- This article is about asura personal story step. For the chronomancer shatter skill, see Split Second (skill).
Conduct the final test of your upgraded Infinity Ball.
- Meet with Shodd in the Wendon Heights.
- Activate the Infinity Ball.
- Defeat the Mysterious Strangers.
Click here to edit the reward data
- All professions
- Galvanic Coat, Duty-Bound Duffers
- Protean Coat, Ragamuffin Toeshoes
- Adept Coat, Homespun Espadrilles
There isn't much to this battle. As soon as the cutscene ends, the portal will appear and steam creatures will emerge. Keep fighting them until they and General Shodd are defeated. The mysterious stranger, who is basically your doppelganger, will attack. Defeat the double, and the problems with the infinity ball are over.
Upon completion you will be given a Prospectus.
- Shodd: This is it. We're going to catapult ourselves to the heights of intellectual achievement.
- Shodd: I know this hasn't been easy for you, what with all your ethics and whatnot, but...
- Shodd: I just wanted to say how impressed I am. How much this means to me.
- Shodd: Progress demands risk and sacrifice, but it's worth it. Now, let's see what the world could be!
Talking to Shodd:
- Shodd: We can't falter now. Fame, success, and eternal glory are within our grasp.
- I agree. We've come too far to quit now.
Upon activating the Infinity Ball:
- Zojja: Stop right there! Do not activate the Infinity Ball.
- Shodd: Too late, Zojja. The process is already started. You can't stop progress!
- Zojja: Listen! My Dangerscope 5000 went critical when I tuned in you idiots. You're going to kill us all.
- Shodd: No, I'll live forever- as a genius! Now shut up, and enjoy a glimpse of another reality!
- Mysterious Stranger: Hello, Zojja. Recognize me? I'm the one you tried to bully into subservience and mediocrity.
- Mysterious Stranger: But I left you behind, and achieved greatness: I am the Grand High Sovereign of my reality.
- Zojja: Whatever you call yourself, you don't belong here. And you can't stay.
- Mysterious Stranger: I can do anything I want. And here, as in my world, the only obstacle to my transcendence is you.
- Mysterious Stranger: To become all that I am capable of becoming, you must die. It's my destiny...and my pleasure.
- Mysterious Stranger: Wait until you get to know my creations. In my reality, they conquered Tyria.
- Mysterious Stranger: You don't stand a chance. In your world, this technology hasn't even been invented yet!
- Mysterious Stranger: It's time we took the field, Grand Vice Admiral Shodd. Just like the battle for Divinity's Reach!
- Shodd: Sovereign, eh? That does sound good. Hang on. What's my role in this brand-new reality?
- Grand Vice Admiral Shodd: You become Grand Vice Admiral of the Conclave. If you live through this fight, that is.
During the fight:
- Mysterious Stranger: Just so you know, killing myself is not something I enjoy. But it is necessary.
- Mysterious Stranger: I should have known...the only thing that can defeat me...is me!
- Shodd: That was amazing! I'm glad I went along with you.
Cinematic after the fight:
- <Character name>: That was...unsettling. I can't deny the notion of ruling the world is appealing, but not if I have to out-Inquest the Inquest to achieve it.
- Shodd: Just because your double went bad doesn't mean you will. You'll have me to guide you- and then I get to be Grand Vice-Admiral!
- <Character name>: Shut up, Shodd. Forever. The Infinity Ball is a dead end. I'm going to gut it and keep the shell as a reminder of what a genius shouldn't do.
- <Character name>: I'm sorry, Zojja. Those things my double said about holding me back? Not true. The way I see it now, you provide focus for my genius, not limitations.
- Zojja: That's good to hear. I'm willing to put this little imbroglio behind us, "Grand High Sovereign." But I'll be keeping a closer eye on you from now on.
- Zojja: If you turn into a dimension-travelling dictator from the future, I'll have to put you down like a rabid skelk.
- Zojja: Don't worry. If we stick together, we can both achieve our full potential. In a good way, not in a "crush the world under our hobnailed boots" way.
- <Character name>: Count me in. Since the ball is drained of power now, it's no longer a threat. And since I'm not listening to Shodd anymore, neither am I. See you around!
Talking to allies:
- Zojja: I must admit, your work on the Infinity Ball produced remarkable results. It wasn't worth exposing Tyria to the ravages of an interdimensional conqueror, but it was impressive.
- Thanks. I promise I'll keep the conquest to a minimum from now on.
- I'm just glad no serious damage was done.
- You know it. Don't get me wrong, I've learned my lesson...but I'm still pretty amazing.
- I say the end justifies the means.
- Mr. Sparkles: The—data—on—those—mechanized—creatures—is—no—longer—in—my—data—banks. I—theorize—that—it—cannot—exist—if—they—do—not.
- Good. I don't want anything from that world sticking around to infect ours.
If you talk to Shodd:
- Shodd: I know you weren't happy with the results- or the sharp increase of ambient peril- but we accomplished great things here today. What do you say we continue our partnership?
I don't think so. Our shared research tends to create more problems than it solves.
- But now that we know that, we can manage it better. Let me put it this way: I'm going to keep researching. Wouldn't it be better to have me close by so you can keep an eye on my progress?
That's a fair point. I do have some space in my lab; you could set up there.
- Perfection! I'll have my equipment moved right away. You won't regret this. World domination was just a warm-up. Wait until you see the main event!
- Just don't make any moves without consulting me first...Grand Vice Admiral.