— Countess Anise
Countess Anise is Master Exemplar of the Shining Blade, the queen's royal guard, and an adviser to the royal court. She is a striking beauty with a commanding presence, and yet few know more about her. Anise is considered one of the most powerful mesmers in Kryta, alongside Queen Jennah.
Her exact age is unknown, and rumors claim that she uses magic to maintain her beauty and age; when confronted about it, she becomes uncommonly strict, losing her typical playful demeanor. She also often treats others as children compared to her.
- 1 Biography
- 2 Location
- 3 Story involvement
- 4 Combat abilities
- 5 Dialogue
- 6 Quotes
- 7 Notes
- 8 Trivia
- 9 See also
- 10 References
When Queen Jennah's father died and she was invested to the Krytan throne, she appointed Countess Anise to the rank of Master Exemplar. Anise is a cunning political mind in her own right and has served in the Shining Blade for many years. Anise defended Jennah as her personal guard while Jennah was a young princess, and the two are very close companions. Although Anise is not thought of as a powerful combatant, her cunning and ability to predict the actions of others has long served to keep the queen safe.
During the reopening of the Asura gate in Ebonhawke, the Countess has an appearance in her function as attendant to the queen, responsible for her safety. Before the attack on Ebonhawke Keep, both Jennah and Anise peer into the mind of the Elder Dragon, Kralkatorrik.
Anise was heavily involved in exposing various political machinations of Minister Caudecus. Her Mesmer abilities allowed infiltration of bandit hideout in Beggar's Burrow where Two-Blade Pete's plan of poisoning the wells of Divinity's Reach was discovered. She also disguised the party involved in defeat and capture of Commander Serentine after Big Nose Ted's bandit attack on Divinity's Reach Orphanage and Hospital. She was one of the guests in Minister's Manor where she gathered evidence of Minister Zamon's treason, following his trial by combat and conviction.
During the test of the Watchknights strength, at the opening ceremony of the Crown Pavilion, Anise discovered that their commands have been overridden. So, Aetherblade pirates started to raise down on the ceremony, causing general chaos. During the fight, the Countess was able to notice a mysterious figure perched on one of the columns of the Crown Pavilion.
Later on, during the closing ceremony, Anise, in order to bait the mysterious figure, created a mesmeric illusion of Queen Jennah, that began a speech on humanity's resolve, unity and strength. The plan was successful and the stranger appeared with her hood down and her face revealed. She was a female sylvari named Scarlet Briar.
After someone accuses Queen Jennah of conspiring with Scarlet before the Queen's Jubilee, Anise helps the Commander and Kasmeer to find out the truth by throwing a party for ministers and nobles. While investigating at the party the Commander finds out that Minister Estelle was spreading the lies and confronts her. During this confrontation Estelle accuses Anise to be part of the conspiracy which she denies. At the end of the party, Countess Anise and the Shining Blade arrest Minister Estelle and assures Kasmeer and the Commander of the Queen's support for the upcoming summit. Anise attends the summit disguised as a Sylvari, where she commissions Canach to spy on the Pact's plans after Mordremoth has attacked the summit.
After the death of Mordremoth, Anise set Canach to a new task, tracking down Legate Minister Caudecus Beetlestone. Caudecus had disappeared from protective custody in the Royal Palace, where he had been ensconced due to the bandits that had invaded his manor. Canach and several Shining Blade soldiers tracked Caudecus to Bloodstone Fen and, with the Commander, witnessed the Minister announce his position as Confessor of the White Mantle. This revealed Caudecus to be the villain Anise and the Shining Blade had long believed, but could never prove in court. From Bloodstone Fen, the hunt for the traitor led to Caudecus's Manor. Despite a directive from the Queen to remain in Divinity's Reach, Anise portalled in and joined the Pact Commander and Demmi Beetlestone in infiltrating the manor. After helping to rescue Canach and battling Caudecus to the death, Anise released Canach from his sentence. With a new "opening on her payroll", she took Lady Valette Wi under her wing for rehabilitation. While Valette had been tricked into the White Mantle, she had still committed crimes against the state.
Wanting to learn more about the returned god Balthazar, Anise talked with one of his priest who was zealously eager to fight for the glory of the god. After the Commander had arrived, Anise called them aside and offered a lead on his whereabouts. According to her sources, Balthazar had one of Lazarus's aspects and the Eye of Janthir was tracking the aspects. To help the Commander track down Balthazar, Anise asked the Commander to find one of her exemplars, Kerida, who was hunting for the aspects. It was revealed that Anise formed a bond with Kerida, who was otherwise known as Livia, in what was referred to as a mother-daughter relationship, and Kerida became one of the few people Anise truly respected.
Kerida had been last heard from in northeast Brisban Wildlands, but had been out of touch for some time. After the Commander freed Kerida and assisted her with recovering an aspect from the White Mantle hideout, Anise sponsored the Commander in joining the Shining Blade. Although it was quite unusual, Anise silenced objections by personally vouching for the Commander, stating, much to the Commander's surprise, that she had been watching for many years, making them worthy of the oath. Once the Commander had pledged the Oath of Confidence and questions could be answered about the aspects, Anise released Kerida and the Commander to finish the business with Lazarus, although not without warning that they could expect an "I told you so," if things went sideways.
- Chapter 1: Krytan Politics
- Chapter 2: Shadows of the Past
- Chapter 3: Traitor to the Queen
- Episode 10: Queen's Jubilee
- Episode 11: Clockwork Chaos
- Episode 4: The Head of the Snake
- Episode 6: One Path Ends
- Chaos aura grants you random boons and inflicts your foe with random conditions whenever you are struck. Chaos Armor - Apply a random condition to nearby foes and gain chaos aura.
- Phantasm. Perform a sword strike and create an illusion that attacks your foe. If the sword strike hits, you gain might. (Scripted) Phantasmal Swordsman -
- Conjure Lethargy - Summons a Conjured Lethargy minion. (The Queen's Justice only)
- (If human)
- Very soon, I have to go oversee Shining Blade training exercises but it's good to see you. The job of queen's guard is never done, you know.
- I understand.
- (If not human)
- Oh, you look like trouble, but I know I don't need to warn you that you're in the presence of the Shining Blade, do I?
What's the Shining Blade?
- Hm, I suppose the easiest answer is that we're a military body that protects Queen Jennah. We also advise her, though. I'm their leader. Countess Anise, at your service.
- Pleased to meet you.
- Not at all.
- If HOPE IV: The Catalyst is unlocked and the player has not yet received the Soul Battery Fragment
- Yes, may I help you?
I am looking for a device to capture soul energy.
- It just so happens I have acquired something, used long ago, for storing soul magic. Well, a piece of something, but it should do the trick.
- Thank you, Countess. (Gives Soul Battery Fragment.)
- I have changed my mind.
- No, thank you.
- Fancy meeting you here.
- How do you do.
- Fair weather we're having.
- What a pleasure to see you.
- She wears a unique attire, a slightly different version of Exemplar Attire Outfit.
- Countess Anise is simply named "Anise" while seen in the Queen's Throne Room.
- Anise is voiced by Catherine Taber.
- Anise is a flowering plant with aromatic leaves and stems that taste like licorice, fennel, or tarragon.
- Associated items