thusly, there are no additional items included).
This item can also be consumed by characters already at level 80.
- Gift awarded to players upon purchasing expansion packs:
- Upon use of Black Lion Instant Level 80 Ticket
The following items are granted upon choosing to permanently consume the boost:
- Level 80 Waypoints Unlocked (guaranteed) (consumed instantly upon acquisition)
- Level-80 Boost Package (guaranteed)
- Level-80 Equipment Package (choice) (characters already at max level only; other characters will already be wearing their new equipment from the preview)
- Package of Old Equipment (choice) (characters being boosted to 80 only, omitted if no gear was equipped)
Using this item on a character who is below level 80 will grant the option to preview max-level play in The Silverwastes; the item can then be used again to decide whether to level up permanently and consume the boost, or to end the trial and keep the boost.
Characters already at level 80 will not be given the option to play the trial, though they will be teleported to The Silverwastes upon choosing to permanently consume the boost.
Starting the trial will teleport you to next to Quartermaster Criswell in Camp Resolve and initiate conversation with him. Your character will be wearing temporary level 80 gear (existing gear will be safely stored in Package of Old Equipment in your inventory) and their build will be changed to one of the builds shown below. You will be unable to leave the Silverwastes until you either consume the boost or choose to end the trial.
For the duration of the trial, traits, utility skills, and equipment can freely be changed; including equipping legendary items.
List of default builds and equipment
- If used on a character below level 80
- This boost will immediately raise you to the max level. You can experiment in the Silverwastes before you need to commit to expending this item.
- Instantly Level 80 — Start playing at max level right now.
- Equipped with Level-80 Gear — Get equipped with armor, weapons, skills and specializations that will increase your effectiveness and help you navigate max-level perils.
- Travel to the Silverwastes — Travel immediately to the front lines of the battle with the Elder Dragon Mordremoth.
- Try before Committing — Try playing your profession at max level in the Silverwastes before committing to make the boost permanent for this character or to use it on another character.
- If used on a character who is currently previewing max-level play in the Silverwastes
- You must decide whether to consume this boost to permanently boost your character to level 80 before you can leave the Silverwastes. When you consume this boost, you'll receive the following:
- If used on a character at level 80
- This boost immediately raises a character to max level, equips the character for max-level play, and grants a package of endgame rewards.
- Using this on a character already at level 80 will grant you only this package of endgame rewards:
New Player Experience trial
With the New Player Experience beta, the Level-80 Boost provides a raptor, with the following message:
- The first (acquired through expansion-purchase) L80 Boost will appear in a new shared inventory slot. It does not appear until you change zones. The only way to remove it from this slot is to consume it; the slot will remain available for use afterwards. Subsequent expansion-acquired L80 Boosts will stack on top of any existing L80 Boost(s) (If you still have (at least) one of them), leaving the shared inventory slots they came with free for use.
- L80 Boosts acquired via Black Lion Instant Level 80 Tickets require an existing empty Shared Inventory Slot for use.
- Consuming this item is a permanent action and cannot be undone. You will be prompted by a confirmation box before it is consumed.
- Undoing the boost returns you to your racial city, regardless of where you initiated the boost. Despite restoring your old equipment, an empty Package of Old Equipment remains in your inventory and must be consumed before you can re-boost the same character.
- Boosting a character to level 80 in this way does not reward any level rewards (with the exception of stats and unlocks).
- Once the boost has been permanently consumed, you may use the Waypoints to travel to a starting area, or travel East to Brisban Wildlands.
- Level 80 gear you are equipped with when entering the trial will have its skin unlocked for you in your wardrobe after leaving the trial even if you chose to undo the boost.
- Level 80 gear that comes with this item cannot be salvaged or sold.
- Cannot be activated in the starting area tutorial mission, as the following message will occur instead: You must complete the tutorial before you can use this level-boost item.
- Prior to the October 5th, 2021 update, preview equipment had different stats: necromancers were given Rabid, thieves had Valkyrie, and the rest used Soldier's.