Click to enlarge.
Watery, foggy footprints.
- This item allows selection of stats. See below for a list of available prefixes.
Superior Sigil of Accuracy Unused Infusion Slot
— In-game description
Howler is a legendary warhorn crafted in the Mystic Forge. The horn's design resembles a wolf head and a snake, with the wolf head moving and howling during certain animations. Howler is heavily associated with ghosts, shades, and the Spirits of the Wild, especially Wolf.
- Mystic Forge
- Output qty.
Howler is a wolf-headed warhorn with a snake coiling around the body of the horn.
- When drawn, a cloud of fog follows the player. When standing still, the fog surrounds the wielder.
- When drawn during the night, a full moon appears in the crescent of the horn, surrounding the wolf's head.
- Draw/Stow effects
- When drawn, a burst of water splashes the user's body, before raining down in small droplets, leaving ripples in the ground. Additionally, a full moon can be briefly seen around the wolf's head, regardless of the time of day.
- When drawn, the wolf will raise its head and let out a faint howl. The head raising animation will occasionally happen when the weapon is out, but it will not howl a second time.
- The user leaves behind subtle watery footprints that quickly evaporate into fog.
- Skill effects
- Upon blowing the horn, the wolf's head rises and makes a faint howling sound, while a moon illuminates in the crescent of the horn for a brief moment.
- When using Charge, Call of Valor, or Call of the Wild, a big ghostly wolf head grows briefly from the horn, and mirrors the smaller wolf in the horn in howling. The howl of the ghostly wolf creates an extremely brief foggy breath along with rings from the vibration of its howl.
Full ingredient list
|Required item||Primary ingredients||Component materials|
|Gift of Mastery||Bloodstone Shard||
|Obsidian Shard x250|
|Gift of Exploration|
|Gift of Battle|
|Gift of Fortune||Glob of Ectoplasm x250|
|Mystic Clover x77|
|Gift of Magic|
|Gift of Might|
|Gift of Howler 2||Icy Runestones x100||
|Superior Sigil of Accuracy|
|Gift of Wood 3|
|Wolf Statue 3|
- 1 Obsidian Shards are bought in multiples of three, costing three Laurels each. You would end up purchasing a total of 252 shards.
- 2 This item varies with each legendary.
- 3 These two Gifts change with each Legendary and require you to have characters that have mastered the respective crafting disciplines. The finished Gifts are Account Bound, which allows you to craft them on different characters.
- 4 Chance to get a precursor varies with rarity and level. 
- 5 There is an additional 96 charge for each Shard bought from the Priory Historian (Bandit Crest Collector)
The following prefixes can be selected:
- Howler originally featured unique day and night appearances, however, a game patch which was intended to remove an aura stacking exploit and some other nighttime bugs took away this effect.
- Howler might be heavily influenced by Norse mythology, in particular by Loki's children.
- The wolf might represent Fenrir, a very big and fierce wolf. The snake might represent Jormungand, the enormous World Serpent that surrounds the Earth, or Midgard, just like Howler's snake surrounds the horn. And Howler's connection to ghosts and spirits might be a reference to Hel, who takes care of a portion of the dead.