The Mists is the oldest thing in existence, the proto-reality that exists between the worlds, constituting the fabric of time and space that connects the multiverse together. Within the Mists are worlds (of which Tyria is just one), each with their own realities and histories, floating as islands in the ether. The Mists resonate from the worlds around them, forming bits of their own reality—islands of existence that reflect the histories of their worlds. Some worlds are enormous, such as the Underworld, the home of the dead; others are simply residences for powerful spirits or deities. At the center of the Mists is the Rift, and within the Rift is the Hall of Heroes, the final resting place of powerful and virtuous souls.
The Mists are accessible only through portals, most of which are temporarily made by channeling the power of a force within the Mists, such as the havrouns calling upon the Spirits of the Wild. There are a few permanent portals as well—these portals were created by the mage Lord Odran, including The Portal in the Tomb of the Primeval Kings. Other known portals in the past included the Door of Komalie, the Mouth of Torment, and a portal on the Battle Isles; these four portals became inaccessible over the past 250 years due to the rise of the Elder Dragons.
Between 1320 AE and 1325 AE, five asura gates were built within Fort Marriner of Lion's Arch, replacing the Zaishen arena, and becoming the only known fixed means of entering the Mists in Central Tyria. During Scarlet Briar's occupation of Lion's Arch, the Mist Portals temporarily resided in Vigil Keep, but were moved back to Lion's Arch when reconstruction efforts began. By 1330 AE the portals in both the Tomb of the Primeval Kings and the Mouth of Torment became active again, and a new portal to an unknown location in the Mists was opened in the Foundry from which the Forged army brought in reinforcements to the Domain of Vabbi. After Balthazar's defeat in Vabbi, Desmina had opened a new portal to the Underworld at Reaper's Gate, where the veil between Tyria and the Mists was already weak.
- Explorable zones
- Heart of the Mists
- Mistlock Sanctuary
- Realm of Torment
- The Underworld
- World versus World
- Edge of the Mists
- Eternal Battlegrounds
- Blue Borderlands
- Green Borderlands
- Red Borderlands
- Obsidian Sanctum
- Team Deathmatch
- Asura Arena (This area appears to be inaccessible to players, and its function is currently unknown.)
Known portals to the Mists
- Desert Highlands
- Domain of Vabbi
- The Desolation
- Raid on the Capricorn, a Conquest map that had been in the game since launch, was removed as a consequence of the removal of underwater combat in Structured PvP in the April 2014 Feature Pack. It was remade and re-released as Revenge of the Capricorn on July 26th, 2016.
- The writing on Lord Odran's map of the mists is in Ascalonian and translates to "beware the danger of secrets kept".
- ^ Lore interview with Jeff Grubb, GuildMag.com
- ^ Historical dialogue with Vonbrig Kemp
- ^ Comment by Bobby Stein, Reddit.com