Click to enlarge.
When the reactor blew, the world's fabric turned inside-out. Some things will never be the same.
The Thaumanova Reactor is a ruined asuran city in northwest Metrica Province. It was destroyed recently in an Inquest experiment gone awry in their lab under the city, where they were studying chaos magic and, under pressure from Scarlet Briar, mixed in draconic energies they had inaccurately believed to be more chaos magic. The resulting explosion tore the fabric of reality, an attribute of chaos magic, and created chaos rifts teleporting creatures from across Tyria of the surrounding areas.
Unintentionally, the experiment helped the Inquest and their consultant identify the network of magical channels that criss-cross the globe known as ley lines. The complex itself was built on an intersection of these channels, causing the disaster. After the explosion, the energy source that the Inquest was experimenting on was moved to the Thaumacore Inquiry Center in the Toxal Bog, causing the chaos effect to spread northward. The effects of the underground experiment also affected other areas such as the Chaos Crystal Cavern in the Iron Marches.
The site of the disaster is considered extremely dangerous, as it is full of chaotic materials and waste, on top of the aforementioned creatures teleported in at random. Additionally, the disaster seems to have divided the area up into five distinct sections, four of which hold ties to the elements of fire, ice, water, and vegetation - as well as a nearby cavern holding a Branded-looking crystal.
The Thaumanova Reactor Fallout Meta starts every 2 (even) hours at xx:45 (e.g 10:45 am).
Locations and objectives
- Renown Hearts
- Help the C.L.E.A.N. krewe (15)
- Hero Challenges
- Ancient Elemental Fire Energy (15)
- Escort the C.L.E.A.N. 5000 golem while it absorbs clouds of chaos magic (14) [Group Event]
- Defend the C.L.E.A.N. 5000 golem (15) [Group Event]
- Destroy the C.L.E.A.N. 5000 golem stolen by the Inquest (15) [Group Event]
- Destroy the chaotic materials created by the reactor meltdown (15)
- Destroy the fire elemental created from chaotic energy fusing with the C.L.E.A.N. 5000's energy core (15) [Group Event]
- Destroy the ice monster (15)
- Destroy the misplaced aquatic creature (15)
- Destroy the misplaced poison creature (15)
- Defeat the misplaced steam ogre (18) [Group Event]
- Mini-jumping puzzles
- There are two short jumping puzzles associated with charging the Matrix Cube Key that is used to start the Defeat the misplaced steam ogre event.
- Raven (80)
- Polar Bear (15) (Summoned randomly)
- Arctic Crab (15)
- Freshwater Crab (15) (Summoned randomly)
- Hermit Crab (15)
- Veteran Giant Arctic Crab (15)
- Ice Drake (15) (Summoned randomly)
- Marsh Drake (15)
- Scaled Drake (15) (Summoned randomly)
- Veteran Marsh Drake
- Hawkeye Griffon (15) (Summoned randomly)
- Toxic Ooze (15)
- Breeze Rider (16)
- Researcher: When the reactor blew, the world's fabric turned inside-out. Some things will never be the same.
- Krewe Researcher: Things are feeling a little bit less chaotic. Maybe now Rooba can bring that golem in to clean up some of the magic energies.
- Krewe Researcher: (coughing)
- Chaos Shard
- Chaotic Material
- Concentrated Chaotic Radiation
- Matrix Cube Key
- Unstable Ice Formation
- The name Thaumanova may be derived from "Thauma" or "Thaum" meaning magic (from the Greek θαῦμα thaûma, meaning "miracle" or "marvel") and "Nova" meaning new (from Latin nova, meaning "new"). Therefore, the name Thaumanova Reactor can be read to mean "magic-new reactor" or "new-magic reactor".
- The Thaumanova disaster may be inspired by the nuclear disaster that occurred in Chernobyl. It also bears some resemblance to the disaster at the fictional Black Mesa Research Facility in the Half-Life video game.
- ^ Researcher
- ^ a b Captain Ellen Kiel
- Captain Ellen Kiel: I'm glad you're here, <Character name>. I could use some help spreading the word about delivering on my campaign promise to investigate the Thaumanova Reactor disaster.
- <Character name>: What do you want people to know?
- Captain Ellen Kiel: Just the basics: the facility was intended to study chaos magic, but the Inquest and their so-called "specialist," Scarlet, pushed things in dangerous new directions.
- <Character name>: How so?
- Captain Ellen Kiel: They claimed there was a link between the Thaumanova's chaos energy and Elder Dragon energy. They ramped things up past the point of safe operation, and the reactor melted down.
- <Character name>: Anything else?
- Captain Ellen Kiel: Scarlet claimed to have identified the channels that this magical energy follows as it courses in and around and through the globe. If she's right, it could be a significant breakthrough.
- ^ Dialogue in the Thaumanova Reactor Fractal
- Veteran Inquest Technician: What are you doing? This entire place is about to go up in a blinding flash of chaos magic.
- Veteran Inquest Operative: Chaos magic? That's not what the special consultant says. You don't have any idea what's really going on here, do you? [...]
- Inquest Technician (2): It's all that special consultant's fault. She came in, started making recommendations, egged the krewe chief on...
- Inquest Technician (1): He responded, too. Got into a "who can push things further faster" contest. She's got a history with us, apparently.
- Inquest Technician (2): Great. Studying chaos magic wasn't enough. Oh no. Scarlet has to harness it and amplify it and agitate it.
- Inquest Technician (1): Leave it to a sylvari to foul up machinery. She doesn't even recognize chaos magic. Says it's something else entirely.
- ^ The Dead End: A Study in Scarlet
- Marjory Delaqua: The Thaumanova Reactor accident was the worst asuran disaster in recent memory. Ellen Kiel investigated it and discovered that Scarlet was involved—as a special consultant to the Inquest.
- <Character name>: What are Kiel's conclusions?
- Marjory Delaqua: She believes Scarlet blew the place up to sow terror. One sleuth to another, that's too easy. If we theorize that all Scarlet's moves have been connected, she must have been after something.
- <Character name>: I agree. But why? What else has Scarlet said?
- Marjory Delaqua: Mostly crazed prattle— Hmm. Now that's interesting. Kiel's report says Scarlet called the energy flowing into the reactor "dragon" energy. She also talked about the ley lines that crisscross Tyria.
- <Character name>: It all tracks back to the ley lines. We know she's been actively researching them.
- Marjory Delaqua: Scarlet and the Inquest turned a risky research experiment into a time bomb so they could study how it ticked.
- Marjory Delaqua: They also discovered new info about ley lines. If Scarlet is using that info to plan her next major attack, it's coming soon.