Caudecus's Manor (explorable)
Caudecus the Wise is currently accepting the hospitality of Queen Jennah while repairs are being made to his manor. Others seek to profit from the minister's absence.
— In-game description
Lord Caudecus is the guest of the queen, and his mansion is being watched over by the Shining Blade. However, bandits are also active in the area, seeking to pillage the unprotected mansion, capture its staff, and recover the asuran technology that Uzolan had pirated.
- 1 Dungeon information
- 2 Rewards
- 3 Walkthrough
- 4 NPCs
- 5 Dialogue
- All paths
Meet with Shining Blade Exemplar Talie.
- Talk to Shining Blade Exemplar Talie.
- Asura path
Meet with Shining Blade Exemplar Talie.
- Find the asuran technology expert.
- Talk to Traffa.
Help Traffa locate the stolen asura technology.
- Go with Traffa and destroy asuran technology in the mansion.
- Damaged golem
- Asuran technology destroyed: x/9
- Investigate the barn.
- Gunpowder Morgan
Clear out the bandits.
- Kill Bloody Victoria.
- Bloody Victoria
- Kill Frost.
- Frost's smuggling ring has been broken.
- Seraph path
Locate the missing Seraph.
- Locate the missing Seraph.
- Rescue Rosina.
- Find Rosina's satchel.
- Take the satchel to Rosina.: x/1
- Search for the other members of Rosina's squad.
- Rescue Potter.: x/1
Save the Seraph sergeant from the bandits.
- Search for the capture sergeant.
- Place powder kegs near the blocked gate.
- Powder kegs placed: x/5
- Overwhelm the bandit defenses.
- Mad Martha
- Rescue the Seraph sergeant.
- The Seraph have been rescued and the bandits have been stopped.
- Butler path
Learn about the missing servants.
- Locate Minister Caudecus's butler.
- Rescue Albert.
- Search for the missing servants.
- Rescue the kidnapped servants.
- Bandits killed: x/3
Stop the slave-running operation.
- Stop the slave shipment.
- The slavers have been stopped and the servants are free.
- 70% experience towards the next character level
- Bonus Gold (first time each day per account)
- 20 Seals of Beetletuns for the successful completion of a path
- 80 Seals of Beetletuns as bonus for the first completion per path per day
- Bandit Spineguard
- Beetlestone's Band
- Caudecus's Journal
- Spineguard of the North (path 1)
- Recipe: Plague (path 2)
- Recipe: Vallog's Demise (path 3)
- Ranged damage is often encountered and can be countered with projectile reflection skills such as Feedback or Wall of Reflection. This particularly applies to rifle and grenade attacks.
- Stealth can be useful to skip phases where combat isn't required, e.g. moving through the basement.
- Teleports and shadow steps can be used to move beyond traps.
- Most of the damage in the dungeon is physical damage, leaving bandits susceptible to blind.
- A Powerful Potion of Outlaw Slaying works against almost all foes in the dungeon.
Speaking with Exemplar Talie in the courtyard will give you three possible paths.
Path 1: Helping the visiting Asura
Interact with the broken golem in the courtyard, and then head down into the basement using the stairs in the Grand Salon. Starting with the eastern end, move through the basement clearing out the various elite bandits to reach each asuran device. Approaching the western corridor, you will see Riflemen at the far end - these do high damage to moving targets. Ignore them for the moment and clear out the side rooms on the right. The first room contains only Flame and Net turrets, but the second contains Bandits too.
- Sure-shot Seamus
At the far western end of the basement you will encounter Sure-shot Seamus and three Net Turrets. Attacking Seamus is optional - he turns friendly at 25% and does not provide loot. Destroying the ninth piece of asuran technology opens the exit door to the garden allowing him to be skipped. If engaged, he starts the fight with a pair of pistols and uses a rapid fire ability that causes bleeding, before switching to a shot gun after a small amount of damage has been done to him. When he switches to the rifle, he uses a skill called Blowout that fires in a cone in front of him and causes knockdown. He will repeat this attack if he can, causing players to be continuously stunned if not careful.
From the basement exit, continue to the barn opposite. Entering it will cause a cutscene to play. After the cutscene finishes, a dozen riflemen will spawn in the rafters above the next boss.
- Gunpowder Morgan
Gunpowder Morgan will throw grenades as his main attack, kicks close range targets, and every 15-20 seconds will carpet bomb the area around him. His main attack is avoidable without even needing to dodge, just move to the side whenever a circle appears beneath you. Typically, one party member will watch the initial cutscene while the other four get into position to where the riflemen have yet to spawn - doing this means that they can take out the bandits without being shot en-route. After eliminating the riflemen, focus on Morgan. With Morgan defeated, walk through the collapsed side-wall of the barn into the tunnels.
- Bloody Victoria
Bloody Victoria will be the next boss you face. She is a melee boss, and uses Death Blossom to inflict 6 stacks of bleeding. Also, she will often vanish and reappear behind a random party member. When she reappears, she performs a stun and a backstab that could down a player. It is easier to predict her movements if fighting her with your back against one of the nearby walls, or in a corner.
The next three chambers are often skipped/stealthed past, and contain various regular and elite bandits. A ramp is also available around the perimeter of the first room to allow you to avoid some groups.
The final boss possesses some very annoying mechanics. His main attack uses an ice-thrower, which chills the target and inflicts damage. Occasionally he uses the skill Ice Shard that will freeze a target in place. The main issue with being chilled is that it makes it harder to avoid both (i) the three rocket turrets, and (ii) the additional golems that activate separately at 75%, 50%, and 25% of Frost's health. It is recommended that you bring a ranged weapon to this fight, and essentially kite Frost around the encampment taking care not to get hung up on the variety of small obstacles on the ground. Condition removal is also advised for this fight.
Path 2: Looking for the Seraph
From the Grand Salon, head up the western stairs and proceed along the corridor, clearing out the marked rooms as you go, followed by interacting with each object. The first room on the right contains Taylor, a dual pistol toting champion. At the end of the corridor you will find Medic Rosina cowering.
Backtrack down the corridor to the stairs - standing at the top of the opposite stairs will be three riflemen, some turrets, and the melee champion Marius. Drawing Marius away from the stairs makes killing him easier. Once you've made your way to the top of the stairs, you will find a door on the left to a bedroom.
In the bedroom, standing anywhere except on a rug will cause small spike traps in the floor to hurt you when you move. The trick is to retrieve some pillows and throw them onto the floor so that you can walk across it to the satchel. Further complicating things, the bandits inside the bedroom will throw grenades and shoot you while you attempt to cross the floor. Picking up the satchel opens an exit door back down to the Grand Salon. (Thieves can shadowstep to the satchel from the floor below to skip the spikes within the room). After retrieving the satchel, use the first waypoint and proceed slowly to Bridgette in the southeast corner.
The first boss you will encounter is Bridgette. She will use the skill Symbol of Faith, which regenerates her health and damages enemies. She will also use Symbol of Wrath, which gives her retaliation and also damages you. Her two symbols will only damage you if you stand in the circle, but her Symbol of Faith will not have a red ring, so be careful.
After Bridgette is an optional boss, the Hunting Hound, which inflicts five second stuns and inflicts AoE fear. Most groups skip the hound by circling around the front of the manor outbuildings.
- Bombing the Gate
Opposite the gate is a stash of Powder Kegs. Five Powder Kegs need to be placed in the red rings in front of the gate, behind a group of infinitely respawning bandits. When all five are placed at once, the gate will explode - the difficulty is however that the Bandits will pick up any Powder Kegs they come across. The most frequently seen method is to drop some decoy kegs away from the gate (e.g. near the house) - all of the bandits will then rush towards the decoy keg - while the party regroups at the keg stash and then carries one keg each to place beneath the gate. If this goes wrong, assign one player to run however many kegs are still required while the others kill the bandits running to the gate. Powder Kegs dropped in the wrong place can be picked up and dropped again.
- Mad Martha
Beyond the gate is a narrow valley with yet more ranged bandits. Reflection skills work well here. Martha herself doesn't pose much more of a threat than the surrounding bandits.
The final boss of this path is quite powerful. He will constantly cast large AoE circles which inflict chilled, poison, bleeding, cripple, and weakness conditions. He will also use Plague Form, which turns him invulnerable and charges towards a random player, causing heavy damage as well as inflicting conditions on those nearby. Avoid the red circles before they hit because a follow-up circle can easily finish you off. Having a ranged weapon available for this fight allows you to continue fighting while avoiding standing in the red circles.
Path 3: Finding the missing Butler
- Sure-shot Seamus
Head through the open western door to the mansion into the garden beyond. The butler Albert is surrounded by the first boss, Sure-shot Seamus, and his three bandit associates. Stability skills such as Hallowed Ground and "Stand Your Ground!" are recommended to avoid being chain knocked-back by Seamus' blunderbuss cone skill (projectile reflection does not work against the blunderbuss). Killing Seamus triggers a cutscene and opens a nearby basement door.
The basement contains turrets and riflemen. When you've made your way to the far end of the basement, either by clearing out the bandits or stealthing past, open the secret passage by using the button. Have each player pick up a Rocket Reflector bundle and move towards the ten Rocket Turrets. Reflect the rockets with your five bundle skills to destroy the turrets (the turrets are otherwise immune to damage, and non-bundle reflect skills do not work versus the turrets).
The next boss is Wahlen, who uses grenades similar to a Bandit Bombardier. His attack pattern is fairly simple; he will throw five regular grenades, and then use a multi-grenade AoE.
After Wahlen is a short corridor with a series of spike traps. Stick close to one of the walls and avoid standing on the traps while the red circle is showing. A small group of riflemen stand in the doorway, killing them will deactivate the traps behind in case you need to revive downed players.
The next chambers are identical to those at the end of Path 1 described above.
Vallog is a harathi centaur slaver boss found on a platform at the end of the dungeon. Before he turns aggressive, you will need to kill the three stationary Bandit Riflemen. Vallog uses multiple low damage ranged AoE skills. He can be killed on his raft very easily and is one of the easiest fights of the dungeon. Melee players can jump on his raft to damage him and the most they have to fear is being knocked into the shallow water, which they can jump back onto the platform from.
- Albert the Butler
- Estate Worker
- Exemplar Talie
- Medic Rosina
- Sergeant Gunther
- Shining Blade
- Bandit Bombardier
- Bandit Bomber
- Bandit Cutpurse
- Bandit Enforcer
- Bandit Hooligan
- Bandit Rifleman
- Bandit Saboteur
- Bandit Scatter Shot
- Bandit Scout
- Bandit Thug
- Bloody Victoria
- Elite Bandit Archer
- Elite Bandit Saboteur
- Elite PWR 935i
- Gunpowder Morgan
- Hunting Hound
- Mad Martha
- Net Turret
- Rocket Turret
- Sure-shot Seamus
Talking to Exemplar Talie (cinematic):
- Exemplar Talie: Halt. No one's allowed - wait. You rescued Queen Jennah. On behalf of the Shining Blade, you have our thanks.
- Exemplar Talie: I've locked down Caudecus's estate for further investigation, but I have three problems still in front of me.
- Exemplar Talie: There's an asura sent by the Arcane Council who needs help. I can't spare any. If you can, I'm sure she would welcome it.
- Exemplar Talie: There's also some Seraph missing and believed to be somewhere on the grounds. If you could find them, I'd greatly appreciate it.
- Exemplar Talie: Finally, I'm investigating the disappearance of Caudecus's butler. I could use your assistance in the matter.
- Exemplar Talie: When you're ready, let me know your plan and I'll open the doors for you.
Talking to Exemplar Talie after the cinematic:
- Exemplar Talie: Have you made a decision?
- I'll help the visiting asura.
- I'll look for the Seraph.
- I'll help you find the missing butler.
- I need more time to decide.
Helping the Asura
After choosing this path:
- Exemplar Talie: The asura is through the doors. Be careful. She appears to be carrying explosives.
After finding Traffa:
- Traffa: Oh, are you here to assist me? Excellent. You may call me Traffa.
- Traffa: I require assistance locating some pieces of stolen asura technology.
- Traffa: Point out any golem remains to me, and I'll dispose them. Oh. you might want to cover your ears.
Talking to Traffa before encountering the bandits:
- Traffa: I'm Traffa. Errant Technology Disposal Operative, First Class. You must be the associates I sent for.
That's right. What's the problem?
Do you know anything about the missing Seraph?
Have you seen the missing butler?
- You have been misinformed.
Talking to Traffa while engaging the bandits:
- Traffa: Bawh! Criminals! Cutthroats! Murderers! Pickpockets! They're all over the place. Stop them!
- Hang on. I'll handle them.
After destroying all pieces of technology:
- Traffa: We've scoured the manor, but I'm still getting readings.
- Traffa: There must be another source...uh, some place close.
- Traffa: Everyone, outside. We need to check the other buildings.
After defeating Sure-shot Seamus (cinematic):
- Sure-shot Seamus: Stop! Don't hurt me.
- Traffa: You and your associates, why are you stealing asura technology?
- Sure-shot Seamus: It was Frost's idea. He said after Caudecus got taken away, this place would be easy picking.
- Sure-shot Seamus: When we found these gizmos, Frost reconed we could sell them on the black market.
- Traffa: Terrific. First Uzolan, now this. Leave him, we have to stop this Frost before he steals anything else.
After the cinematic:
- Traffa: Gizmos! Honestly, decades of hard work and that bookah called it a gizmo.
Talking to Traffa:
- Traffa: Sparks and fuses! The bandits are taking asuran devices out of here, likely to sell them to any nefarious element they can find. This is disastrous!
- We can't allow that to happen. Let's go.
Confronting Gunpowder Morgan (cinematic):
- Gunpowder Morgan: Oh, look at this. This place is ours for taking. Find some other house to clean out.
- Traffa: I am Errant Technology Disposal Operative Traffa of Rata Sum, and you possess stolen technology.
- Traffa: I'm requesting that you hand them over for elimination. No questions will be asked if you comply now.
- Gunpowder Morgan: Ol' Frost would have my head for a bowl o' soup if I did that. Don't worry, runt. We'll take care of the elimination, starting with you.
After defeating Morgan:
- Traffa: Keep going. We have to locate Frost.
Encountering Bloody Victoria:
- Bloody Victoria: Hello, little one. You've been a busy little girl, haven't you?
- Bloody Victoria: No going further for you. It's too dangerous. You might get hurt.
- Traffa: We don't have time for this. Dispatch her!
After defeating Bloody Victoria:
- Traffa: Oh my, I've never had a bounty on my head before. Let's get this over with. Frost can't get away!
Encountering Frost (cinematic):
- Frost: You must be why the gizmo shipments stopped coming in. Huh, I expected something...bigger.
- Traffa: They're not...never mind. Step away from the stolen goods right now. They're dangerous and must be disposed of.
- Frost: We found them, they're ours. And they're gonna make us rich.
- Frost: You want them so bad? Come and take them. I'll skin you alive and fly you like a flag.
After defeating Frost (cinematic):
- Traffa: This incident report will make some interesting reading. Bandits, hidden passages, smuggling — not the typical day.
- Traffa: Usually, it's just me in a junkyard with explosives, safety goggles, and a notepad.
- Traffa: But your hard work will be mentioned in my report.
- Traffa: In the "Required Assistance" box, I will check "Yes." In pen, even. Thank you, and good day.
Talking to Traffa:
- Traffa: I've never had so much exitement in my life. I don't even know where to begin cataloging all of this. Oh, but where are my manners. Thank you. Thank you so much.
So, what's next for you?
- Document everything that happened here, file my report, and submit my receipts for reimbursement. Then hope I never get another assignment like this.
- I'll level with you: fighting isn't my equation. I enjoy a job well done, finely filed paperwork, and then a warm drink amid Rata Sum's hum and glow.
Are you joking? You did well out there. You're a natural adventurer.
- Oh, I suppose I did buckle a swash here and there. The other officers at Errant Technology are going to be verdant with envy at my tales. Take care, and thank you.
- You, too. Be safe out there.
Stick to paper-pushing. People like you get in the way of us professionals.
- Your profiency with rudeness is only matched by your loutish achievements at violence. I believe we are done here. Good day!
- My pleasure, desk jockey.
- But you made it through. Think of the stories you can tell. Take care.
- Good luck.
- You're welcome. Take care.
Finding the Seraph
- After choosing the path
- Exemplar Talie: "The Seraph soldiers are somewhere on the premises. Good luck."
- Finding Rosina (cut scene)
- Medic Rosina: "Bandits. A bunch of them blindsided us, dragged off my commander and another Seraph."
- Medic Rosina: "These masked rats held me here... they tried... they made me..."
- Medic Rosina: "...I'll be okay. They poisoned me. I can cure myself. Just get my satchel. I think it's nearby."
- Finding the satchel
- Medic Rosina: "Oh, thank you. I should have my strength back in a minute."
- Medic Rosina: "Those criminals have my friends. We need to get them back. No excuses. Let's go."
- Approaching Potter
- Bridgette: "What's the matter, Seraph? Afraid of a little fight?"
- Bandit Scout: "Cut his hamstrings. That'll stop him from running away."
- Defeating Bridgette (cut scene)
- Seraph Potter: "Rosina, you're alive. Thank Dwayna. I owe you for this."
- Seraph Potter: "The bandits took the sergeant through the gate, said they were going to make him kiss Lyssa's Tongue."
- Medic Rosina: "Oh, gods. We need to find the sergeant. Now!"
- Seraph Potter: "There's an army of bandits in there. Have you lost your mind?"
- Medic Rosina: "Lyssa's Tongue makes you talk. They used it on me, and I told them everything... even when I tried to stop."
- Medic Rosina: "I told them the sergeant knows all about Divinity's Reach security. We have to find him before he talks. Come on."
- Seraph Potter: "You didn't have a choice. They made you do it."
- Opening the gate
- Medic Rosina: "If those bandits learn anything because of me-"
- Seraph Potter: "We'll take care of this. Let's just find the sergeant."
- Finding the sergeant
- Turmaine: "Talk! Tell me everything about the Seraph, about how to get to that precious Queen Jennah."
- Sergeant Gunther: "No... I won't tell you... I... I..."
- Turmaine: "Sure you won't."
- Freeing the sergeant
- Medic Rosina: "Hold still, Sergeant. I can put together an antidote."
- Medic Rosina: "I'm sorry. They used the potion on me. I told them how much you knew. If I only held out longer I..."
- Sergeant Gunther: "Maybe it's the drug talking, but you're being too hard on yourself."
- Sergeant Gunther: "You fought against overwhelming odds, rescued your superior, and stopped a bandit operation."
- Sergeant Gunther: "Job well done. Now, about that antidote."
- Medic Rosina: "Right away, Sergeant."
Finding the Butler
After choosing this path:
- Exemplar Talie: The butler vanished before I could question him about what happened here. We need to find him alive.
Finding the butler:
- Albert: Please. Show mercy. Let me go.
- Bandit Enforcer: You know, Vallog doesn't seem like a guy who needs a butler.
- Sure-shot Seamus: Maybe he'll hunt him for sport.
After saving Albert (cinematic):
- Albert: Thank Dwayna you found me. I thought I was going to end up like them. They're all in terrible danger.
- Exemplar Talie: Slow down. Who is in danger? Who were those people?
- Albert: Bandits. They're everywhere. They've taken the rest of the staff deeper into my master's estate.
- Exemplar Talie: You'll be safe, but don't leave the estate grounds. I still have a few questions about your master.
Talking to Albert:
- Albert: I shall tend to this mess. You head on and save the rest of the staff.
Why are the bandits taking the people?
- I haven't the foggiest idea. Those ruffians just appeard and started taking us away. You have to stop them!
Where did they go?
- I saw them go further down the passages. Please hurry.
- Got it. Stay here. We'll save the others.
Why is the Shining Blade interested in you?
- Don't worry. I'll save them.
- Servant: Please, no. Let me go!
- Bandit Scout: Forget Vallog. We should kill these whiners.
- Bandit Enforcer: Corpses lead to questions. These whiners know too much. They need to vanish.
After defeating Wahlen (cinematic):
- Servant: They stormed in here and started hauling people down to the river.
- Servant: They kept mentioning a name. Vallog. Kept saying he's coming. And we're to be sold to him.
- Servant: They just took another group to the river. If you hurry, you can catch them.
- Exemplar Talie: All of you stay here. We'll find the rest of the staff.
- Vallog: I don't like delays. Where are my slaves?
- Exemplar Talie: Slavery's illegal in Kryta. Even the animals know that. It looks like some animals need to be reminded.
- Vallog: You'll regret those words when I whip the skin off your bones!
After defeating Vallog (cinematic):
- Exemplar Talie: Bandits selling their own kind to the centaurs? Disgusts me to even think about it.
- Exemplar Talie: Those passages couldn't have been built without someone being aware.
- Exemplar Talie: I'm sure one of the servants has to know something. The Shining Blade will handle it from here.
- Exemplar Talie: Thank you, and safe travels.