Thaumanova Reactor Fractal
Thaumanova Reactor Fractal
Investigate the destruction of the Thaumanova Reactor.
— In-game description
The Thaumanova Reactor Fractal is a Fractal of the Mists which occurs at levels 15, 34, 43, 55, 64 and 82. During the 1326 AE Captain's Council election, Ellen Kiel made a promise to support research into this fractal, which depicts the Thaumanova Reactor disaster, if elected. Since Captain Kiel was victorious, she worked to make this fractal available as seen here.
- 1 Objectives
- 2 Walkthrough
- 3 NPCs
- 4 Objects
- 5 Dialogue
- 6 Related achievements
- 7 Notes
Meet Dessa and assist with her experiments.
- Fractal Difficulty Scale: x
- Personal Fractal Level: x
- Secure the reactor's central control console.
- Coordinate your strategy with Mistlock Observatory.
- Use the detonator to begin the breach.
- Elite Flame Legion Shaman
- Disable the collider in the dormitories.
- Researchers Rescued: x/4
- Time remaining: x
- Disable the collider in the cooling chamber.
- Disable the collider in the repulsor lab.
- Shut down the collider in the live-subject lab.
- Defeat Subject 6.
- Retrieve a core sample and escape.
- Disable the colliders to stabilize the core.: x/4
- Return to the central control panel.
- Defeat the Thaumanova Anomaly
- Thaumanova Anomaly
- Retrieve a core sample and escape.
Elite Flame Legion Fire Shaman
Activate the detonator to blow a hole in the wall, then take a right and run up the stairs to reach the platform in the middle of the room on the upper level. Defeat the elite Flame Legion Fire Shaman. Once he's dead, you'll be asked to disable the four colliders around the reactor.
Disabling the colliders
There are a total of 4 rooms containing colliders around the reactor. Activating consoles in the rooms will disable the colliders. All 4 colliders will need to be disabled.
Champion Subject 6 uses poison and blocking moves. Repairing oozes move toward Subject 6 and heal it for 6% if they reach it. At tiers 3 and 4, a golden Veteran Ooze will spawn at 75%, 50% and 25% health thresholds and move towards Subject 6 to heal it for 25%. The golden oozes have defiance bars, rendering them immune to chill, cripples, and immobilizes, unlike the blue oozes. Successfuly breaking the bar will stun the ooze for a short time, making it easier to kill. If any of the oozes reach Subject 6 and bring it above one of the three thresholds, a golden ooze will spawn.
- Shield Form — blocks attacks; gains 1 stack of Overload for each attack blocked
- Overload — Upon reaching 20 stacks Subject 6 will overload, dealing damage to all nearby players in a large area for each additional attack it takes.
- Corrode Armor — Incoming damage is increased. Stacks intensity. May be reflected or destroyed.
- Corrode Weapon — Outgoing damage is reduced. Stacks intensity. May be reflected or destroyed.
When Subject 6 takes on a shield-like form and blocks all attacks, stop attacking immediately. Each blocked attack adds a stack to Overload, which can wipe the party if allowed to reach 20 stacks. Disabling auto-cast or turning your back to the boss can help. When the golden oozes spawn, all attention should be focused on them. The blue oozes are less urgent but should not be completely ignored.
Rescue the lab members by destroying the gates before they die. Successfully rescuing all the lab members will apply Destabilized to the Thaumanova Anomaly.
- Destabilized — Chibb and Greeza are helping to destabilize the Thaumanova anomaly, causing it to take 5% increased damage per stack.
- Players should spread out and break down each of the doors quickly.
- Some rooms will require you to destroy the portal inside before they are considered "rescued".
Players must navigate through a maze to disable the shielded collidors. To bring down the shields, party members need to interact with consoles. There are four consoles in the room: one console at locations 1 and 2, and two consoles at location 3. Players will need to activate console 1 to gain access to console 2 which grants access to the consoles at 3. The minimap shows the locations of the consoles in the maze.
The maze is guarded by golems and repulsor turrets. Golems will only aggro if the player steps within the orange circle at their feet; if they do, the golem will become fixated on the player and attack them until the effect wears off or the player moves out of range. They may also deaggro when hit with the Shield's Repulsor Bolt skill. Players may pick up safety shields at the entrance to the maze to absorb the repulsor turrets' attacks:
- Safety Shield — bundles to block turret attacks
1 and 2 only need one player each, while 3 is designed for two players. However, one person can handle Console 3 by standing between the two consoles, and interacting with each one manually. Alternatively, they may use skills and traits that remove conditions, or use a teleport to move between each console. It is possible to dodge through the laser bolts, and there are small areas where the bolts will not hit, allowing more experienced players to navigate the maze without a shield. Stability will stop you from being knocked down if you are hit, but will not block the laser's damage. If you die, the shield will be left at the location you died and will not reset at the entrance; however, there are plenty of extra shields at the entrance.
After the consoles are disabled, the lasers and golems will deactivate, and a cooling rod will appear in front of the 3rd console. Teleport buttons will become available near the 2nd and 3rd consoles to allow players to quickly exit the maze.
The cooling chamber requires players to reach the opposite end of the room. While in the room, players will be constantly damaged by the heat and slowed. Their skill bar will change to the below skills. The Heat Shield is obtained by holding a Cooling Rod. Cooling Rods can be obtained by clearing the other rooms.
- Meltdown — entering the superheated cooling chamber deals damage and changes the player's skills.
|1||(unnamed skill)||¼||Movement speed increased by 5 percent. Stacks intensity.|
|2||Heat Shield||16||Create a shield that will protect against intense heat.|
Cooling Rods can be placed in the Cooling Rod Receptacles near the sides of the chamber to reduce the damage received, and provide a safe zone where players do not take damage. While the player's skill bar will change, their utility slot skills will not, allowing players to use teleport skills and skills that can mitigate damage. It is possible to dodge through the flame wall that slowly advances towards the entrance. Teleport, shadowstep, and other movement skills can help players cross the chamber quickly:
- Rocket Boots — allows the player to move through part of the chamber very quickly
- Dash — allows the player to move through most of the chamber very quickly
- Conjure Fiery Greatsword — has two movement abilities that can be used to traverse through most of the chamber
- Portal Entre — set a portal outside of the chamber and run in to set the portal exit, allowing party members to skip nearly halfway through the chamber
- Summon Flesh Wurm — using Necrotic Traversal allows you to get through about 1/3rd of the chamber instantly
- Death's Charge — allows the player to move through part of the chamber very quickly
- Sand Swell — allows the player to teleport a decent way through, and even allow other players to traverse a bit of the chamber quickly
- Wings of Resolve — allows the player to leap through part of the chamber very quickly
- Charge (with Become the Bear) — allows the player to move through most of the chamber very quickly
- Dash (with Become the Snow Leopard) — allows the player to move through most of the chamber very quickly
Damage mitigation and other survival skills can help players survive longer:
- Rigorous Certainty (from Mistlock Singularity) — negates fatal damage and provides a moderate heal
- Infuse Light — negates the damage from the chamber while healing the herald
- Defiant Stance — negates the damage from the chamber while healing the warrior
- A.E.D. — negates fatal damage and provides a massive heal
- Death Shroud — gives the player an additional health bar allowing to survive longer
- Reaper's Shroud — gives the player an additional health bar allowing to survive longer
Once all four colliders are disabled, return to the central platform. Each party member must activate the console on the west side of the reactor (by Scarlet) to be teleported up to the final boss platform. Once players reach the boss platform, they will gain the Special action skill Hex Shield (Default key: ), which prevents a platform from disappearing.
Throughout the fight, the Anomaly will occasionally make platforms disappear with its attacks. Platforms marked for disappearing will fade in and out for a few seconds and reappear after a short while. At 75%, 50%, and 25%, the outer platforms will disappear permanently, reducing the area players can move around.
- Binding Bolt - Channeled attack, single target. Platform under targeted foe disappears.
- Flux Bomb - Single target. Damages target and surrounding foes after a couple of seconds. Target will have a bomb appear above their head.
- Cosmic Barrage - Summons a ring of orbs that damage any foes nearby.
- Star Smash - Heavy melee attack that Launches foes.
- Cosmic Anomaly - Affected foes take damage and platforms surrounding them will dissipate.
- Cosmic Instability — temporarily destroys platforms near players
The best way to avoid falling is to spread out and be aware of where your teammates are at all times. Avoid running into each other, otherwise you may cause them to fall off, and if you do happen to come in contact with someone, run along with them to reduce the number of platforms that disappear. Smart use of Hex Shield will prevent the platform you are currently standing on from disappearing, and it can be used on the same platform multiple times in a row by different players. Players who have fallen off the area will reappear in the center where the boss is. Even though it is surrounded by a barrier that repels players, it is possible to revive them by standing close enough. Teleport skills will allow you to move to a safe platform in dire straits, and it is possible to jump a one hex gap. When your hex starts to fade, immediately move and/or dodge to a safe hex. But, remember that the attack may follow you, so you may need to keep moving.
|Thaumanova Reactor Fractal Stabilizer||Fractals of the Mists||5|
|You've completed the Thaumanova Reactor fractal inside the Fractals of the Mists.Thaumanova melted down, but you didn't!||1 Fractal||5|
|Great Heights||Fractals of the Mists||5|
|Defeat the Anomaly without anyone falling off the platform inside the Thaumanova Reactor fractal.||Defeated the Anomaly without Any Member of Your Party Falling||5|
|Subject 6 Deep-Sixer||Fractals of the Mists||15|
|Defeat Subject 6 after causing it to gain maximum stacks of overcharge possible without exploding. Make Subject 6 as tough as possible. You can handle it||1 Subject 6 defeated||5|
- Bring Subject 6 to 19 stacks of Overload before killing it, and do not let it reach 20 stacks at any point thereafter (it explodes at 20 exact). If it reaches 20 stacks, the achievement is voided.
- It is advisable to have only 2 to 3 players attack Subject 6 while it is blocking. This will allow you to build up stacks quickly enough while making it easier to back off and avoid going over.
- Elite Inquest Engineer
- Elite Inquest Guard
- Elite Inquest Golemancer
- Elite Inquest Medic
- Elite Inquest Operative
- Elite Inquest Sharpshooter
- Inquest Assistant
- Inquest Technician
- Inquest Technician Chibb
- Inquest Technician Greeza
- Veteran Inquest Extinguisher
- Veteran Inquest Operative
- Veteran Inquest Technician
- Elite Flame Legion Fire Shaman
- Flame Legion Shadowblade
- Flame Legion Stalker
- Veteran Flame Legion Blademaster
- Veteran Flame Legion Bladestorm
- Veteran Flame Legion Igniter
- Charr (Molten Alliance)
- Constructs (Flame Legion)
- Champion Giant Destroyer Crab
- Destroyer Crabling
- Destroyer Harpy
- Destroyer Troll
- Veteran Destroyer Troll
- Environmental objects
- Upon entering the Thaumanova Fractal
- Dessa Observation Mode: You're in. And you're Inquest. Don't let that throw you, though. You're still basically you.
- Dessa Observation Mode: I probably should have mentioned: gross corporeal reassignment is a known potential side effect of Fractal insertion.
- Dessa Observation Mode: If you're looking into the cause of this disaster, you'll need a reactor-core sample.
- Dessa Observation Mode: Very well. With random monsters teleporting in, and off-the-charts energy readings, I advise making a shortcut.
- Dessa Observation Mode: There should be explosive units nearby. Use one to breach the wall and you'll have much easier access.
- Dessa Observation Mode: Our signal is too weak. Temporal drift left you long past the target time. Nothing we can do now but press on.
- When finding dessa's former krewe member dead
- Dessa Observation Mode: I know that technican from my old krewe. Her name was Greeza. If only we could have gotten you in sooner.
- Dessa Observation Mode: That's Chibb, a former krewemate of mine. Looks like he hasn't been dead for long, poor thing.
- Passing by the Inquest Operatives near beginning
- Veteran Inquest Technician: What are you doing? This entire place is about to go up in a blinding flash of chaos magic.
- Veteran Inquest Operative (1): Chaos magic? That's not what the special consultant says. You don't have any idea what's really going on here, do you?
- Veteran Inquest Operative (2): No, but I know that things were fine until your precious "special consultant" came along.
- Veteran Inquest Operative (2): I also know we're dead if we don't get out of here with as much valuable data as we can carry.
- Upon activating the central control console
- Dessa Observation Mode: I'd like to know more about that special consultant, but this situation is deteriorating even faster than I expected.
- Dessa Observation Mode: By my readings, you can't get the core sample you need right now. The reactor's too hot. You need to cool it down.
- Dessa Observation Mode: I say disable the colliders in the adjacent labs and stop them from bombarding the core with high-magic particles.
- Dessa Observation Mode: That'll buy you time to get the sample and keep more of the researches alive long enough to talk to them.
- When approaching the cooling chamber
- Dessa Observation Mode: The cooling chamber is overheating, but a cooling rod would slow the reaction. Did you bring one?
- When further inside the cooling chamber
- Dessa Observation Mode: Keep going! We can talk about the grotesque consequences of nigh-lethal radiation later.
- Dessa Observation Mode: You may be experiencing some discomfort and a strange smell, but that's just your skin melting.
- Dessa Observation Mode: You made it! Though I can almost smell the boiling vomit and burning body fat from here.
- When approaching the repulsor lab
- Dessa Observation Mode: Look for safety shields. Even the Inquest wouldn't conduct repulsor experiments without them.
- Dessa Observation Mode: That shield should should absorb the repulsator beams. Just make sure to let it cool between blasts.
- When approaching the dormitories
- (some lines may depend on how long it takes to free the NPCs)
- Dessa Observation Mode: You're just in time. Get as many of those people moving as you can. Some of them may actually make it.
- Dessa Observation Mode: You're going to need the access code for that security door. One of the surviving technicians should have it.
- Inquest Technican Greeza: Help! Break down the door before I'm fully barbecued!
- Inquest Technican Chibb: Get me out of here! Some sort of toxic gas is filling the chamber!
- Dessa Observation Mode: That's Greeza from my old krewe! Though she looks different—never mind, just keep her safe.
- Dessa Observation Mode: That's Chibb, an old krewemate. Keep him alive; he definitely has answers.
- Inquest Technican Greeza: Come on. Please! The fire is getting closer!
- Inquest Technican Chibb: I don't want to die gasping. It's undignified.
- Inquest Technican Chibb: Can't...breathe...
- Inquest Technician: The next lab I work at has to have a strict "no sylvari consultants" rule.
- Inquest Technician: Thanks, Inquest! Thanks, Scarlet! This is the best experiment ever!
- Inquest Technician: You saved me! Look for me near the control panel. I'll help if I can.
- Inquest Technician: I owe you one. Once I get to the control panel, I'll help you however I can. [verification requested]
- Inquest Technician: Thanks again. But we need to get out of here before the reactor goes critical, or my thanks won't mean much. [verification requested]
- When the two Inquest Technicians from dormitories reach the entrance [verification requested]
- Inquest Technician (1): Just when I thought things couldn't get any worse, the facility itself attacks me.
- Inquest Technician (2): It's all that special consultant's fault. She came in, started making recommendations, egged the krewe chief on...
- Inquest Technician (1): He responded, too. Got into a "who can push things further faster" contest. She's got a history with us, apparently.
- Inquest Technician (2): Great. Studying chaos magic wasn't enough. Oh no. Scarlet has to harness it and amplify it and agitate it.
- Inquest Technician (1): Leave it to a sylvari to foul up machinery. She doesn't even recognize chaos magic. Says it's something else entirely.
- Inquest Technician (2): Come on. Let's get out of here. Whatever that energy is, I've had enough.
- Approaching the live samples lab
- Inquest Technician: Let me out! This hurts! I don't want to die here!
- Elite Inquest Operative: Stop whining. I need these results, and in case you haven't noticed, we're running out of time.
- Elite Inquest Operative: Yes, the experiment will probably kill you. But it will also advance the Inquest's march toward total world domination.
- Elite Inquest Operative: Subject 6 is nearly ready. Now pipe down and take your medicine. Some of us intend to survive this fiasco.
- Elite Inquest Operative: Wait! you can't slime me to death. I'm your creator! Aaaah!
- Dessa Observation Mode: Look out! That so-called Subject 6 is loose.
- Dessa Observation Mode: It seems to be of the ooze family, but radically mutated. Even more caustic, corrosive, and calamitous than usual.
- Dessa Observation Mode: There's a cooling rod in that area. If you can acquire it and not get slimed to death, do so. It may come in handy.
- Dessa Observation Mode: The ooze is blocking access to the collider. You're going to have to kill it, so prepare to get slimy. (When reaching Subject 6)
- Dessa Observation Mode: The little oozes are trying to repair the big one. Deal with them first. (During the Alpha 6 battle, repeats)
- Disabling the first collider
- Dessa Observation Mode: You have to shut down more colliders before you can extract a core sample.
- Disabling the final collider
- Dessa Observation Mode: I think you're ready for the extraction. Head to the control panel and give it a try.
- Finding Scarlet Briar taking sample
- Scarlet Briar: Reactor approaching critical, panicked evacuation, general mayhem and hysteria... Yep, I'd say my work here is done.
- Scarlet Briar: Sorry about all the death, and for the portal pandemonium.
- Scarlet Briar: I told the Inquest chaos energy was a misnomer. Mind you, dragon energy is tricky, so I can see how they flubbed it.
- Scarlet Briar: At least they helped identify the network of magical channels that crisscross the globe. That was a breakthrough.
- Scarlet Briar: Now we know how NOT to do this kind of research right on an intersection of those channels. Live and learn, right?
- Scarlet Briar: That's progress. Hooray for progress! Ooh, but it's getting a bit too deadly in here for me. 'Bye now! (Disappears afterwards)
- Dessa Observation Mode: I don't know how to say this, but the energies in that facility are...becoming something. It's an anomaly I can't explain.
- Approaching Thaumanova Anomaly
- Dessa Observation Mode: I don't know if that anomaly is intelligent, but it's definitely hostile. And the only way out is past it.
- Dessa Observation Mode: Full meltdown is moments away. You have to get by that thing, and fast. If it doesn't kill you, the radiation will.
- (when saved Greeza and Chibbs previously)
- Inquest Technican Greeza: Now I return the favor you did me. I'm going to overcharge the reactor and destabilize that monster.
- Inquest Technican Chibb: Helping is noble, but I also want to live. Oh well. We're probably all doomed anyway, so I might as well pitch in.
- Dessa Observation Mode: Everybody you saved is pitching in to help disperse the anomaly. See? Virtue is its own reward.
- During Thaumanova Anomaly battle
- Dessa Observation Mode: Watch your step. There is a 99.9—with lots more nines—percent chance that falling into the reactor core will be fatal.
- Dessa Observation Mode: I think your attacks are causing it to destabilize. Be careful. It doesn't like that one bit.
- Dessa Observation Mode: Now the anomaly's overloading! Careful, that beam attack can permanently disperse platforms. (When Thaumanova Anomaly reaches 25% HP)
- Dessa Observation Mode: This is it! We've hit criticality! Rerouting all power to Fractal extraction! (Upon victory)
- In the area after defeating the Thaumanova Anomaly
- Thaumanova Reactor Filed Researcher: I'm observing things. I need a new guide book.
- Good luck with that.
- Incinerator I: The Experimental Dagger: Asura Lab Materials
- The Predator I: The Experimental Rifle: Thaumanova Research Notes
- Twilight I: The Experimental Nightsword: Reactor Meltdown
- HOPE III: Prototype: Thaumanova Anomaly Spark
- Bolt III: Zap: Bottle of Thaumanova Energy
- Bolt III: Zap: Bottle of Reactor Energy
- Incinerator III: Spark: Ever-Burning Fuel
- Sunrise III: Dawn: Radioactive Brightness
- The Juggernaut III: The Colossus: Irradiated Ooze
- This Fractal was added as a result of players choosing Ellen Kiel over Evon Gnashblade during the election held as part of Cutthroat Politics.