Currency describes the game's units of commerce that are used to pay for goods and services. The lower bar of the inventory panel displays two types of currency: coin and one other type that varies based on the location of the player.
The wallet is a section in the inventory that tracks currency for each account. It can be opened by clicking on the wallet icon in the lower-left corner of the inventory window. The wallet is shared by all characters on the account: currency earned by any character is automatically deposited into the wallet; currency spent by any character is automatically withdrawn from it.
- Hero points are acquired through completing Hero Challenges and leveling up, and are used to unlock skills and traits.
- Supply is acquired through and used in WvW to build structure upgrades and siege weapons.
- Account-based (Wallet)
- Coin — The primary currency of Tyria.
- Gems — Purchased and spent via the Black Lion Trading Company.
- Karma — Earned through various activities. Spent at vendors throughout the world.
- Spirit Shards — Earned as loot or gained from XP after completing all masteries for a region. Spent at Miyani and Grandmaster Craftsman Hobbs.
- Laurels — Earned through the Log-in Reward Chest and Achievement rewards. Spent at laurel merchants.
- Transmutation Charges — Purchased via the Black Lion Trading Company or earned from Reward tracks. Spent in the wardrobe to change appearance.
- Guild Commendations — Earned through Guild Missions. Can be traded with a guild commendation trader.
- Provisioner Tokens — Earned by helping Faction Provisioners in the Heart of Maguuma.
- PvP League Tickets — Earned when crossing division thresholds during PvP league seasons.
- Map currencies — Earned in a specific zone and spent at vendors in that zone.
- Geodes — Earned in Dry Top.
- Bandit Crests — Earned in the Silverwastes.
- Airship Parts — Earned in Verdant Brink. Can be exchanged with Itzel Mastery Vendors.
- Lumps of Aurillium — Earned in Auric Basin. Can be exchanged with Exalted Mastery Vendors.
- Ley Line Crystals — Earned in Tangled Depths. Can be exchanged with Nuhoch Mastery Vendors.
- Unbound Magic — Earned in Bloodstone Fen, Ember Bay and Bitterfrost Frontier.
- World versus World currencies
- Badges of Honor — Earned by participating in World versus World or from Achievement rewards. Can be spent on equipment, food, and siege weapons in WvW maps.
- Proof of Heroics — Earned by ranking up in World versus World.
- WvW Tournament Claim Ticket — Earned by participating in World versus World tournaments. Traded for various rewards at a WvW Battle Historian.
- Player versus Player currencies
- Dungeon currencies — Earned in dungeons and spent at Dungeon Armor and Weapons in Lion's Arch.
- Ascalonian Tears — Earned in Ascalonian Catacombs.
- Seals of Beetletun — Earned in Caudecus's Manor.
- Deadly Blooms — Earned in Twilight Arbor.
- Manifestos of the Moletariate — Earned in Sorrow's Embrace.
- Flame Legion Charr Carvings — Earned in Citadel of Flame.
- Symbols of Koda — Earned in Honor of the Waves.
- Knowledge Crystals — Earned in Crucible of Eternity.
- Shards of Zhaitan — Earned in the Ruined City of Arah.
- Fractal currencies
- Raid currencies
- Guild currencies
- Aetherium — This material is automatically gained over time. The rate depends onGuild Mine upgrades.
- Favor — Used to research guild upgrades and purchase items. Earned when players representing a guild participate in guild missions. A guild's accumulated favor can be seen via the guild panel.
- Influence — Was once used to research guild upgrades and boons; it used to be earned when players representing a guild participated in events, PvP, and the personal story. A guild's accumulated influence can be seen via the guild panel.
- Primary article: Token
Tokens are physical items that take up space in your inventory and are used to purchase items from certain vendors. Living World releases may include one or more types of tokens that are only available as drops for a limited time. Permanent tokens include Black Lion Claim Ticket Scraps that can be found in Black Lion Chests, and multi-use items, such as Karka Shells and Globs of Ectoplasm, used both as tokens and as crafting materials.
- Coin can be exchanged for gems (and vice versa) on the trading post.
- Currencies and other tokens can be indirectly converted to coin by using them to purchase items that can then be crafted, forged, or otherwise used to produce items that can be sold to vendors and/or on the trading post.
- Glory was once used to unlock skins for use in Structured PvP; it could only be obtained through participation in the Structured PvP game mode. With the rewards structure change in the April 2014 Feature Pack it was removed from the game.
- Skill points were once used mainly to unlock skills, but were also required to purchase items from Miyani. In the June 23, 2015 update they were replaced with Hero points and Spirit Shards, with unspent Skill points being converted to Spirit Shards.
- Guild Merits were once required to research high-tier guild upgrades and boons; it used to be earned when players representing a guild participated in guild missions. This was replaced with Favor.
- The account vault can no longer be used to store coin.
- Mystic Forge recipes requiring Fractal Relics have been changed to use Piles of Crystalline Dust instead.
- The wallet was introduced in the Queen's Jubilee release on August 6, 2013. Following this update, all of a character's currencies were automatically deposited into the wallet the first time that character was logged in to the game. Each character had to be logged in separately to deposit any currency held by that character. Currencies in the account vault were automatically deposited after the first login on that account.
- The wallet interface was updated and includes additional currencies from the June 23, 2015 game update.
- When first logging in after the wallet was released, each pre-existing character received the following mail: