Infusions are a type of upgrade component that go into infusion slots, which can be found on all ascended and legendary equipment except amulets, as well as in a few exotic back items and an exotic ring. Infusions are the primary source of agony resistance, which is important to survive the higher levels of Fractals of the Mists (although not all infusions provide agony resistance).
Types of Infusions
There are five major types of infusions: Agony Infusions, Attribute Infusions, Cosmetic Attribute Infusions, WvW Attribute Infusions, Swim-Speed Infusions. Attribute, WvW, and certain Cosmetic Infusions are Account Bound on Acquire.
Basic Agony Infusions
Basic Agony Infusions provide from +1 to +30 Agony Resistance, and can be upgraded by Artificers or by trading with INFUZ-5959. Each Agony infusion level costs two of the previous level plus one Thermocatalytic Reagent, making higher level agony infusions exponentially expensive. There are few reasons to make or use agony infusions above +9.
Attribute Infusions 
Basic Attribute Infusion
These provide +4 to their respective attribute and are purchased from Laurel Merchants for 5 .
- These are generally not recommended, due to the scarcity of Laurels, all other Attribute infusions are +5 with additional benefits, and the chosen attribute cannot be modified.
Standard Attribute Infusion
Standard Attribute Infusions provide +5 to their respective attribute, and +5, +7 or +9 Agony Resistance.
- Mighty +5 Agony Infusion
- Precise +5 Agony Infusion
- Malign +5 Agony Infusion
- Resilient +5 Agony Infusion
- Vital +5 Agony Infusion
- Healing +5 Agony Infusion
- Mystical +5 Agony Infusion
- Spiteful +5 Agony Infusion
- Mighty +7 Agony Infusion
- Precise +7 Agony Infusion
- Malign +7 Agony Infusion
- Resilient +7 Agony Infusion
- Vital +7 Agony Infusion
- Healing +7 Agony Infusion
- Mystical +7 Agony Infusion
- Spiteful +7 Agony Infusion
- Mighty +9 Agony Infusion
- Precise +9 Agony Infusion
- Malign +9 Agony Infusion
- Resilient +9 Agony Infusion
- Vital +9 Agony Infusion
- Healing +9 Agony Infusion
- Mystical +9 Agony Infusion
- Spiteful +9 Agony Infusion
- +5 attribute infusions can be obtained from INFUZ-5959 for three +5 Agony Infusions + 5 Integrated Fractal Matrices.
- +7 attribute infusions can be obtained from INFUZ-5959 for three +7 Agony Infusions + 10 Integrated Fractal Matrices.
- +9 attribute infusions can be obtained from INFUZ-5959 for three +9 Agony Infusions + 20 Integrated Fractal Matrices.
- +5 and +7 attribute infusions can be upgraded to their next value through INFUZ-5959 by using 2 of the current attribute infusion with 6 agony infusions of the same value.
- +5 attribute infusions can be obtained from Basic Magnetite Exchange Operative for 75 Magnetite Shard + 15 gold.
- These Infusions provide their Attribute bonus in PvE modes as well as WvW.
- They do not provide any Agony Resistance, and cannot be modified to another attribute once purchased.
- Offensive versions provide +5 Power, Precision, Condition Damage or Expertise, and +1% Damage to Guards, Lords, and Supervisors.
- Defensive versions provide +5 Toughness, Vitality, Healing Power or Concentration, and -1% Damage taken from Guards, Lords, and Supervisors.
Cosmetic Attribute Infusions
- Primary article: Cosmetic infusion
Cosmetic infusions are similar to standard attribute infusions in bonus stats but feature a unique cosmetic aura when equipped. Most of them provide +5 bonus to an attribute and +9 Agony Resistance, and the attribute can be changed via Mystic Forge. WvW-exclusive cosmetic infusions instead provide +5 to an attribute and a bonus to offense or defense against WvW NPC enemies.
Most cosmetic infusions are a tied to extremely rare chance rewards from their relevant content. Sometimes they are not rewarded directly, and are crafted instead with the main crafting component being the rare drop. Because of their rarity, costs for cosmetic infusions vary wildly: some are relatively common and cost only slightly more than standard attribute infusions, while the rarest trade for thousands of gold.
Some of these infusions can be obtained directly, avoiding the random drop mechanic and, partially, extremely high costs. This is usually done by crafting infusions from more widely available materials, completing achievements, or by purchasing them for content-specific currencies. This more direct way of acquisition usually comes with some restrictions, like a purchase limit or an account bound-only version. Many of the cosmetic infusions can be also found as rare rewards in various general timed events, e.g. certain bonus events or festivals like Festival of the Four Winds and Dragon Bash.
Swim-Speed Infusions from +10 to +30 increase movement speed in the underwater mode. These infusions can only be put into ascended Aquatic Headgear and don't provide agony resistance or any additional attributes. Swim-Speed Infusions can be obtained from Sunken Chests (possible reward) and the repeatable achievement Master Diver, or purchased on the Trading Post from other players. Multiple +10 infusions can be exchanged for higher tier infusions that grant bigger movement speed boost at the vendor Dive Master Astora in Lion's Arch.
- Infusions are lost when upgrading ascended items in the Mystic Forge, since the original item is consumed in the crafting process. Make sure to use an Infusion Extraction Device before you upgrade the item if you wish to keep the infusion.
- When crafting the standard attribute infusions, it is cheaper to start by crafting the +5 attribute infusions and then use them to create a +7 one, and use two +7 to craft a +9, though the cost difference is really small.
|Cost to create one +5 attribute infusion||48||5||15|
|Cost to upgrade two +5 into one +7||192||10||180|
|Cost to create one +7 attribute infusion||192||10||189|
|Cost to upgrade four +5 into two +7 into one +9||768||20||738|
|Cost to upgrade two +7 into one +9||768||20||756|
|Cost to create one +9 attribute infusion||768||20||765|
- Infused equipment — Additional infusion slots for rings and backpacks
- Attuned equipment — A second additional infusion slot for rings
- Cosmetic aura — Infusions that change the cosmetic appearance
- Cosmetic aura/Aura stacking — infusion stacking and death animation
- Enrichment — a special upgrade slot only found on amulets (cannot be used for infusions)
- In Guild Wars, infusion was the process of imbuing armor pieces with magic to protect against the mursaat's Spectral Agony.
- Prior to the July 26, 2016 update, there were 5 infusion types: offensive, defensive, utility, versatile (omni), and agony. Versatile infusions could be placed in non-agony infusion slots. The update simplified the types to Infusions (offensive, defensive, versatile, and agony) and Enrichments (utility).