Click to enlarge
Denizens of the Shiverpeaks Mountains are threatened by harsh terrain, vicious animals, and freezing temperatures. Many would appreciate help from a skilled adventurer.
— In-game description
Aid Ferghen the Tracker.
- Talk to Ferghen at Hero's Moot.
- Defend the caravan.
Click here to edit the reward data
- All professions
- One of the following: Chainmail Gauntlets, Ringmail Gauntlets, Scale Gauntlets
- One of the following: Rawhide Bracers, Marksman's Bracers, Studded Leather Bracers
- One of the following: Cloth Gloves, Linen Gloves, Velvet Gloves
Travel to Hero's Moot in the Wayfarer Foothills. There, you can enter an instance where you meet Eir and Ferghen the Tracker. Follow his caravan all the way to the Heart of the Wolf. You will have to fight two waves of minotaurs along the way. When you reach your destination, two large groups will approach from each side of the camp. You do not have to fight all of these minotaur. Most will just run through the camp and leave. Some will stop and fight if you attack them first. The easiest way is to stay out of the way and attack only those that stop to fight the dolyak and the NPCs. Afterwards there is a final cinematic before the quest ends.
- Eir Stegalkin (Legendary)
- Ferghen the Tracker (10) (Veteran)
- Helf Stonebrow (1)
- Klaufi the Frugal (1)
- Oska (1)
- Shaman Gamli (19) (Veteran)
- Shaman Vigmarr (9)
- Dolyak (1)
- Minotaur Spirit (Legendary)
In your mail after reaching level 10:
Caravan Trouble, Need Your Help
Hay, Slayer! I've got more trouble than I can handle on my caravan delivery routes, and Eir Stegalkin said I should talk to you. I need some serious muscle to help me get where I'm going, and I reckon the Slayer of Issormir has what it takes. Up for a challenge? Come see me, and I'll make it worth your while.
—Ferghen the Tracker
Speaking with Klaufi the Frugal:
- Klaufi the Frugal: Make sure you can pay before you take anything from Helf. He's making me chop wood to settle my tab, and all I had was a pint of mead and a crust of bread!
That's nothing, I once chopped a hundred trees to kindling and didn't even break a sweat.
- Well, bully for you. Doesn't help me, though. I'm still stuck here, working off the most expensive snack ever.
- Each chop brings you closer to freedom. See you around.
If you ask me, that should be an easy job for someone as strong as you.
- Well, you can't argue with the facts, now can you? You're right: a little hard work never killed anybody.
- It's a good day to be exercising. Enjoy it!
Helf's "barter system" is how he keeps the prices so low. That way everybody benefits.
- I know, I know. Some merchants would have beaten me and dumped me in a snow bank. Still, seems like a waste of a good chop. Give me an enemy over a log any day.
- In the meantime, enjoy the warmth of Helf's fireplace.
- Thanks for the advice.
Speaking with Helf Stonebrow:
- Helf Stonebrow: It's been hard to get mead in from Hoelbrak. The Sons of Svanir keep ambushing my caravans.
I use that road all the time. If I spot trouble, you can count on me.
- That would help. The Slayer of Issormir on my side could make all the difference. You should stop by some time and have a pint. My treat.
- I can't refuse such a generous offer. See you soon!
You aren't the only one. Ferghen asked me to help protect his caravan, too.
- Ferghen? He was raving about grawl, or minotaurs, or drakes, but I wasn't listening. I bet he got lost in the forest and let his dolyaks wander off. It's happened before.
- I heard Ferghen's still sharp, for an old duffer. Anyway, good luck.
- Sorry to hear that. A shop without mead is hardly a shop at all.
Speaking with Oska:
- Oska: Slow down, friend! The suckling pig is almost ready.
I don't have time to wait. I have to help Fergen the Tracker.
- Be careful out there. Ferghen usually makes stuff up, but I've also heard strange noises in the forest these last few nights.
- Thanks for the warning. Enjoy your roast pig.
I don't eat meat. Hey, don't you judge me. I made a choice and I'm sticking with it.
- Okay, okay. But can't you flex this one time? It's delicious. No? Fine, then be careful out there. I've heard strange noises in the forest, lately.
- Thanks for the warning. Enjoy your roast pig.
- I can't stay. Glory awaits!
Speaking with Eir:
- Eir Stegalkin: I'm glad to see you again, Slayer. My old friend Ferghen is leading this caravan. Look at him. Something out on the trail really shook him up.
What was it?
- I'm unclear on that part, but he says his caravans are being harassed by wild animals. Ferghen is one of the best trackers I've ever known. I've never seen him like this.
- Maybe he's slipping. Well, let's see what his problem is so we can solve it.
- Your friend can relax. Whatever it is, I'll take care of it.
Speaking with Shaman Gamli:
- Shaman Gamli: May Wolf hunt with you! I thought no one would hear our call for help, much less answer it.
Those minotaurs were sure riled up. Is that how Shaman Vigmarr got hurt?
- No, it was the Sons of Svanir. Those cowards ambushed him while he was hunting, but his pack defended him. If not for them, Vigmarr might have been killed.
- It's good to be one of the pack. I'll see what else I can do to help yours.
- I'm always glad to help.
Speaking with Shaman Vigmarr:
- Shaman Vigmarr: Thank you, <Character name>. I am weary, but gaining strength. At least now I am safe with friends. May Wolf run with you in your travels.
- I am honored, shaman, Rest now, and recover quickly.
With Ferghen the Tracker: (cinematic)
- Ferghen the Tracker: Ah, the Slayer. What a sight for sore eyes. Between the two of you, I'm sure you can solve my problem.
- Ferghen the Tracker: I'm headed for Wolf Shrine, but now I've got the jitters about bringing my dolyaks there. One of the Spirits of the Wild has gone insane, attacking caravans.
- <Character name>: It makes no sense for a Spirit to do that.
- Ferghen the Tracker: Exactly my problem. I can't figure it out. I do know it's got the minotaurs around here riled up.
Idle dialogue afterwards:
- Ferghen the Tracker: Not "minotaur". It's the Minotaur! It's a spirit like Bear or Wolf. I'm a tracker, by Bear's bold butt. I know the difference.
- Eir Stegalkin: If such a spirit exists, it hasn't been seen in generations. Why would it show up now?
- Ferghen the Tracker: All I know is that it's out there. Once we get going, you'll see for yourself.
Speaking with Ferghen:
- Ferghen the Tracker: I'm glad you've come, Slayer. We're headed to the Wolf Shrine.
What are these dolyaks carrying?
- Mostly medical stuff for the Wolf shaman. The Sons of Svanir keep attacking the shrines, and he's got wolf cubs to mind.
- What can you tell me about the Sons of Svanir?
- Then we'd better get this caravan moving.
- Wolf is one of the four Spirits of the Wild that founded Hoelbrak. Besides the shrine, he has a lodge in Hoelbrak.
- What supplies does a Spirit of the Wild need? What are these dolyaks carrying? (leads to above)
- I'll have to visit Wolf there when we get back.
- I'll be with you every step of the way.
Right before first attack:
- Eir Stegalkin: I told you, Ferghen. There's nothing out here.
- Ferghen the Tracker: You just wait, kiddo. You'll see. Keep watch of those bushes. And up in the trees!
- Eir Stegalkin: Minotaurs? In the trees?
- Ferghen the Tracker: It's not some mere minotaur! It's a Spirit of the Wild! The granddaddy of all minotaurs. Hush now, I heard something!
After the first encounter with minotaurs:
- Ferghen the Tracker: You see? That's just not normal!
- Eir Stegalkin: I agree. Something's driving those minotaurs to attack. But what?
- Ferghen the Tracker: The Spirit! It's here to protect its kind. What's gotten it so frantic?
Before the second encounter with minotaurs:
- Ferghen the Tracker: By my father's hobnailed boots! Minotaurs! A whole stampede!
After arrival at Heart of the Wolf:
- Ferghen the Tracker: What was that on the cliff? Did you see that? I thought I saw...
- Ferghen the Tracker: It was the Minotaur! The Spirit! He's driving them crazy, I tell you.
After the fight at Heart of the Wolf:
- Ferghen the Tracker: If not for you two, this caravan would have been crushed flatter than hammered mud. Do you believe me about the Spirit of the Wild now?
- Eir Stegalkin: I agree the minotaurs are acting strangely, but that does not mean we're dealing with a Spirit of the Wild.
- Ferghen the Tracker: You youngsters know nothing. This isn't normal! Something is provoking the guardian spirit of the minotaurs.
- Eir Stegalkin: Even if that's true, it doesn't explain what's going on. What is the spirit reacting to? What is it trying to accomplish?
- Ferghen the Tracker: There's one way to find out. I saw the spirit down by the river, in a form solid enough to leave tracks. An enterprising tracker could follow the trail.
- <Character name>: Leave it to me. I'll go to the river and follow the tracks until I figure this out.
- Eir Stegalkin: While you're doing that, I'll be at my homestead in Hoelbrak if you need me. Good luck. If Ferghen's beast exists, I know you'll find it.
Speaking with Ferghen the Tracker after the final cinematic:
- Ferghen the Tracker: I knew you two were the right ones for the job. Thanks. Maybe now I can get some cargo delivered.
- Count on it. I'm about to track down the source of your problem.
- I think you're right about the Minotaur Spirit. Let's see if I can prove it.
- And I can find out what's been harassing you. Spirit or no, it needs to be dealt with.
- Carry on, tracker. I'll start tracking down whatever's been attacking your caravans.
Speaking with Eir Stegalkin after the final cinematic:
- Eir Stegalkin: Brave to track this creature alone, <Character name>. It'll probably be another big bull minotaur, but it's worth making sure.
- Whatever it is, I'm going to make sure it doesn't attack any more caravans.
- That's why I'm here. How else am I going to live up to your legend.
- And we will. Beast or spirit, whatever is preying on these caravans must be stopped.
- Thanks, Eir. I'll let you know what I find.
- Previous text
- I gave the bards something new to sing about by helping the people of Wayfarer Hills. I also received a message from Ferghen the Tracker, seeking my help. I'm on my way. Soon everybody will know my name!
- Eir and I defended a caravan. The minotaurs were acting very strangely. Ferghen the Tracker thinks the Spirit of the Wild, Minotaur, has come to Tyria. I plan to track this creature and find out what's going on.