Looking For Group
Using the Tool
This tool is accessed through a tab in the Contacts and LFG panel (default ) then clicking on the navigation bar. It can also be accessed by talking to each dungeon cryer for any dungeon or by walking up to the entrance of any dungeon. Groups are separated into multiple categories and subcategories for many types of game content. Only groups that have room will be displayed. If your party has enough room to merge with another advertised party, then a "Merge" option will appear. If either party doesn't have enough room to merge, the option will be greyed out. (Ex. A party of 2 cannot merge with a party of 4) Groups from other worlds are listed for each category except for the Living World and Personal Story categories, which show groups for your current world. [verification requested]
To create a group you must first select a category then click the "Advertise Your Party" button to create a listing. You will then be presented with a text box to give details on what you are looking for ("Story Mode", "Champion run", "Claw Island", etc). Enter the description to complete the listing. A blue search icon will appear next to your chosen category and your group will appear at the top of the list, with your icon highlighted in green. You can wait for people to join your group or you may select any other group and click "Merge Parties" to merge into one.
In the list, each party will have white icons for the professions that are currently present in the party. Hovering over the listing it will display a list of profession icons and the character names of the players. Any mutually friended players (both players have the other player added to their friends list) will have blue icons and their party will be near the top of the list, below yours. Players representing the same guild will appear with yellow icons.
The tool has limited auto-refresh. If a party fills up or disbands it will become grey in the window. You will need to click Refresh for the listing to disappear and for newly listed parties to appear.
Along with the LFG tool, the chat panel has a filter called "Looking for Group". Any changes made to the party or squad status through lfg will be output to the chat panel if this is checkmarked.
Other common uses for this panel are to taxi players into large group content such as world bosses, or selling access to - or completion of - game content. Using the LFG tool to sell spots on a party is allowed if no otherwise reportable offense is committed by doing so. The buyer carries the full risk and will not be reimbursed by ArenaNet in the case of nonfulfillment.
- Open World
- Central Tyria—Parties
- Central Tyria—Squads
- World Bosses
- Verdant Brink
- Auric Basin
- Tangled Depths
- Dragon's Stand
- Bloodstone Fen
- Ember Bay
- Bitterfrost Frontier
- Lake Doric
- Draconis Mons
- Achievement Hunters Central
- Adventurer's Guild
- Ranked Arena
- Unranked Arena
- Squad Play
- Party Play
- Raids (Looking for More)
- Raids (Looking for Group)
- Initiate Scales 1-25
- Adept Scales 26-50
- Expert Scales 51-75
- Master Scales 76-100
- Ascalonian Catacombs
- Caudecus's Manor
- Twilight Arbor
- Sorrow's Embrace
- Citadel of Flame
- Honor of the Waves
- Crucible of Eternity
- The Ruined City of Arah
- Fountain of Rurikton
Fractals of the Mists Category Mechanics
- Under the "Fractals of the Mists" category, there are four group scale ranges. These are "Difficulty scale 1-25", "Difficulty scale 26-50", "Difficulty scale 51-75", and "Difficulty scale 76-100".
- For new characters, all the fractal scale ranges in the group tool are locked (greyed out).
- A locked scale range does not prevent a character from joining a fractal in that range through other methods (besides the LFG tool). As long as a character is level 80, they can technically join any fractal scale. For example, a player might join any fractal scale using a direct group invitation.
- The scale range "Difficulty scales 1-25" will unlock when a character reaches level 80.
- To unlock each higher range, you must be 5 levels below the range you want to unlock. For example to unlock the "76-100" range, you must reach 71 personal fractal level.
- Note that there is nothing preventing a person from advertising a group for a fractal scale that is outside of the normal listed range. For example, it is possible to advertise a level 78 fractal inside the "Difficulty scale 51-75" range. People will sometimes advertise outside of their range in order to attract more players to their group, when they are having difficulty attracting players in the matching scale range.
- Upon entering a WvW map, a modified party menu will pop up on the left side of the screen. (Default key ) It has been altered from the standard PvE/PvP model. There are now two windows; One for Squads and one for Parties.
- Commanders and party leaders must place their groups into the WvW subsection of lfg in order for it to be listed.
- Up to 3 groups may be displayed in each window.
- Characters who do not match the level requirement for dungeons (not fractals) will have those dungeons grayed out, regardless of whether you have a character on your account that does match the level requirement.
- Once players are joined in a party, they may find themselves in different versions of the same map. By right-clicking on another member's icon, a player can choose to join the other member in their map instance (assuming that the map instance is not full).
- If a player edits a group's description too often, the player will be unable to edit the description for a set period of time.
- If a player joins and leaves groups in rapid succession, the player will be unable to join a new group for a set period of time.
- Players can report other players for abusing the tool. Users may right-click an offending group within the tool or right-click an offending player in the chat panel to access the report mechanism and select LFG System Abuse to report abuse.
- The Looking For Group Tool Beta was added as part of the Tequatl Rising release in the September 17, 2013 update.
- Only a subset of the player base initially had access to the tool and additional players gained access gradually. On September 23, 2013 the system was rolled out to everyone.