Captain Ellen Kiel
Captain Ellen Kiel
Ellen Kiel as a child.
Inspector Ellen Kiel in Lionguard armor.
Ellen Kiel in her Southsun gear.
Ellen Kiel projection after winning the election.
Ellen Kiel during Festival of the Four Winds.
We can stop this together. Fight for your homes, for your future. Fight because it's the right thing to do.
Captain Ellen Kiel is the newest member of the Captain's Council after winning the election against her opponent Evon Gnashblade. She helms the Phoenix Dawn. Cunning but honest, Ellen does everything in her power to keep Lion's Arch safe from harm.
- 1 Biography
- 2 Locations
- 3 Story involvement
- 4 Event involvement
- 5 Combat abilities
- 6 Dialogue
- 7 Quotes
- 8 Gallery
- 9 Notes
- 10 Trivia
- 11 Related achievements
- 12 See also
- 13 External links
- 14 References
Ellen Kiel was orphaned as a young girl by a shipwreck, and only escaped with her life thanks to the actions of Captain Magnus Irondawn. When she grew older, she joined Captain Irondawn's Lionguard, the defenders of Lion's Arch against the Risen menace and eventually rose to the rank of Inspector. Her role as Inspector was to back up Captain Irondawn, protecting him against threats.
After the defeat of Zhaitan in 1326 AE, the Consortium discovered the island of Southsun Cove and provoked the territorial karka to attack Lion's Arch. Ellen Kiel led the investigation into the attacks and the counterassault against the karka, and was instrumental in the defeat of the Ancient Karka.
Ellen remained on the island to aid with research and oversee the arrival of refugees from the Molten Alliance raids. When crazed wildlife started attacking the new Southsun settlements, she was able to identify the former Consortium employee Canach as the instigator, and ensured that he was brought to justice with the Pact Commander's help. As a follow-up, she managed to destroy the contracts that had the refugees indentured to the Consortium, putting an end to the civil unrest on the island.
For her work on Southsun Cove, Ellen was given time off and put in charge of security at the 1326 AE Dragon Bash. After the effigy lighting ceremony was attacked by Aetherblade pirates and Captain Theo Ashford was killed, Ellen opened an investigation on the pirates to discover their hideout. With the help of the investigator Marjory Delaqua, she was able to locate the Aetherblade Retreat where the Aetherblades' apparent leader, Captain Mai Trin, was apprehended. Mai Trin had intended to exploit the seat on the Captain's Council opened by Captain Ashford's death to give the Aetherblades some political power in Lion's Arch, but her plan failed.
During capture, Mai Trin accidentally let the name Scarlet escape from her lips, making Ellen realize that someone else was behind the Aetherblades' operations. This later proved to be the case when the enigmatic Scarlet Briar became known as the mastermind behind not only the Aetherblades but also Molten Alliance and Toxic Alliance activities throughout Tyria.
With the Captain's Council in need of a new member after Theo Ashford's murder, Magnus put Ellen's name forward as a contender in the upcoming council election. He also commandeered a captured Aetherblade airship for Ellen, thus making her eligible. Ellen was able to gain the support of the council by securing a trade agreement with the Zephyr Sanctum, winning out over Evon Gnashblade of the Black Lion Trading Company. Her replacement on the Aetherblade investigation became Deputy Turma.
As the newest member of the Captain's Council, Ellen kept her promise to the asuran members of the council to investigate the Thaumanova Reactor disaster. She took note of the Consortium's involvement with the Fractals of the Mists and sent a team to learn more about the fractals. She collaborated with the asuran researcher Dessa and sent a team including the Pact Commander into a fractal depicting events leading to the Thaumanova Reactor disaster which revealed that Scarlet Briar had meddled with the Inquest at Thaumanova in the past. Believing Dessa knew more, Ellen ordered her to travel to Lion's Arch to answer some questions, only to witness Dessa not only being unable to leave the fractal observatory but also the asura losing her memories as well. Ellen began suspecting Dessa's true nature as a fractal anomaly but chose to leave the matter be for the time being.
Scarlet Briar broke out Mai Trin from Lionguard prison, and Ellen eventually received reports from the Pact Commander's party about Scarlet's potential next target being Lion's Arch. Although Ellen tried to convince the rest of the Captain's Council to take heed of the Commander's warning, she was ignored. The council's decision cost Lion's Arch dearly when Scarlet Briar's alliances combined their forces and assaulted the city with both armies and a toxic miasma.
Despite losing many lives and the city to the invaders, Ellen remained adamant and began rallying forces to reclaim Lion's Arch from Scarlet's army. She had Evon conscripted into the Lionguard under General Emergency Statute 14 and forced him, along with all other Black Lion Trading Company merchants, to act as a deputy quartermaster for the Lionguard upon pain of death.
Ellen was joined by surviving Lionguard as well as other defenders of Tyria who assembled a strike force. Curiously enough, her main assistant among the many heroes and soldiers was a golem designated Heal-o-Tron. They returned to the city when a gust of wind blew the miasma, which Scarlet had unleashed earlier, to the sea. Determined, the strike force fought their way into the city and aboard Scarlet's flagship, the Breachmaker, where the Pact Commander ultimately delivered the killing blow on Scarlet. However, Scarlet succeeded even in death as her flagship managed to redirect the ley lines underneath Lion's Arch west towards the Heart of Maguuma, resulting in a loud roar of an Elder Dragon being heard in the aftermath.
Following their victory, the Lionguard drafted paid workforce and volunteers to help rebuild Lion's Arch. Ellen Kiel was among the representatives of Lion's Arch, alongside the Pact Commander's party, who welcomed the visiting Zephyrites to the city in 1327 AE. She spoke with the Master of Peace who assured her that the trade agreement remained intact and promised to donate supplies to the rebuilding. During this time Ellen and Magnus made Ellen's earlier golem ally, now known as Hero-Tron, a free citizen of Lion's Arch and recruited it to aid in the reconstruction effort via gathering donations and helping citizens get back to work after the golem's helpful actions during Scarlet's initial invasion and battle for Lion's Arch.
By the time Lion's Arch was rebuilt with the charity proceedings by Queen Jennah of Kryta as well as the sponsoring of Evon Gnashblade and the Consortium, Ellen became busy with administrative matters and was unable to oversee the retrofit of the airship Havoc's Heir. She voiced her discontent to Magnus about rampant black market trading and smuggling and asked for customs inspectors at the docks. She eventually named her repurposed airship the Phoenix Dawn.
By the time news of the god Balthazar's return had spread throughout Tyria in 1330 AE, Ellen requested Sheriff Turma to return to Lion's Arch to help with the sudden influx of refugees from the Crystal Desert which Balthazar's Forged army was ravaging. She met with the Pact Commander at her new office and offered to have the Commander flown to the Free City of Amnoon aboard the Phoenix Dawn.
Ellen also instructed her assistant to deliver food, medicine and clothes to the refugees. Although she did not approve of Balthazar's violent actions against the population of the Crystal Desert, she admitted not knowing why the God of War was acting so recklessly after his surprising return. Ellen nevertheless trusted that the Commander would discover more about the god's motives and reason for returning to Tyria after millennia of absence. She and Magnus acted behind the backs of the other councillors to deliver aid to Amnoon, choosing to confront them about it later than ask their permission that could otherwise delay much needed action on behalf of the needy.
After she had sorted everything out at home, Ellen eventually arrived in Amnoon as well as the head of the Lion's Arch trade delegation to provide humanitarian support to the struggling city. Following Balthazar's demise in the Battle of Kodash Bazaar, Ellen was among the crowd welcoming the Commander back to Amnoon to celebrate the victory.
While waiting for the Commander to give a speech, she conversed with the notable Amnoonian businessman Zalambur and flirted with him while proposing a continuous trade agreement that could benefit both city-states. Zalambur suggested that he and Ellen should continue the discussions in private, leading to a beginning of what could be a mutually beneficial friendship or more. However, the celebration came to a sudden halt when a Brandstorm conjured by the Elder Dragon Kralkatorrik hit Amnoon.
Although the initial Brandstorm was over quickly, another storm hit Amnoon soon after and brought with it a horde of Branded. Ellen, notable Amnoon officials and the Pact Commander's allies from Kryta evacuated a number of civilians via airship while the Commander, local defenders and the dragon Aurene fought off the invaders.
Upon returning home, Ellen found herself busy with politics again. The Captain's Council and Queen Jennah collaborated in bringing back the Festival of the Four Winds in 1331 AE to provide supplies and funds for the displaced Zephyrites who had once aided Lion's Arch in its time of need. Learning of the council's plans, Evon pulled the supplies together and accompanied Ellen to the Labyrinthine Cliffs where they welcomed visitors and also talked with one another. Evon refused to take part in the festivities himself, instead offering sound economic advice to Ellen about how to handle the trade renegotiations with the Zephyrites to make the percentage better for Lion's Arch.
During their conversations Ellen revealed that she had not forced Evon to aid the Lionguard out of spite during Scarlet's invasion of Lion's Arch but to keep the Black Lion Trading Company in business after the Captain's Council had considered breaking up the company because of Evon sabotaging the asura gate which had left many civilians stranded in the invaded city. Surprised, Evon questioned whether Ellen saving his company had been an altruistic act or for more selfish reasons, but he was eventually satisfied by her answer where the financial well-being of Lion's Arch was tied to how well Evon's company was faring. Evon let Ellen know in return that he knew about her affair with Zalambur. Although he refused to let her know how he had learned of the affair, he voiced his concerns over whether the relationship would affect their business arrangements, only to hear Ellen reassure him that everything would proceed as usual.
- Lion's Arch
- Grand Piazza (during The Lost Shores Act 1 (patrolled), Dragon Bash, Sky Pirates of Tyria, Queen's Jubilee, and during A Very Merry Wintersday (2013) (patrolled)
- Eastern Ward
- Fort Marriner (during Battle for Lion's Arch: Aftermath until May 19, 2015 update)
- Trader's Forum (during A Very Merry Wintersday (2013) (patrolled))
- Western Ward
- Southsun Cove
- Southsun Shoals (during The Lost Shores Act 2)
- Scoured Plains
- Canach's Folly (during The Lost Shores Act 3)
- Pearl Islet (after The Lost Shores until Last Stand at Southsun)
- Driftglass Springs
- Bakestone Cavern (during Last Stand at Southsun)
- Episode 6: Last Stand at Southsun
- Episode 7: Dragon Bash
- Episode 8: Sky Pirates of Tyria
- Special Event: Bazaar of the Four Winds
- Chapter 9: Cutthroat Politics
- Chapter 15: Fractured
- Chapter 18: Escape from Lion's Arch
- Chapter 19: The Battle for Lion's Arch
- The Lost Shores
- Secure the beach between landing points Lion and Pride (80) [Group Event]
- Help Inspector Kiel build roads through the terrain (80)
- Push farther inland with Inspector Kiel (80)
- Protect the Lionguard demolition squad (80) [Group Event]
- Maneuver the ancient karka back toward its nesting grounds (80) [Group Event]
- Defeat the ancient karka (80) [Group Event]
- Liberate Lion's Arch from Scarlet's Forces
- Eliminate the red Static Assault Knight (80) [Group Event]
- Defeat Scarlet's Prime Hologram before the defenses activate (80) [Group Event]
- Enter Scarlet's control room before the door closes (80)
- Escape from Scarlet's airship before the cannon fires! (80)
- revives fallen allies and grants fury, might, and swiftness to allies. Warbanner - Place a battle standard that
- For previous dialogue: Captain Ellen Kiel/dialogue
- Getting myself elected to this city council has turned out to be a "careful what you wish for" scenario.
- I'd hoped we could start fresh with the recent rebuilding, but already some of our city's less savory legacies are popping back up.
- Since being driven from their caves to the northwest, our resident black marketeers relocated near the docks to sell off "misplaced" incoming shipment.
Why not just haul them in?
- Even though we risk the appearance of sanctioning their activities, allowing the pirates to ply their trade in public lets the Lionguard keep tabs on them.
- I guess that makes sense.
- You can all be proud of how Lion's Arch rebuild turned out, at least.
- Good luck dealing with that.
- You can all be proud of how Lion's Arch rebuild turned out, at least.
- Sorry to hear that. Good luck.
You can all be proud of how Lion's Arch rebuild turned out, at least.
- Glad to hear you think so. I just wish I could get some time to enjoy it — maybe stroll by the frog pond or all those new fountains.
- Sounds like you've already got your hands full. (same as "How so?" above)
- With The Dreamer III: The Lover active
What goals do you still have for Lion's Arch?
- I'd love to see Lion's Arch free of crime and full of opportunities for everybody who comes here. (Adds Kiel's Dreams for Lion's Arch to your collection)
- I hope you have the chance to realize that dream.
- Hang in there.
- Sorry to hear that.
- Stay out of trouble.
- Have a good time, but not too good.
- I'm the law around here, and the law is stretched pretty thin.
- I'd offer the traditional pirate's greeting, but your spleen is better left unperforated.
- Sometimes I think this place would fall apart and sink into the sea without the Lionguard.
- Violence, is ?? can do that.[verification requested]
- Upon death
- Bury me at sea.
- Upon defeating a foe
- I warned you.
- Concept art
Promotional image from Cutthroat Politics.
- Ellen Kiel was first introduced as "Inspector Ellen Kiel" with The Lost Shores.
- Ellen Kiel is captain of the Phoenix Dawn, located near the Phoenix Roost lighthouse in Sanctum Harbor.
- Kiel's Outpost on Southsun Cove is named after her.
- Kiel's Dreams for Lion's Arch is a trophy needed for the The Dreamer III: The Lover legendary weapon collection.
- Ellen Kiel's character design originated as a male named Elim Kiel, and was changed due to voice actor availability.
- She is voiced by Courtenay Taylor.
- Support Ellen Kiel: I Like Kiel! — Contribute one support token for Inspector Ellen Kiel on board of Zephyr Sanctum. (5 ) (Historical)
- Support Ellen Kiel: Kiel Every Day — Complete daily achievements while supporting Inspector Ellen Kiel. (5 ) (Historical)
- Support Ellen Kiel: Kiel Supporter — Complete achievements supporting Inspector Ellen Kiel. (25) (Historical)
- Support Ellen Kiel: Kiel: Advanced Support — Complete Tiers 3 and 4 of Inspector Ellen Kiel's candidate trials. (15 ) (Historical)
- Support Ellen Kiel: Kiel: Direct Support — Complete Tiers 1 and 2 of Inspector Ellen Kiel's candidate trials. (5 ) (Historical)
- Support Ellen Kiel: Kiel: Dungeon Runner — Complete a dungeon while supporting Inspector Ellen Kiel. (10 ) (Historical)
- Support Ellen Kiel: Kiel: Homeland Support — Complete events in Krytan region while supporting Inspector Ellen Kiel. (5 ) (Historical)
- Support Ellen Kiel: Kiel: Maw Mulcher — Defeat the Jade Maw within Fractals of the Mists while supporting Inspector Ellen Kiel. (10 ) (Historical)
- Vote for Kiel, Youtube.com