The Mastery system is an account-wide progression system available once players reach level 80, the maximum level available. Masteries are abilities unlocked through the mastery system and are each associated with a mastery track. Mastery tracks are organized by expansion. Each mastery point only needs to be obtained once per account and has an associated achievement marked with the relevant mastery point symbol in the achievement UI. Mastery training progress is also account-wide, allowing progression to be made on any level 80 character that gains experience.
Players unlock masteries by fully training a selected mastery track and spending the requisite number of mastery points in the mastery tab of the Hero window. Once a character reaches level 80, its experience bar is replaced with the mastery training bar, and players train a selected mastery track by gaining experience.
Mastery tracks are split by expansion; each expansion has a separate set of mastery points earned by playing its content, which can only be spent on the respective masteries. The Central Tyria tracks are available for owners of any expansion. Before masteries from a given track can be trained, the entire track must be unlocked by completing a certain task.
|Category / Track||Total||Unlock requirement|
|Pact Commander||19||Unlocking a mastery track from another category|
|Legendary Crafting||19||Unlocking a mastery track from another category|
|Fractal Attunement||11||Unlocking a mastery track from another category|
|Heart of Thorns||144|
|Gliding||31||Completing Torn from the Sky|
|Itzel Lore||31||Completing Torn from the Sky|
|Exalted Lore||19||Entering Auric Basin|
|Nuhoch Lore||31||Entering Tangled Depths|
|Raids||8||Killing a boss in the Forsaken Thicket or Bastion of the Penitent raids|
|Ancient Magics||24||Entering Bloodstone Fen or Ember Bay|
|Path of Fire||64|
|Raptor Mount||10||Saving Seeker's Village during Sparking the Flame|
|Springer Mount||14||Purchasing the springer from the Highjump Ranch task vendor in the Desert Highlands|
|Skimmer Mount||14||Purchasing the skimmer from the Skimmer Ranch task vendor in the Elon Riverlands|
|Jackal Mount||14||Purchasing the jackal from the Sand Jackal Run task vendor in the Desolation|
|Griffon Mount||12||Reaching the Sunspear Sanctuary in the Domain of Vabbi and completing the Open Skies collections|
- Primary article: Mastery point unlocks
Mastery points can be spent on selected Mastery tracks; they are earned from completing achievements within the game, but may only be spent after reaching level 80.
These achievements include but are not limited to:
- Interacting with Mastery Insight locations
- Completing achievements for a story chapter or step (a maximum of one point per chapter on an account basis, up to a total of 11)
- Finishing various scavenger hunt/location hunting achievements
- Defeating certain world bosses
- Earning silver or gold in an adventure
- Achieving world completion
When you own an expansion, and one of your characters reaches level 80 and fulfills the condition for unlocking a mastery track (shown above), the Masteries tab will unlock in the Hero panel for your account. You can also open this panel by clicking on the experience bar. In this tab, you can select one unlocked mastery track per category as active by clicking on the check mark icon on the left of the chosen mastery's row. There are currently three mastery categories: Central Tyria, Heart of Thorns, and Path of Fire.
All experience gained on any level 80 character on your account while in a given region will be applied to the respective active mastery. You can freely switch the active masteries without any cost, as the amount of experience previously gained will be saved until you return to train that mastery. Once the current active mastery is fully trained by obtaining enough experience, the experience bar will start blinking and you can spend a certain amount of mastery points in the Masteries tab to permanently unlock the mastery on your account. Before you spend the points or switch to train another mastery, any experience gained will be redirected to train the first unlocked, untrained, least progressed mastery track in the list for the same category instead, if one is available.
- The hero panel to change your current mastery cannot be opened by clicking on the experience bar while in combat; the current mastery can, however, be changed at any time in the hero panel if it's opened previously or by any other means.
- Almost all obtained Masteries are active regardless of level. That means even a Level 2 character can glide if Glider Basics has already been unlocked on a Level 80 character on the same account.
- Spectral Aid only becomes active at level 80.
- Experience acquired in maps will only contribute to the masteries that those maps belong to:
- Central Tyria regions (core game), Southsun Cove, and Living World Season 2 zones will contribute to Central Tyria Mastery experience.
- Heart of Thorns and Living World Season 3 zones will contribute to Heart of Thorns Mastery experience.
- Path of Fire zones will contribute to Path of Fire Mastery experience
- Once all tracks in a region are unlocked and completed by unlocking with mastery points, experience goes towards a 254,000 repeatable track to gain 1 . If the XP bars are full on all tracks but you have not purchased all the masteries, your XP bar will not gain XP until you complete them all.