In WvW, PvP, and sometimes PvE, you may have to finish off your enemy with a special move. Press F near a downed enemy to use a finisher. You can set your active finisher in the Finishers page on the Hero Panel.
A finisher is an action in PvP play that is used to finish an opponent while they are in a downed state. This will immediately put the enemy in a defeated state regardless of their health while downed. When near a downed enemy, the message F "FINISH THEM!!" is displayed. Interacting begins an action similar to a channelled skill which takes 3.5 seconds to execute. Moving or being disabled will interrupt this action, but taking damage will not. The finishing activation can't be reduced with quickness.
Finisher appearances are gained as rewards based upon your PvP Rank animal, as tournament rewards, by chance from Black Lion Chests, or through appropriately-themed special events such as Wintersday. Which finisher is displayed can be changed for aesthetic purposes through the Finishers tab in the hero panel. The Randomize Finisher option randomly chooses from any unlocked finisher. Limited-use finishers consume a use for each successful use of the finisher on a downed enemy.
List of finishers
Note: Click on the image to see the animation.
- As of the September 2014 Feature Pack, finishers were moved into the Wardrobe of the Hero panel.
- Finishers can be searched for by name and equipped into an active slot.
- Finishers can be previewed. You can rotate the finisher while it's playing and can even preview locked finishers.
- Tradable finishers were added to Black Lion Chests in the September 29, 2015 game update.
- Many finishers were previously acquired through the Gem Store.
- Some NPC foes (at least the Sylvari members of the Toxic Alliance, see the discussion page) can be finished.
- Some NPC foes (for example the Bandit bosses) will finish downed players.
- Finish him/her! is a phrase used in the game Mortal Kombat preceding the possibility of a Fatality move which results in a brutal death of the opponent.
- Prior to the August 6, 2013 game update, all finishers were consumable items that lasted for a limited duration.
- The Randomize Finisher option was added with the February 24, 2015 game update.