Day and night
Day and night are two environment states which affect certain gameplay mechanics, including the appearances of certain weapons and sylvari glow.
In most areas of the game, day and night alternate according to the day-night cycle. Any zone or instance that does not follow the cycle will be permanently frozen in either the day state or the night state. The day-night mechanic is intended as an element of realism in the game; for example, the day-night cycle mimics the passage of real time, and the night state of many underground dungeons reflects the darker feeling of those locations.
A single day-night cycle lasts for 2 hours. It is broken into four stages: day (70 minutes), dusk (5 minutes), night (40 minutes), and dawn (5 minutes).
For the purposes of mechanics that can't transition smoothly between day and night behaviors, dawn is considered night and dusk is considered day. Food is a notable exception; it will trigger its day behavior during dawn as well.
All zones obeying the day-night cycle are synchronized to the same schedule. The following timer shows the current status:
|Full Daily Schedule|
List of locations with day-night cycle
- Most cities and explorable zones in the open world
- Instances accessible via the open world:
- Guild Halls
- Heart of the Mists
- Core World versus World zones:
List of zones not on cycle
|Citadel of Flame||Night|
|Honor of the Waves||Day|
|Crucible of Eternity (story mode)||Day|
|Crucible of Eternity (explorable mode)||Night|
|The Ruined City of Arah||Day|
|Stronghold of the Faithful||Day|
|Bastion of the Penitent||Day|
|Hall of Chains||Day|
|Fractals of the Mists|
|Aquatic Ruins Fractal||Day|
|Captain Mai Trin Boss Fractal||Day|
|Chaos Isles Fractal||Day|
|Molten Boss Fractal||Day|
|Molten Furnace Fractal||Day|
|Shattered Observatory Fractal (normal mode)||Day|
|Shattered Observatory Fractal (challenge mode)||Both|
|Solid Ocean Fractal||Night|
|Thaumanova Reactor Fractal||Day|
|Twilight Oasis Fractal||Night|
|Underground Facility Fractal||Night|
|Urban Battlegrounds Fractal||Day|
|Battle of Champion's Dusk||Night|
|Battle of Kyhlo||Night|
|Forest of Niflhel||Night|
|Hall of the Mists||Night|
|Legacy of the Foefire||Day|
|Revenge of the Capricorn||Night|
|Temple of the Silent Storm||Night|
|Bitterfrost Frontier (during the storm)||Night|
|Bitterfrost Frontier (while the sky is clear)||Day|
|Edge of the Mists||Day|
|Lion's Arch (only during Halloween)||Night|
|Personal story instances||Varies|
Game elements affected by day-night state
Dynamic events, NPCs, and enemies
- Each major city will play a sound every 5 minutes, and a tune from the Guild Wars 2 soundtrack every 2 hours at dawn:
- In Lion's Arch, the Phoenix Roost Lighthouse plays an excerpt from Overture.
- In the Black Citadel, gongs will play a bit from The Charr Triumphant.
- In Divinity's Reach, a tune will play from the orrery at Central Plaza.
- In Hoelbrak, a giant warhorn will resonate through the whole stead slowly playing the first notes of The Saga of the Norn. The warhorn can also be heard from outside Hoelbrak when standing close to the entrance in Wayfarer Foothills.
- In Rata Sum, the golems through the city will play play a morning alarm to the tune of Snaff's Workshop and say "Good morning" three times.
- In The Grove, the flowers and reeds hanging from a twisting branch at Upper Commons will act as wind chimes to play a fragment of Fear Not This Night.
- Shaemoor Cemetery will have a Priest of Grenth investigating a restless spirit in the day, who appears as the Lady in White at night. Bats are also found in the cemetery only at night.
- Lion's Arch Exterminator achievement requires going into the Lion's Shadow Bed and Breakfast, which is only open at dawn, dusk, and night.
- Verdant Brink's meta events focus on building defenses by day and defending against attacks at night.
- Bloodstone Fen is swarming with White Mantle during the day, but spirits (mostly) come out to attack at night.
- Ghosts haunt Lake Doric at night, triggering two events (1 and 2) and allowing access to a hidden achievement and a hungry cat.
- The two hungry kittens in The Grove will only accept food during certain times of day. The black kitten will accept food during the day (not dusk), and the white kitten will accept food at night (not dawn).
- The funeral procession to the Necropolis will spawn at dawn and dusk.
- The Sunspear assault on Palawadan starts always at dusk.
Sigil of the Night
- Primary article: Sigil of the Night
Sigils of the Night are weapon sigils that increase outgoing damage during the night state.
|Sigil of the Night||Rarity||Level||Bonus|
|Minor Sigil of the Night||Masterwork||20||Outgoing damage is increased by 5% at night.|
|Major Sigil of the Night||Rare||40||Outgoing damage is increased by 7% at night.|
|Superior Sigil of the Night||Exotic||60||Outgoing damage is increased by 10% at night.|
- Primary article: Food
The following foods confer different bonuses depending on whether it is day or night. Dawn and dusk are both considered day for the purposes of this mechanic.
|10||30m||Chili Pepper Popper||Day: 8% Chance to gain might on crit|
|20||30m||Bowl of Fancy Bean Chili|| +20 Ferocity |
Day: 8% Chance to cause Burning on Critical Hit
Night: 8% Chance to Steal Life on Critical Hit
|20||30m||Stuffed Pepper||Day: 16% Chance to gain might on crit|
|30||30m||Stuffed Zucchini|| Day: 24% Chance to gain might on crit |
Night: 24% Chance to cause chill on crit
|35||30m||Bowl of Zucchini Chili|| +30 Ferocity |
Day: 12% Chance to cause Burning on Critical Hit
Night: 12% Chance to Steal Life on Critical Hit
|46||60m||Bowl of Degun Shun Stew|| +30 Ferocity|
Day: 12% Chance to Burn on Critical Hit
Night: 12% Chance to Steal Life on Critical Hit
+10% Experience from Kills
|50||30m||Bowl of Hummus|| Day: 28% Chance to gain might on crit |
Night: 28% Chance to cause chill on crit
|50||30m||Bowl of Spiced Veggie Chili|| +20 Ferocity |
Day: 14% Chance to cause Burning on Critical Hit
Night: 14% Chance to Steal Life on Critical Hit
|65||30m||Roasted Artichoke|| Day: 36% Chance to gain might on crit |
Night: 36% Chance to cause chill on crit
|70||30m||Bowl of Spicy Veggie Chili|| +40 Ferocity |
Day: 18% Chance to cause Burning on Critical Hit
Night: 18% Chance to Steal Life on Critical Hit
|80||30m||Ghost Pepper Popper|| Day: 40% Chance to gain might on crit |
Night: 40% Chance to cause chill on crit
|80||30m||Bowl of Fire Veggie Chili|| +50 Ferocity |
Day: 20% Chance to cause Burning on Critical Hit
Night: 20% Chance to Steal Life on Critical Hit
The following weapons have different appearances during day and night states:
- Primary article: Physical appearance/Sylvari
Sylvari will glow when in the night state. This glow appears gradually during dusk, and disappears gradually during dawn. For playable characters, the color and intensity of the glow is set during character creation.
- Primary article: Customized soundtrack
For players who customize their in-game music, many explorable zones that use the default Ambient playlist during the day state will switch to the NightTime playlist in the night state.