The Giganticus Lupicus was once the Temple Guard of The Grand Temple of the Pantheon in the City of Arah, but is now just another servant of Zhaitan without a cause after the defeat of its Elder Dragon master.
In life, it was one of the Great Giants, a race whose extinction is thought to predate the arrival of the Gods on Tyria by thousands of years. As such, it is unknown how it came to be a Temple Guard in service of the Gods, or how it was affected by the Exodus of the Gods, the Cataclysm, or the Rising of Orr (saving that the latter ended in this creature's reanimation). It is also possible that the creature did not come from Orr originally, but was commanded there by Zhaitan post-reanimation to protect the Dragon's greatest secrets, but this still leaves the mystery of where it was from, and how Zhaitan obtained its corpse.
- Summons Insects
- Shadow Walk
- Drains Life
- Empowered - upon devouring a grub
The giant uses different attacks in three different phases; when switching from phase to another, it briefly becomes determined.
The giant will attack the party indirectly, summoning locusts and grubs which attack the players or potentially enhance the giant's power even further. Dodging the grubs it summons is the primary goal here; allowing the giant to gain one "free" grub (see phase two notes below) is generally thought to make it extremely hard to defeat; resetting (fleeing) the fight and trying again is advisable. Every stack that Giganticus Lupicus gains by eating a grub mitigates damage received by 2% and increases damage dealt by approximately 4%, for a total of 50% incoming damage reduction and 200% extra damage dealt at 25 stacks.
- Summon Grub - summons a grub that will knock down targeted player approximately 5 seconds after it is cast. After a short while, the grub will travel back to its master at which point it will be eaten and the giant will gain one stack of Empowered, greatly increasing its damage and armor. It is highly recommended that all players will attempt to destroy the grubs before they can reach the giant if they failed to dodge it in the first place.
- The targeted player can easily be identified by green miasma gathering around and on them before the grub will spawn.
- This attack can be identified by casting animation of the boss, which resembles a windmill-like motion. The attack can be evaded if correctly dodged (or otherwise evaded) when this casting animation is just about to complete.
- A grub is guaranteed to spawn at the end of phase one. The attack that summons it cannot be blocked, dodged, or avoided with invulnerability. However, it can be prevented if the target of the summon is removed from the fight, i.e. if a mesmer shatters their clones or a ranger swaps their pet.
- Summons Insects - summons several Locust Swarms [verification requested] which attack players, dealing moderate damage and causing Bleeding. Locust attacks can be avoided altogether simply by kiting them, but it is recommended that players attempt to kill them before too many accumulate, as they do not despawn even at the end of the first phase.
- Mighty Kick - short range heavy damage kick that knocks back. Because Lupicus remains mostly stationary and does not chase, he will do this attack only when players move into melee range (<250 range).
This phase occurs at 75% HP. The giant will stop summoning grubs and insects and will start attacking players more directly. While transitioning into phase two, he will infect the closest ally with a grub which is unavoidable. This phase is shorter than the final phase, but its attacks can decimate an unprepared party. As long as the party can avoid being defeated, they can stay on defensive while continuing to reduce its health until the final phase.
- Lupine Blast - Will shadow walk to a targeted player, charging towards them and dealing heavy damage and knocking down in a moderately large area when it reaches the targeted player. May or may not evade while casting this ability.
- Necrid Bolt - casts a single, powerful, bouncing projectile at a single target; only hits targets at range. Causes brief Poisoned. Currently hits players at melee range (possibly a bug).
- Necrid Barrage - casts many bouncing projectiles, covering much of the arena with area of effect circles; projectiles bounce and may hit you if you have circles behind you. Can be reflected with Feedback for massive damage. Other reflect or projectile-blocking skills such as Shield of Absorption also work. Otherwise, the projectiles fly out in a somewhat random pattern, but tend to impact moving outwards. As such, it is recommended that players dodge towards Lupicus during this move.
- Melee claw attack - heavy damage melee attack with right claw. Hits twice, once for heavy damage and a Knockback, and once for three stacks of Bleeding.
During the final phase, the giant will switch from heavy-hitting "spread" attacks to more specialized life stealing attacks. It is highly recommended that all party members stay at as far a range as possible, while fleeing the giant if they get its aggro. Alternately, standing in extremely close melee range (inside the circle at his feet) can be used to reduce his attack pattern if all players are in range.
- Life Drain - He will choose one ally and will point at them and drain their health. Ticks 4 times, can be avoided with a double dodge.
- Necrid Bolt - casts a single, powerful, bouncing projectile at a single target. Causes brief Poisoned. Currently hits players at melee range (possibly a bug).
- Necrid Trap - a ward type spell which will trap foes within, draining large amount of their health with each pulse for 5 seconds. You can blink out of the dome or use Stability to dodge through its wall. Will not cast if player(s) are too close.
- Frenzied Blast - in a small AoE in front of him, he will launch many projectiles. Can be reflected for decent damage. Will not cast if player(s) are too close to him.
- Life Drink - in an ~800 range PBAoE, he will drain health every second and Knockback (~300 range) at the end of the cast.
- Lupine Death - Upon defeat, Lupicus will fall, causing a moderate amount of damage to any players nearby.
|Bag of Wondrous Goods||Container||Masterwork||1|
|Risen Spineguard||Back item||Masterwork||1|