The Championship Fight
The Championship Fight
Loading screen for the brawl at Lake Mourn
The Championship Fight is part of the personal story for norn characters who have chosen revenge in their biography by selecting they got in a fight at the moot and have completed The Semifinals. Completing this quest will unlock the Things Best Left Behind achievement.
Meet Eir at her homestead in Hoelbrak.
- Consult with Eir.
Participate in the Big Brawl final match near Lake Mourn.
- Talk to Knut.
- Talk to Mikkel to begin the fight.
- Mikkel Toivosson
Click here to edit the reward data
- All professions
- Dolyak Mail, Duty-Bound Duffers
- Wolfborn Vest, Ragamuffin Toeshoes
- Sheepskin Doublet, Homespun Espadrilles
This quest offers several chances to adjust your personality rating. Talk to various NPCs before and after the fight before you leave the instance if you wish to take advantage of this.
First head to Eir's Homestead and talk to Eir about your past challenges. She will then challenge you to spar with her. She will use a mix of ranger longbow and Become the Wolf skills.
After talking to and defeating Eir, go to Lake Mourn and enter the second instance. Talk to Knut Whitebear. Afterwards, you have the choice to talk to the NPCs before the fight. If you want a boost for the fight to come, the contestants from The Semifinals will give you a boon if you select the personality choices. Getting all three boons will give you 30 minutes each of Protection, Might, and Swiftness. Finally, talk to Mikkel when you wish to begin the fight.
Mikkel's fight is fairly straightforward, as he only has three melee skills. You can reduce his chances of hitting you by fighting him from range and moving continuously. He'll be defeated once at low health, at which point the story step is complete, however there is additional dialogue afterwards with the crowd.
- Byrnn Twobear
- Eir Stegalkin
- Juli (only if completed Minotaur Rampant)
- Knut Whitebear
- Havroun Grechen (only if completed The Wolf Havroun)
- Havroun Valda (only if completed The Wolf Havroun)
- Havroun Weibe (only if completed The Wolf Havroun)
- Eir Stegalkin (starts as ally)
- Mikkel Toivosson (starts as ally)
Approaching Eir at her homestead:
- Eir Stegalkin: Good to see you again, slayer. Come. We have to talk.
Talking with Eir:
- Eir Stegalkin: Welcome back. I knew you'd make it this far, but now we have to make sure you're ready for the final fight. Mikkel beat you before. What have you learned that will help you defeat him this time?
I learned I not only love fighting, I'm the best at it. Bring on the next challenge!
- Yes, but you can't just anticipate your next fight and brag on your last victory. Mikkel fell into that trap, and it left him friendless and cruel.
- I see your point. What should I do, then? (leads to "biggest challenge" question below)
- You've given me something to think about. Give me a moment to sort it all out.
Victory alone doesn't bring honor. Fight with honor to earn honor.
- Honor is a good cause. But justice is a greater one. Fighting to help others, even more than yourself, is the surest way to build a legend.
- Does that mean you think I'm ready to face Mikkel? (leads to "biggest challenge" question below)
- I hadn't thought of it that way. Give me a moment to think that over.
I learned Mikkel's hurt a lot of people. I'm ready to teach him a lesson for all of us.
- True, but be careful—it's entirely too easy to follow his path, and consider yourself better than those who couldn't stand up to him.
- You're right. Just because I'm strong doesn't mean I should lord it over the weak. (leads to "biggest challenge" question below)
- I'm going to have to think on that for a while.
- I'm not sure. Let me think about it before I answer.
- Eir Stegalkin: Let me ask you a question: of the foes you faced in the tournament so far, which was the biggest challenge?
- murellows. They weren't fighting for a title, they were fighting for their lives. (appears if The Finishing Blow quest was chosen)
- That's because a creature fighting for survival is the most dangerous opponent. Mikkel is nothing without his title. Be prepared for him to fight as hard as the murellows.
- I'll remember that. Am I ready to fight Mikkel now? (leads to "we'll spar" question below)
- I see your point. Give me a moment to think it over before we continue.
- Nollarr and the Sons of Svanir. They were the only ones actually trying to kill me. (appears if the First Attack quest was chosen)
- You have fought Sons of Svanir before, but they still surprised you. Even the most familiar foe can catch you off guard. Remember this while fighting Mikkel.
- I will. When can I start? (leads to "we'll spar" question below)
- Thank you for the lesson, Eir. We'll talk more later.
The charr, Spatha Greatblade. She had the perfect mix of savagery and skill.
- She looked like a wild beast, but she was disciplined and well trained. Mikkel is also more than he seems. Don't let his oafish exterior trick you.
- I understand. What happens now? (leads to "we'll spar" question below)
- I need a moment to think that over before we continue.
- . I've rarely seen such focus and determination.
The centaur, Banthor
- Yet such focus blinds one to the unexpected. That's how Mikkel beat you last time—you thought you knew everything he had to throw at you.
- That was a painful lesson, but I've learned it now. What happens next? (leads to "we'll spar" question below)
- I see your point. Give me a moment to let it sink in.
The sylvari, Caheris. So friendly outside the ring, but inside, a fearsome opponent.
- Good. Show your enemy only what they wish to see, what they expect to see, and they won't look any deeper. That makes them vulnerable, easy to surprise.
- That's good advice. What happens now? (leads to "we'll spar" question below)
- You've given me a lot to think about. Give me a moment to take it all in.
- That's a good question. I need some time to think before I answer.
- Eir Stegalkin: Let's test what you've learned. We'll spar, you and I, to make sure you're ready for Mikkel. Interested?
- Sounds like fun, Eir. Maybe you can teach me a few tricks!
- All right. Just give me a minute to prepare myself.
- Eir Stegalkin: Stand back, Garm. I want you as a witness to this fight, not a participant.
- Eir Stegalkin: Prepare yourself. I won't go easy on you!
- Eir Stegalkin points at <Character name>.
After fighting Eir (cinematic):
- Eir Stegalkin bows to <Character name>.
- Eir Stegalkin: That was excellent. I've seen you fight before, but you're truly in top form now. I think you're ready for this.
- <Character name>: I've never felt stronger or surer, and I chalk that up to everything I've learned from you. Thank you, Eir.
- Eir Stegalkin: I... No thanks necessary, Slayer. It was my pleasure to help you realize your potential. Mikkel is in for the toughest fight of his life.
- Eir Stegalkin: Make your way to the Great Lodge, where Knut and Mikkel are waiting. Come on, Garm! This is one tournament fight we don't want to miss.
- Eir Stegalkin: Take whatever time you need to prepare. We'll see you at the fight!
Talking to Eir before she leaves:
- Eir Stegalkin: If you're ready to start sparring, <Character name>, we'll begin.
-  I'm ready. Let's go!
- I'm not ready yet.
Talking to Knut at Lake Mourn (cinematic):
- Knut Whitebear: Welcome to the championship bout, Slayer. You've earned the right to be here.
- <Character name>: Getting this far taught me a lot. Not just about how to fight, but also when to fight, and why.
- Mikkel Toivosson: What a load. You were just lucky, getting this far. Why don't you quit now, to spare yourself another beating?
- <Character name>: Same old Mikkel: can't build himself up without tearing someone else down.
- Eir Stegalkin: You're definitely ready, Slayer. Remember everything you've learned. Mikkel is a great brawler, but he is no hero. You can be both. Good luck!
- Knut Whitebear: Behold the Big Brawl's final round! Now we shall determine this year's winner. Are the competitors ready? Good. Then let the championship bout begin!
Talking with NPCs before the fight:
- Brawler: Good luck out there, Slayer. I just wish it were me kicking that pompus jerk in the face. Kick him hard.
- Count on it.
- Havroun Svena: I rarely appear at such gatherings, but this was too enticing. I'll be watching closely, Slayer. Best of luck.
- Thanks, Svena.
- Havroun Valda: I came to wish you luck and give you Wolf's blessing. Those who support you here today are your pack, and their cheers will strengthen you.
- I'll make sure I'm worthy of Wolf's support. And yours.
- Havroun Weibe: May Raven's wisdom guide you, <Character name>. May Raven's feathers land in Mikkel's flagon as he quaffs, so that he chokes and sprays ale from both nostrils.
- Ha! Remind me not to get on Raven's bad side.
- Juli: I've been talking wth  Minotaur, and he thinks you're gonna win the fight. I think he's right.
- Thanks. I'll do my best.
- Byrnn Twobear: I've already started on a tale of your heroic victory, <Character name>. So don't lose...we need a real champion, and it'd be a crime to waste some of my deathless prose!
- Never fear, wordsmith. This fight's as good as won.
- Caheris: How exciting! You're really going to fight each other right there on the ice? I suppose the cold doesn't really affect norn, does it? Imagine that!
No, but support from the crowd does. May I have your blessing for the coming battle?
- How chivalrous! I never knew norn could be so...noble. Oh! That came out wrong. Please, accept my best wishes. I hope they will help! (gives Swiftness effect)
- They will. Thank you, Caheris.
- I hope you enjoy the fight. Good-bye.
- Gulthor: I am not used to seeing so many two-legs living together without fear. Hurry and fight, norn. I miss the scent of blood in my nostrils.
Tell me, as an accomplished fighter, how do you deal with an overwhelming offense?
- With a more powerful defense. I am no good with words—let me show you what I mean. This is a minor boon, but it will increase your resilience. (gives Protection effect)
- Thanks. I'll put it to good use.
- Stay close, centaur. When Mikkel starts bleeding, I'll waft some of it your way.
- Spatha Greatblade: I brought my whole warband to see the brawler who kicked my tail. Don't disappoint them. Or me. If you don't win, I'll never hear the end of it.
- Tell them to watch close, and not to blink. I'm going to end this quickly.
- Don't worry, the only thing they'll be talking about is Mikkel's painful defeat.
- Balteus Bloodletter: Good to see you again, kid. I came all this way to watch you put the hurt on that Mikkel clown, so don't disappoint me.
- Don't worry, Balteus. You'll get what you came for.
- Knut Whitebear: Mikkel's beside himself. Everyone's talking about your victories, which means no one's talking about him. Two brawlers, full of passion and purpose. This should be an exceptional bout.
- Oh, it will be. This is the chance I've been waiting for.
- Eir Stegalkin: This is it, <Character name>. Time for your hard work and determination to pay off.
- I'm ready. Thanks for all your help, Eir. I won't let you down.
Talking to Mikkel to start the fight:
- Mikkel Toivosson: So, you made it to the finals. Too bad I'm just going to crush you again. And you know it, don't you? Ha!
What I know is how to beat you, Mikkel. Let's fight!
- I'm ready, loser.
- Then let's go.
I can't compete with your witty words, so I'll just focus on beating you in the ring.
- Yeah, you'd like it if this were some kind of word fight, wouldn't you? Too bad, loser! I'm going to humiliate you all over again!
- I don't think so. And I'll prove you wrong—right now!
I know it's time the Big Brawl had a champion worthy of the name.
- Meaning you? Ha! Listen, loser, the only thing that makes a true champion is victory, and you're never going to beat me.
- Keep thinking that, Mikkel. You're in for a shock.
- verification requested] You keep babbling, Mikkel. I'm going to unpack the beating I have in store for you. [
- Keep babbling while I unpack the beating I have for you.
During the fight with Mikkel:
- Mikkel Toivosson: Get ready to travel, Slayer! I'm gonna send you through an asura gate—to Pain Town!
- Mikkel Toivosson: Not bad. You're better than you were, Slayer, but I'm still the best!
- Mikkel Toivosson: That does it. I'm through taking it easy on you!
- Mikkel Toivosson: My back! You messed up my vert...my vertib...my spine!
After defeating Mikkel (cinematic):
- Knut Whitebear: Ladies and gentlemen, please join me in congratulating the winner and new champion of the Big Brawl!
- Mikkel Toivosson: I want a rematch. I was robbed! I'm stronger than you, tougher than you, and better than you. How could I lose?
- <Character name>: It's not about strength, Mikkel. It's about purpose and conviction. You fought well. Don't dishonor yourself now with this whining.
- Knut Whitebear: Well done, Slayer. Today we saw you come back from defeat, to rise even higher than before. Every norn should take that lesson to heart.
- Eir Stegalkin: And they will. My time for glory may be past, but with heroes like the Slayer to inspire us, the ice dragon's days are surely numbered.
- <Character name>: May we all be there when Jormag falls. Until then, I dedicate my victory to all norn, everywhere. Come, help me celebrate!
Talking to NPCs after the fight:
- Mikkel Toivosson: Are you here to gloat? Laugh while you can. Luck, it was all luck. You'll see! One day...
- verification requested] Sure, one day. And when that day comes, I'll be ready.[
- Sure, sure. If that day ever comes, I'll be ready.
- Knut Whitebear: You were magnificent, Slayer. But I'm afraid we've set too high a standard. How is next year's Big Brawl ever going to top this extravaganza?
- verification requested] I don't know, but I look forward to figuring it out. Now, let's celebrate![
- Knut Whitebear: You were magnificent, Slayer. But now we've set the bar too high. Next year's Big Brawl can't top this extravaganza.
- I'm sure it'll work out. Now, let's celebrate!
- Eir Stegalkin: You've done very well, <Character name>. Many will be eager to raise a mug with you.
I learned a lot about winning, and about being a hero. It's a difficult profession, isn't it?
- It certainly is, but you carry it well. I look forward to hearing about more great deeds in your future.
- I won't let you down.
That's only fair. I settled a long-standing debt today, and I deserve a toast or two.
- You did well, but don't let it go to your head. You are a hero, <Character name>, and you must act like one.
- Sorry, I got carried away. I'll remember that people are looking up to me. Thanks, Eir.
If anyone deserves to share in my victory, it's you. Come on, try some of that rum!
- Thank you, but I wouldn't want to distract anyone from the true hero here today. Enjoy your celebration. Garm and I will see you again soon.[verification requested]
- No. I would only distract people from the true hero. Enjoy your celebration. Garm and I will see you again soon.
- Until later, my friend!
- Farewell, Eir. And you, Garm. May Wolf watch over you both.
- Byrnn Twobear: What a fight. But tell me, which do you think sounds better: "Mikkel was annihilated" or "Mikeel was eradicated"?
- verification requested] I say use 'em both. Now get in there and help us celebrate![
- Byrnn Twobear: Which do you think sounds better: "Mikkel was annihilated" or "Mikkel was eradicated"?
- Use 'em both. Now get in there and help us celebrate!
- Spatha Greatblade: An excellent victory. I wish it had been me in the finals, but seeing you win took the sting out of losing to you. You were clearly destined to win this tournament. At least, that's what I'm telling my warband.
- Ha! Just make sure you pronounce my name right when you tell them. Take care.
- Balteus Bloodletter: Outstanding fight, kid. And not just because I won a fortune betting on you. I want first crack at hosting any title defenses you make between now and the next Big Brawl.
Looking to make more coin, or just showing your charr fighters how it's done?
- Maybe a little of both. The fact is, you're a big draw, kid, and entrepreneurs like me are always looking for a big draw. Hey, I'll even throw in a keg of Bear's Brown Ale for your trouble.
- I can't make any promises, but keep that keg cold. See you around.
- I don't make the schedule, but I'd love to fight in your arena again. See you around.
- Caheris: That was amazing! I've never seen anything like it! You definitely deserve the title "champion."
- Thanks! Based on our fight, it won't be long before someone says the same about you.
- Gulthor: Impressive. I have learned much from watching you fight, as I did from fighting you myself. I might make a habit out of attending these matches, just to pick up more of this norn fighting style.
It's not complicated. Hit your opponent harder and more often than they hit you.
- But surely it's not that simple—wait, I see. You're understating your skills as a kind of diversion to secure an advantage. Well played, norn.
- We're full of suprises. Keep watching and you'll see a lot more. Good-bye now.
For what purpose? I've learned that fighting for fighting's sake doesn't get you anywhere.
- That suits me. I have no herd, no home, and no purpose. Not getting anywhere does not concern me, because I am not going anywhere. Perfecting my skills is all I live for.
- Then you need a new life, my friend. A more rewarding one. I hope you find it soon.
- . Enjoy the fights! I learned a lot from you too, Banthor
- Brewer (female): Great work, <Character name>. My next batch of extra-strong ale is dedicated to you.
- That's quite an honor.
- Brewer (male): Beer on the house for Brawl fighters! And for our new champ, an exotic treat: rum straight from Lion's Arch, mysteriously "lost" en route to the commodore's table. Bottoms up!
- Cheers, everyone!
- Brawler: That was amazing. I got to see the crowning of a true champion, and I get free beer! Best Big Brawl ever.
- It's not over yet. There's still celebrating to be done!
- Juli: That was great! Minotaur liked it too. But old Knut Stupidbear says I can't have any beer. I told him that it's part of my training to be a havroun, but he just laughs and says, "Indeed!"
- He's right, but as soon as you start winning tournaments, we can all celebrate together.
- Havroun Svena: Fantastic! Snow Leopard is very pleased. And for the first time in a long time, I look forward to joining the party.
- I'm honored, Svena. Have fun!
- Havroun Valda: I...I have not had much to smile about lately, but this great day has eased my burden.
- It doesn't have to end. Join us for the celebration!
- Havroun Weibe: Fine work, Slayer. Raven is very pleased, as am I. You have learned much.
- With friends like you and Eir, I learn all the time. Join the celebration!