— Countess Anise
Countess Anise is Master Exemplar of the Shining Blade, the queen's royal guard, as well as an adviser to the royal court and a member of the Mesmer Collective. She is a striking beauty with a commanding presence, and yet few know more about her. Anise is considered one of the most powerful mesmers in Kryta, alongside Queen Jennah.
Her exact age is unknown, and rumors claim that she uses magic to maintain her beauty and age; when confronted about it, she becomes uncommonly strict, losing her typical playful demeanor. She also often treats others as children compared to her.
- 1 Biography
- 2 Location
- 3 Story involvement
- 4 Combat abilities
- 5 Dialogue
- 6 Quotes
- 7 Trivia
- 8 See also
- 9 References
When Queen Jennah's father died and she was invested to the Krytan throne, she appointed Countess Anise to the rank of Master Exemplar. Anise is a cunning political mind in her own right and has served in the Shining Blade for many years. Anise defended Jennah as her personal guard while Jennah was a young princess, and the two are very close companions. Although Anise is not thought of as a powerful combatant, her cunning and ability to predict the actions of others has long served to keep the queen safe.
Anise was heavily involved in exposing various political machinations of Minister Caudecus. Her Mesmer abilities allowed infiltration of bandit hideout in Beggar's Burrow where Two-Blade Pete's plan of poisoning Divinity's Reach the wells was discovered. She also disguised the party involved in defeat and capture of Commander Serentine after Big Nose Ted's bandit attack on Divinity's Reach Orphanage and Hospital. She was one of the guests in Minister's Manor where she gathered evidence of Minister Zamon's treason, following his trial by combat and conviction.
After someone accuses Queen Jennah of conspiring with Scarlet before the Queen's Jubilee, Anise helps the Commander and Kasmeer to find out the truth by throwing a party for ministers and nobles. While investigating at the party the Commander finds out that Minister Estelle was spreading the lies and confronts her. During this confrontation Estelle accuses Anise to be part of the conspiracy which she denies. At the end of the party, Countess Anise and the Shining Blade arrest Minister Estelle and assures Kasmeer and the Commander of the Queen's support for the upcoming summit. Anise attends the summit disguised as a Sylvari, where she commission Canach to spy on the Pact's plans after Mordremoth has attacked the summit.
After the death of Mordremoth, Anise had sent Canach on a new task: Minister Caudecus had disappeared from the Royal Palace which he had been confined to since bandits invaded his manor. Canach had, alongside other Shining Blade members, tracked Caudecus to Bloodstone Fen where the Legate Minister had announced his position as Confessor of the White Mantle, as Anise had expected he would thus allowing her and Canach to drop formalities and treat him as the villain the Shining Blade long suspected he was but never could prove in court. Following this, Anise had given Canach the orders to hunt down Caudecus Beetlestone, which led him and his team to Caudecus's Manor. After falling out of contact with the team, Anise decided to join the Pact Commander and Demmi Beetlestone in infiltrating the manor, where they rescued Canach and battled Caudecus to the death. With Caudecus' death, Anise had officially liberated Canach from his contract, and decided to take in Lady Valette Wi in his stead as, while Valette had been tricked into the White Mantle, she had still committed crimes against the state.
Wanting to learn more about the returned god Balthazar, Anise talked with the priest who was zealously eager to fight for the glory of his god. After the Commander had arrived, Anise called them aside, because she had learned that Balthazar had one of Lazarus's aspects. Anise then sent the Commander to meet up with one of her exemplar, Kerida, who had also been hunting the aspects. She formed a bond with Kerida, who was otherwise known as Livia, in what was referred to as a mother-daughter relationship, and Kerida became one of the few people Anise truly respected.
Later back in Divinity's Reach in the secret Shining Blade Headquarters under one of the mausoleums, Anise agreed to have the Commander take the Shining Blade oath so that Exemplar Kerida could reveal her intentions with the aspects. One of the exemplars protested the Commander taking the oath, but was silenced after Anise argued that she had been watching the Commander for a very long time, making them worthy the oath.
- Chapter 1: Krytan Politics
- Chapter 2: Shadows of the Past
- Chapter 3: Traitor to the Queen
- Episode 10: Queen's Jubilee
- Episode 11: Clockwork Chaos
- Episode 4: The Head of the Snake
- Episode 6: One Path Ends
- boons and your foe random conditions whenever you are struck. Chaos Armor - Apply a random condition to nearby foes and gain chaos armor. Chaos armor gives you random
- illusion that attacks your foe. If the sword strike hits, you gain might. (Scripted) Phantasmal Swordsman - Perform a sword strike and create an
- To human characters
- Very soon, I have to go oversee Shining Blade training exercises but it's good to see you. The job of queen's guard is never done, you know.
- I understand.
- To non-human characters
- Oh, you look like trouble, but I know I don't need to warn you that you're in the presence of the Shining Blade, do I?
What's the Shining Blade?
- Hm, I suppose the easiest answer is that we're a military body that protects Queen Jennah. We also advise her, though. I'm their leader. Countess Anise, at your service.
- Pleased to meet you.
- Not at all.
- If HOPE IV: The Catalyst is unlocked and you have not yet received the Soul Battery Fragment
- Yes, may I help you?
I am looking for a device to capture soul energy.
- It just so happens I have acquired something, used long ago, for storing soul magic. Well, a piece of something, but it should do the trick.
- Thank you, Countess. (Gives Soul Battery Fragment.)
- I have changed my mind.
- No, thank you.
- Fancy meeting you here.
- How do you do.
- Fair weather we're having.
- What a pleasure to see you.
- Anise is voiced by Catherine Taber.
- She wears a unique attire, a slightly different version of Exemplar Attire Outfit.
- Associated items