Currencies are used to buy goods and services from vendors and other players. The lower bar of the inventory panel displays a varying amount of currencies and materials based on and relevant to the location of the player, with coins always being included.
The wallet is a section in the inventory that tracks currency for the account. It can be opened by clicking on the wallet icon in the lower-left corner of the inventory window. The wallet is shared by all characters on the account: currency earned by any character is automatically deposited into the wallet; currency spent by any character is automatically withdrawn from it.
- Gems — Purchased and spent via the Gem Store. Gems and coins are mutually convertible through the Currency Exchange.
- Coin — The primary currency of Tyria, used to purchase items from other players on the Trading Post or from vendor NPCs. Earned both directly from various rewards, or by selling items and materials that are not bound to the account.
- Karma — Earned through various activities and spent at vendors throughout the world.
- Spirit Shards — Earned as loot or gained from experience after reaching max level mastery for a region. Spent at Mystic Forge and legendary crafting vendors.
- Laurels — Earned through the Login rewards and Achievement rewards. Spent at laurel merchants.
- Transmutation Charges — Purchased in the Gem Store or from various vendors, earned from Reward tracks or by doing map completion. Spent in the Wardrobe to change appearance.
- Astral Acclaim — Earned through the Wizard's Vault by completing daily, weekly, and seasonal achievements. Used to purchase Astral Rewards.
- PvP League Tickets — Earned when crossing division thresholds during PvP league seasons.
- Ascended Shard of Glory — Earned by each final chest in each tier League reward tracks.
- Badges of Honor — Earned by participating in World versus World or from Achievement rewards. Can be spent on equipment, food, and siege weapons in WvW maps.
- WvW Skirmish Claim Ticket — Earned by completing World versus World Skirmish reward tracks. Traded for various rewards at a Skirmish Supervisor.
- Proof of Heroics — Previously earned by ranking up in World versus World prior to the release of Path of Fire.
- Testimony of Desert Heroics — Previously earned by ranking up in World versus World prior to the release of End of Dragons.
- Testimony of Jade Heroics — Earned by ranking up in World versus World.
- Guild Commendations — Earned through Guild missions. Can be traded with a guild commendation trader.
- Racing Medallions — Earned by participating in Roller Beetle Races and Roller Beetle Time Trial adventures.
- Festival Tokens — Earned during the Festival of the Four Winds.
- Provisioner Tokens — Earned by helping Faction Provisioners.
- Core game
- Heart of Thorns expansion
- Airship Parts — Earned in Verdant Brink. Can be exchanged with Itzel Mastery Vendors.
- Lumps of Aurillium — Earned in Auric Basin. Can be exchanged with Exalted Mastery Vendors.
- Ley Line Crystals — Earned in Tangled Depths. Can be exchanged with Nuhoch Mastery Vendors.
- Unbound Magic — Earned in Living World Season 3 maps: Bloodstone Fen, Ember Bay, Bitterfrost Frontier, Lake Doric, Draconis Mons, and Siren's Landing.
- Path of Fire expansion
- Trade Contracts — Earned in the following Crystal Desert maps: Crystal Oasis, Desert Highlands, Elon Riverlands, The Desolation and Domain of Vabbi.
- Elegy Mosaics — Earned in the Crystal Desert maps for defeating legendary bounty targets and completing local meta events.
- Volatile Magic — Earned in Living World Season 4 maps: Domain of Istan, Sandswept Isles, Domain of Kourna, Jahai Bluffs, Thunderhead Peaks and Dragonfall.
- War Supplies — Earned in Drizzlewood Coast in the The Icebrood Saga.
- Tyrian Defense Seals — Earned in Dragon Response Missions and Dragonstorm world boss event. Spent at faction vendors in Eye of the North.
- End of Dragons expansion
- Imperial Favor — Earned by completing events in Cantha zones.
- Ancient Coin — Earned by looting chests in Cantha zones.
- Jade Sliver — Earned by using Recycler: Jade Slivers module in the Jade Bot.
- Canach Coin — Obtained through participating in activities in Club Canach, an area of Arborstone.
- Research Note — Earned by salvaging some crafted items with a Research Kit.
- Secrets of the Obscure expansion
Instanced group content
- Magnetite Shards — Earned by progressing in raid encounters. Spent at Scholar Glenna inside the raid instances or at Basic Magnetite Exchange Operative.
- Legendary Insights — Earned by successfully completing raid encounters and challenge motes of Strike Missions. Used in crafting raid legendary armor and trinket.
- Strike Missions
- Blue Prophet Shards — Earned from the The Icebrood Saga and older expansions' Strike Missions (End of Dragons), can be traded with vendors Crystallographer Smoxxi and Zazzl.
- Green Prophet Shards — Earned from the latest expansion's Strike Missions, currently Secrets of the Obscure. Can be traded with the vendor Nikki the Lost.
- Fractal Relics — Earned and spent in the Fractals of the Mists dungeon.
- Pristine Fractal Relics — Earned and spent in Fractals of the Mists. Used to purchase ascended rings.
- Unstable Fractal Essences — Earned and spent in Fractals of the Mists challenge motes. Used to purchase challenge mote rewards from BLING-9009.
- Tales of Dungeon Delving — Earned in dungeons in Central Tyria.
- Zephyrite Lockpicks — Used to open buried locked chests in Dry Top.
- Bandit Skeleton Keys — Used to open lost bandit chests in the Silverwastes.
- Pact Crowbars — Used to open airship cargo in Verdant Brink.
- Exalted Keys — Used to open Exalted chests in Auric Basin.
- Vials of Chak Acid — Used to open crystallized supply caches in Tangled Depths.
- Machetes — Used to open noxious pods in Dragon's Stand.
- Trader's Keys — Used to open trade caches in the Crystal Desert.
- Mistborn Keys — Used to open Mistborn Coffers in Dragonfall.
- Cache Keys — Used to open Lost Charr Supply Drops as well as Keep Lord's Chests in the Drizzlewood Coast.
- Blue Prophet Crystals — Used to open Vigil Emissary Chest in the Eye of the North.
- Jade Miner's Keycards — Used to open Gyala Delve Mining Caches in Gyala Delve.
These currencies are acquired and stored individually for each character on the account.
- Hero points are acquired through completing Hero Challenges and leveling up and used to unlock skills and traits in the Training tab of the Hero panel.
- Supply is acquired through and used in World versus World to build structure upgrades and siege weapons.
- Aetherium — This material is automatically gained over time. The rate depends on Guild Mine upgrades.
- Favor — Used to research guild upgrades and purchase items. Earned when players representing a guild participate in guild missions. A guild's accumulated favor can be seen via the guild panel.
- Primary article: Token
Tokens refers to items of various types stored in the inventory that are used to purchase items from certain vendors. Living World releases may include one or more types of tokens that are only available as drops or rewards. Other tokens include Black Lion Claim Ticket Scraps that can be found in Black Lion Chests, and multi-use items, such as Karka Shells and Globs of Ectoplasm, used both as tokens and as crafting materials.
- The wallet was introduced in the Queen's Jubilee release on August 6, 2013. Following this update, all of a character's currencies were automatically deposited into the wallet the first time that character was logged in to the game. Each character had to be logged in separately to deposit any currency held by that character. Currencies in the account vault were automatically deposited after the first login on that account.
- When first logging in after the wallet was released, each pre-existing character received the following mail:
Magical Wallet Delivery
Enjoy your new wallet!
Your new wallet will automatically collect all coins, tokens, and other various currencies from a character's inventory when you log in with that character. The collected currency will all go into one account-wide pool. You can access your currencies through a tab in the Hero Panel or your inventory. All future currency items will automatically be added to the account-wide pool.
- Mystic Forge recipes requiring Fractal Relics have been changed to use Piles of Crystalline Dust instead.
- Keys and Competitive Currencies were added to the wallet with the November 28, 2017 update.
- Glory was once used to unlock skins for use in Structured PvP; it could only be obtained through participation in the Structured PvP game mode. With the rewards structure change in the April 2014 Feature Pack it was removed from the game.
- Skill points were once used mainly to unlock skills, but were also required to purchase items from Miyani. In the June 23, 2015 update they were replaced with Hero points and Spirit Shards, with unspent Skill points being converted to Spirit Shards.
- Guild Merits were once required to research high-tier guild upgrades and boons; it used to be earned when players representing a guild participated in guild missions. This was replaced with Favor.
- Red Prophet Crystals and Red Prophet Shards were used to open Whispers Emissary Chests in the Eye of the North before the release of End of Dragons.
- The June 23, 2015 game update added Geodes, Bandit Crests, Pristine Fractal Relics, WvW Tournament Claim Tickets, and Spirit Shards to the wallet.
- Since the June 6, 2019 update, Festival Tokens can be consumed to add them to the wallet.
- The following eight dungeon currencies were consolidated into Tales of Dungeon Delving with the June 7, 2022 update:
- Ascalonian Tears — Previously earned in Ascalonian Catacombs.
- Seals of Beetletun — Previously earned in Caudecus's Manor.
- Deadly Blooms — Previously earned in Twilight Arbor.
- Manifestos of the Moletariate — Previously earned in Sorrow's Embrace.
- Flame Legion Charr Carvings — Previously earned in Citadel of Flame.
- Symbols of Koda — Previously earned in Honor of the Waves.
- Knowledge Crystals — Previously earned in Crucible of Eternity.
- Shards of Zhaitan — Previously earned in the Ruined City of Arah.
- Gaeting Crystals were converted to Magnetite Shards with the with the July 19, 2022 update. Previously earned in Path of Fire raids.