Captain Mai Trin Boss Fractal
Captain Mai Trin Boss Fractal
— In-game description
The Captain Mai Trin Boss Fractal is a boss fractal in Fractals of the Mists that reprises the fight against Mai Trin from the hidden Aetherblade base. This fractal is available at Fractal levels 18, 42, 72 and 95.
Explore the Aetherblade hideout and track down Mai Trin.
- Fractal Difficulty Scale: x
- Personal Fractal Level: x
- Defeat the gate guards.
- Inquest Technician
- Inspector Ellen Kiel
Defeat Mai Trin and her forces.
- Defeat Captain Mai Trin and First Mate Horrik.
- Captain Mai Trin
The fractal starts with a short battle with Aetherblade and Inquest guards, including a Champion Inquest Technician. After the guards are defeated, the party enters a docking platform, where they confront the Aetherblade leader Captain Mai Trin, First Mate Horrik, and the full might of Aetherblade artillery. Once anyone in the party enters the area, all party members are teleported inside. Mai Trin has a quick conversation with Horrik after entering before the fight begins.
Defeating Mai Trin includes some special mechanics:
- She begins the fight with 10 stacks of Captain's Shield, which reduces damage taken and condition duration by 10% per stack, so she is virtually invulnerable until at least one stack of that effect is removed.
- The only way to remove this effect is to arrange for her to be hit by Horrik's electrostatic shots, i.e. cannon shots that appear with a blue AoE. The electrostatic shots pulse several times, and remove more stacks each pulse the lower the fractal level. Several stacks can be removed if Mai Trin is lured into a blue AoE and kept from leaving it. Mai Trin is still vulnerable to crowd control, so depleting her defiance bar while she is inside the electric field can greatly speed up the battle.
- A small purple bomb will appear above a player's head shortly before the electrostatic shot is fired at them.
- A small red/normal bomb will appear above a player's head shortly before the standard bomb shot is fired at them.
- At the same time, Horrik will also be using his other attacks, which can do decent damage to the party. Since he will use a melee AoE knockdown if players get too close to him, getting near him should be avoided so he never stops firing his cannon.
Mai Trin herself uses several attacks, including a shadow step towards the player who is farthest away from her. Consequently, it helps for the party to remain close to her so that she is more likely to end up within range of the electrostatic shot AoE; the party can dodge out of the shots at the last moment. Individual and party-wide condition removal is essential, since she can also inflict multiple conditions at a time.
She will be more likely to target players that are not moving, the players farthest from her, and specially those reviving other players. Players are advised to be ready to use protection, condition removals, invulnerability effects or dodge away when reviving other players.
Inexperienced players will tend to try to fight from range, as they attempt to avoid her attacks. If that happens, experienced players should stack up with the ranged player, because that increases the chances that Mai Trin will get caught in Horrik's AoE and Mai Trin will ultimately step to the ranged player in any case. Try and break her defiance bar as often as possible to help land blue bomb shots, and to limit the party's exposure to her condition attacks.
Artillery barrage phase
At 75%, 50% and 25% health, Mai Trin will stop attacking and order Horrik to "Unleash the cannons". Mai Trin will leave the area and begin firing cannons with her other cannoneers. Horrik will remain. The party must lower Horrik's health by 25%, as they did with Mai Trin.
Soon after Mai goes up to the cannons, she will spawn three or more Aetherblade pirates to help Horrik deal with the player. If Horrik's health is depleted and Mai comes back before these additional pirates are taken care of, they each gain the Captain's Inspiration effect, dealing extra damage. It is recommended that the group use pulls to cleave out multiple opponents at once.
Once Horrik's health is depleted to 25%, Mai Trin will no longer have the shield effect on her.
Master Tier Fractal
In Master Tiers (Tier 4), three additional enemies will spawn after the third artillery barrage when Mai Trin reaches 25% health: Elite Boarder Zonn, Elite Boatswain Stormsplit, and Elite Sharpshooter Tarron. They can be a big nuisance if left alone, so refocusing attacks and eliminating them before finishing Horrik or Mai Trin makes the fight simpler. Tarron in particular deals a large amount of ranged damage, and should typically be focused out first.
|Aetherblade Captain Stabilizer||Fractals of the Mists||5|
|You've completed the Captain Mai Trin boss fractal inside the Fractals of the Mists.Mai tried, but Trin didn't win.||1 Fractal||5|
|Horrik's Horror||Fractals of the Mists||15|
|Defeat Mai Trin's 2nd-in-command.Horrik hit hard, but you hit harder.||Defeat Horrik||5|
- Aetherblade Grenadier
- Aetherblade Thug
- Elite Boatswain Stormsplit (Adept Tier and higher)
- Veteran Aetherblade Grenadier
- Veteran Aetherblade Thug
- Elite Aetherblade Swashbuckler
- Elite Sharpshooter Tarron (Elite Tier and higher)
- Mai Trin
- Veteran Aetherblade Swashbuckler
- Veteran Aetherblade Taskmaster
- Aetherblade Striker
- Champion First Mate Horrik
- Elite Aetherblade Thumper
- Veteran Aetherblade Thumper
- Entering the fractal
- Inspector Ellen Kiel: Let's end this. Follow me!
- Talking to Inspector Kiel
- Mai Trin and her crew came through here. I've got a bad feeling about this, but at least you're here too. Let's go.
- I'll take the lead.
- Reaching the control panel
- Inspector Ellen Kiel: Oh no. Not another control panel.
- Talking to Inspector Kiel at entrance to docks
- Behind this door is Mai Trin. Are you ready to face her?
- Let's finish this.
- I need more time.
- During the cinematic
- Mai Trin: This has all gone to crud. Scarlet's gonna have my noggin for screwing up.
- First Mate Horrik: What now, Captain? It'll take cannonballs to get out of here alive.
- Mai Trin: Either way, I'm dead, so let's wind our springs and ride this escapement to the end.
- First Mate Horrik: You got it. I'll undock the airships.
- Mai Trin: You and your brothers give good battle, old friend. Now, let's dig in before they show. I'll raise the gangplanks.
- At the start of the fight
- Mai Trin: This is what your curiosity gets you.
- Lowering Horrik's health
- Champion First Mate Horrik: Captain...
- If Horrik is defeated before Mai Trin
- Mai Trin: No more half measures. All hands on deck!
- When Mai is at 75%, 50%, and 25%
- Mai Trin: Horrik! Unleash the cannons!
- Champion First Mate Horrik: Aye, aye, Captain.
- Champion First Mate Horrik: You can't hide from me!
- After third cannon phase in Master Tier
- Mai Trin: No more half measures. All hands on deck!
- When Mai is defeated
- Mai Trin: Enough! You've won. Give me quarter and I'll tell you everything.
- The Flameseeker Prophecies I: The Experimental Shield: Mai Trin — Bring an Anthology of Villains to the defeat of Mai Trin in her boss fractal.
- The Predator I: The Experimental Rifle: Mai Trin Airship Weapons Manual — Weapon manual for Mai Trin's airship obtained from Mai Trin's chest after defeating her in her boss fractal.
- Twilight I: The Experimental Nightsword: Aetherblade's Downfall — Experience the end of the Mai Trin in the Fractals of the Mists, and loot this from her chest.
- Chuka and Champawat III: Tigris: Cat's Grace — Defeat Captain Mai Trin in her fractal.
- HOPE III: Prototype: Aetherized Capacitor — A reactor component looted from the chest at the end of the Captain Mai Trin Boss Fractal.
- The Minstrel III: The Bard: Ode to Mai Trin — Perform the Minstrel's Song after defeating Mai Trin in her boss Fractal.
- Quip I: The Experimental Pistol: Birding with Mai Trin — Throw a Jar of Harpy Pheromones at Mai Trin in her boss fractal.
- Bolt III: Zap: Bottle of Aetherblade Cannon Energy — Use a Capacitive Bottle to capture energy from First Mate Horrik's lightning attack in the Mai Trin Fractal.
- Sunrise III: Dawn: Stormlight — Use the Illuminator to capture the light after killing Mai Trin in her boss fractal.
- Ad Infinitum I: Finite Result: Aetherblade Recruitment Form
- Ad Infinitum II: Upper Bound: Aetherblade Handbook
- Ad Infinitum III: Unbound: Aetherblade Secret Handshake Tutorial Book
- Legendary Backpack: Ad Infinitum: Aetherblade Diploma
- Legendary Backpack: Ad Infinitum: Aetherblade Fractal Field Research Paper
- Legendary Backpack: Ad Infinitum: Mai Trin Timed Mote