The Championship Fight
The Championship Fight
- 1325 AE
- Personal story
- Everyone Makes Mistakes
- Frost Basin
- Sought Revenge
- Preceded by
- The Semifinals
- Followed by
- Dredge Technology
Loading screen for the brawl at Lake Mourn
Meet Eir at her homestead in Hoelbrak.
Participate in the Big Brawl final match near Lake Mourn.
Click here to edit the reward data
- All professions
- Dolyak Mail, Duty-Bound Duffers
- Wolfborn Vest, Ragamuffin Toeshoes
- Sheepskin Doublet, Homespun Espadrilles
This quest offers several chances to adjust your personality rating. Talk to various NPCs before and after the fight before you leave the instance if you wish to take advantage of this. First head to Eir's homestead and have a discussion on your past challenges. She will then challenge you to spar with her. She will turn into a wolf (bear) form and attacks using Become the Wolf/Become the Bear skills. Then go to Lake Mourn and talk to Knut. After the cinematic you may want to talk to some NPCs before the fight. The contestants from The Semifinals will give you a boon if you select the personality choice. If you talk to all three of them, you will get 30 minutes each of protection, might, and swiftness. Talk to Mikkel when you wish to begin the fight.
- Mikkel Toivosson (starts as ally)
Approaching Eir at her homestead.
- Eir Stegalkin: Good to see you again, slayer. Come. We have to talk.
Talking with Eir.
- Eir Stegalkin: Welcome back. I knew you'd make it this far, but now we have to make sure you're ready for the final fight. Mikkel beat you before. What have you learned that will help you defeat him this time?
I learned I not only love fighting. I'm the best at it. Bring on the next challenge!
- Yes, but you can't just anticipate your next fight and brag on your last victory. Mikkel fell into that trap, and it left him friendless and cruel.
- I see your point. What should I do, then? (Goes to biggest challenge question.)
- You've given me something to think about. Give me a moment to sort it all out.
Victory alone doesn't bring honor. Fight with honor to earn honor.
- Honor is a good cause. But justice is a greater one. Fighting to help others, even more than yourself, is the surest way to build a legend.
- Does that mean you think I'm ready to face Mikkel? (Goes to biggest challenge question.)
- I hadn't thought of it that way. Give me a moment to think that over.
I learned Mikkel's hurt a lot of people. I'm ready to teach him a lesson for all of us.
- True, but be careful—it's entirely too easy to follow his path, and consider yourself better than those who couldn't stand up to him.
- You're right. Just because I'm strong doesn't mean I should lord it over the weak. (Goes to biggest challenge question.)
- I'm going to have to think on that for a while.
- I'm not sure. Let me think about it before I answer.
- Eir Stegalkin: Let me ask you a question: of the foes you faced in the tournament so far, which was the biggest challenge?
- murellows. They weren't fighting for a title, they were fighting for their lives. (Appears if The Finishing Blow quest was chosen.)
- That's because a creature fighting for survival is the most dangerous opponent. Mikkel is nothing without his title. Be prepared for him to fight as hard as the murellows.
- I'll remember that. Am I ready to fight Mikkel now? (Goes to spar question)
- I see your point. Give me a moment to think it over before we continue.
- Nollarr and the Sons of Svanir. They were the only ones actually trying to kill me. (Appears if the First Attack quest was chosen.)
- You have fought Sons of Svanir before, but they still surprised you. Even the most familiar foe can catch you off guard. Remember this while fighting Mikkel.
- I will. When can I start? (Goes to spar question)
- Thank you for the lesson, Eir. We'll talk more later.
The charr, Spatha Greatblade. She had the perfect mix of savagery and skill.
- She looked like a wild beast, but she was disciplined and well trained. Mikkel is also more than he seems. Don't let his oafish exterior trick you.
- I understand. What happens now? (Goes to spar question)
- I need a moment to think that over before we continue.
The centaur, Banthor
- Yet such focus blinds one to the unexpected. That's how Mikkel beat you last time—you thought you knew everything he had to throw at you.
- That was a painful lesson, but I've learned it now. What happens next? (Goes to spar question)
- I see your point. Give me a moment to let it sink in.
The sylvari, Caheris. So friendly outside the ring, but inside, a fearsome opponent.
- Good. Show your enemy only what they wish to see, what they expect to see, and they won't look any deeper. That makes them vulnerable, easy to surprise.
- That's good advice. What happens now? (Goes to spar question)
- You've given me a lot to think about. Give me a moment to take it all in.
- That's a good question. I need some time to think before I answer.
- Eir Stegalkin: Let's test what you've learned. We'll spar, you and I, to make sure you're ready for Mikkel. Interested?
- Sounds like fun, Eir. Maybe you can teach me a few tricks!
- All right, just give me a minute to prepare myself.
- Eir Stegalkin: Stand back, Garm. I want you as a witness to this fight, not a participant.
- Eir Stegalkin: Prepare yourself. I won't go easy on you!
After fighting Eir (cinematic):
- Eir Stegalkin: That was excellent. I've seen you fight before, but you're truly in top form now. I think you're ready for this.
- <Character name>: I've never felt stronger or surer, and I chalk that up to everything I've learned from you. Thank you, Eir.
- Eir Stegalkin: I... No thanks necessary, Slayer. It was my pleasure to help you realize your potential. Mikkel is in for the toughest fight of his life.
- Eir Stegalkin: Make your way to the Great Lodge
- Eir Stegalkin: Take whatever time you need to prepare. We'll see you at the fight!
Talking to Eir before she leaves:
- Eir Stegalkin: If you're ready to start sparring, <Character name>, we'll begin.
- I'm not ready yet.
Talking to Knut at Lake Mourn (cinematic):
- Knut Whitebear: Welcome to the championship bout, Slayer. You've earned the right to be here.
- <Character name>: Getting this far taught me a lot. Not just about how to fight, but also when to fight, and why.
- Mikkel Toivosson: What a load. You were just lucky, getting this far. Why don't you quit now, to spare yourself another beating?
- <Character name>: Same old Mikkel: can't build yourself up without tearing someone else down.
- Eir Stegalkin: You're definitely ready, Slayer. Remember everything you've learned. Mikkel is a great brawler, but he is no hero. You can be both. Good luck!
- Knut Whitebear: Behold the Big Brawl's final round! Now we shall determine this year's winner. Are the competitors ready? Good. Then let the championship bout begin!
Talking with NPCs before fight.
- Juli: I've been talking wth
- Thanks. I'll do my best.
- Caheris: How exciting! You're really going to fight each other right there on the ice? I suppose the cold doesn't really affect norn, does it? Imagine that!
No, but support from the crowd does. May I have your blessing for the coming battle?
- How chivalrous! I never knew norn could be so... noble. Oh! That came out wrong. Forgive me. Please, accept my best wishes. I hope they will help! (Gives Swiftness effect.)
- They will. Thank you, Caheris.
- I hope you enjoy the fight, Good-bye.
- Gulthor: I am not used to seeing so many two-legs living together without fear. Hurry and fight, norn. I miss the scent of blood in my nostrils.
Tell me, as an accomplished fighter, how do you deal with an overwhelming offense?
- With a more powerful defense. I am no good with words—let me show you what I mean. This is a minor boon, but it will increase your resilience. (Gives Protection effect.)
- Thanks. I'll put it to good use.
- Stay close, centaur. When Mikkel starts bleeding. I'll waft some of it your way.
- Spatha Greatblade: I brought my whole warband to see the brawler who kicked my tail. Don't disappoint them. Or me. If you don't win, I'll never hear the end of it.
Tell them to watch close, and not to blink. I'm going to end this quickly.
- Ha! Not too quickly, I hope. Here, have some of our Black Citadel brandy—for a brawler, it's like throwing fuel on a fire.
- Might effect.) Delicious! I feel like I'm ready to breath fire. Thanks, soldier. (Gives
- Don't worry, the only thing they'll be talking about is Mikkel's painful defeat.
- Balteus Bloodletter: Good to see you again, kid. I came all this way to watch you put the hurt on that Mikkel clown, so don't disappoint me.
- Don't worry, Balteus. You'll get what you came for.
- Knut Whitebear: Mikkel's beside himself. Everyone's talking about your victories, which means no one's talking about him. Two brawlers, full of passion and purpose. This should be an exceptional bout.
- Oh, it will be. This is the chance I've been waiting for.
- Eir Stegalkin: This is it, <Character name>. Time for your hard work and determination to pay off.
- I'm ready. Thanks for all your help, Eir. I won't let you down.
Talking to Mikkel to start the fight.
- Mikkel Toivosson: So, you made it to the finals. Too bad I'm just going to crush you again. And you know it, don't you? Ha!
What I know is how to beat you, Mikkel. Let's fight!
- I'm ready, loser.
- Then let's go.
I can't compete with your witty words, so I'll just focus on beating you in the ring.
- Yeah, you'd like it if this were some kind of word fight, wouldn't you? Too bad, loser! I'm going to humiliate you all over again!
- I don't think so. And I'll prove you wrong—right now!
I know it's time the Big Brawl had a champion worthy of the name.
- Meaning you? Ha! Listen loser, the only thing that makes a true champion is victory, and you're never going to beat me.
- Keep thinking that, Mikkel. You're in for a shock.
- You keep babbling, Mikkel. I'm going to unpack the beating I have in store for you.
During fight with Mikkel.
- Mikkel Toivosson: Get ready to travel, Slayer! I'm gonna send you through an asura gate—to Pain Town!
- Mikkel Toivosson: Not bad. You're better than you were, Slayer, but I'm still the best!
- Mikkel Toivosson: That does it. I'm through taking it easy on you!
- Mikkel Toivosson: My back! You messed up my vert...my vertib...my spine!
After defeating Mikkel. (Cinematic)
- Knut Whitebear: Ladies and gentleman, please join me in congratulating the winner and new champion of the Big Brawl!
- Mikkel Toivosson: I want a rematch. I was robbed! I'm stronger than you, tougher than you, and better than you. How could I lose?
- <Character name>: It's not about strength, Mikkel. It's about purpose and conviction. You fought well. Don't dishonor yourself now with this whining.
- Knut Whitebear: Well done, Slayer. Today we saw you come back from defeat, to rise even higher than before. Every norn should take that lesson to heart.
- Eir Stegalkin: And they will. My time for glory may be past, but with heroes like the Slayer to inspire us, the ice dragon's days are surely numbered.
- <Character name>: May we all be there when Jormag falls. Until then, I dedicate my victory to all norn, everywhere. Come, help me celebrate!
Talking to NPCs after the fight.
- Mikkel Toivosson: Are you here to gloat? Laugh while you can. Luck, it was all luck. You'll see! One day...
- Sure, one day. And when that day comes, I'll be ready.
- Knut Whitebear: You were magnificent, Slayer. But I'm afraid we've set too high a standard. How is next year's Big Brawl ever going to top this extravaganza?
- I don't know, but I look forward to figuring it out. Now, let's celebrate!
- Eir Stegalkin: You've done well, <Character name>. Many will be eager to raise a mug with you.
I learned a lot about winning, and about being a hero. It's a difficult profession, isn't it?
- It certainly is, but you carry it well. I look forward to hearing about more great deeds in your future.
- I won't let you down.
That's only fair. I settled a long—standing debt today, and I deserve a toast or two.
- You did well, but don't let it go to your head. You are a hero, <Character name>, and you must act like one.
- Sorry, I got carried away. I'll remember that people are looking up to me. Thanks, Eir.
If anyone deserves to share in my victory, it's you. Come on, let's get some of that rum!
- Thank you, but I wouldn't want to distract anyone from the true hero here today. Enjoy your celebration. Garm and I will see you again soon.
- Until later, my friend!
- Farewell, Eir. And you, Garm. May Wolf watch over you both.
- Byrnn Twobear: What a fight. But tell me, which do you think sounds better: "Mikkel was annihilated" or "Mikeel was eradicated"?
- I say use 'em both. Now get in there and help us celebrate!
- Spatha Greatblade: An excellent victory. I wish it had been me in the finals, but seeing you win took the sting out of losing to you. You were clearly destined to win this tournament. At least, that's what I'm telling my warband.
- Ha! Just make sure you pronounce my name right when you tell them. Take care.
- Balteus Bloodletter: Outstanding fight, kid. And not just because I won a fortune betting on you. I want first crack at hosting any title defenses you make between now and the next Big Brawl.
Looking to make more coin, or just showing your charr fighters how it's done?
- Maybe a little of both. The fact is, you're a big draw, kid, and entrepreneurs like me are always looking for a big draw. Hey, I'll even throw in a keg of Bear's Brown Ale for your trouble.
- I can't make any promises, but keep that keg cold. See you around.
- I don't make the schedule, but I'd love to fight in your arena again. See you around.
- Caheris: That was amazing! I've never seen anything like it! You definitely deserve the title "champion."
- Thanks! Based on our fight, it won't be long before someone says the same about you.
- Gulthor: Impressive. I have learned much from watching you fight, as I did from fighting you myself. I might make a habit out of attending these matches, just to pick up more of this norn fighting style.
It's not complicated. Hit your opponent harder and more often than they hit you.
- But surely it's not that simple—wait, I see. You're understating your skills as a kind of diversion to secure an advantage. Well played, norn.
- We're full of suprises. Keep watching and you'll see a lot more. Good-bye now.
For what purpose? I've learned that fighting for fighting's sake doesn't get you anywhere.
- That suits me. I have no herd, no home, and no purpose. Not getting anywhere does not concern me, because I am not going anywhere. Perfecting my skills is all I live for.
- Then you need a new life, my friend. A more rewarding one. I hope you find it soon.
- I learned a lot from you too, Banthor
- Juli: That was great! Minotaur liked it too. But old Knut Stupidbear says I can't have any beer. I told him that it's part of my training to be a havroun, but he just laughs and says, "Indeed!"
- He's right, but as soon as you start winning tournaments, we can all celebrate together.