Equipment acquisition by stats
- This article is about acquiring gear with specific prefixes or rarity. For naming conventions used in the game, see Prefix.
This article lists various methods of acquiring equipment, organized by the attributes they provide. Attribute bonuses granted by equipment fall into certain patterns. The size of bonuses are determined by an item's type, required level, and rarity, while the precise effects are determined by an item's prefix.
- 1 Equipment categories
- 2 Acquisition methods
- Primary article: Ascended equipment
The highest bonuses are granted by equipment of ascended quality. All equipment that exists at this tier requires level 80. Furthermore, ascended equipment is generally account-bound, allowing the player to use the equipment on any character of the same account.
Instead of an ordinary upgrade slot, ascended trinkets have the stats that would normally be granted by an upgrade component "built in" to the basic item and instead have an enrichment slot in case of amulets, and infusion slot otherwise. Rings and back items can be further upgraded into infused or attuned equipment which has additional infusion slots. Ascended weapons and armor have upgrade slots like their exotic counterparts, but also have infusion slots.
Ascended weapons and armor may be crafted, acquired from certain achievements such as Specialization Collections, or very rarely received as drops.
Ascended trinkets may be acquired through certain achievements or from a variety of vendors:
- Unbound Magic - in combination with Blood Rubies, Petrified Wood, Fresh Winterberries, or Jade Shards can be used to purchase stat-selectable ascended rings, accessories, amulets, and backpieces of all possible attribute combinations. These trinkets are unique, meaning you cannot use two of the same ring or two of the same accessory. e.g. You cannot wear two Blood Ruby Bands, but you can wear a Blood Ruby Band with a Black Ice Band.
- Pristine Fractal Relics - can be used to purchase ascended rings with a variety of common Core attribute combinations, such as Berserker, Rabid, Cleric, and Celestial. These same rings can also rarely drop directly in fractals. These rings are unique, but there are two of each available attribute combination, e.g. Ring of Red Death and Crystalline Band
- Guild Commendations - can be used to purchase ascended accessories with the same attribute combinations as the fractal rings. These accessories may also be rarely awarded directly for completing guild missions. Like the fractal rings, these accessories are unique, but two of each available attribute combination exist.
- Laurels - can be used (either alone or in combination with Badges of Honor for a discount) to purchase amulets with the same attribute combinations as the fractal rings and guild mission accessories. Laurels may also be used to purchase fractal rings, or in combination with Globs of Ectoplasm to purchase guild mission accessories, but it is generally considered better value to buy them with relics and commendations.
- Magnetite Shards - can be used to purchase an assortment of stat-selectable trinkets from Scholar Glenna once you've killed a corresponding raid boss once on your account. These trinkets are generally divided into the categories Assaulter (direct-damage focused stats), Defender (defense focused), Malicious (condition focused), and Healer (healing focused). These trinkets are generally not unique. Magnetites may also be used to purchase the fractal rings, guild mission accessories, and laurel amulets, but this is not generally considered good value.
- Ascended Shards of Glory - can be used to purchase stat-selectable rings, accessories, and amulets of all possible attribute combinations. These trinkets are not unique.
- Primary article: Legendary equipment
Legendary equipment always has the highest possible attribute bonuses available, currently equal to those of ascended equipment. Legendary items allow changing of their attribute bonuses freely when out of combat and typically have a variety of special visual effects. Just like ascended equipment, all equipment at this tier requires level 80 and will not become soul-bound when used on a character but become account-bound instead.
Level 80 exotic equipment
Exotic equipment with a level requirement of 80 offers slightly lower stats (~5% difference) than ascended equipment but is more readily obtainable. The table below shows the available item types for each attribute combination and their general method of acquisition; see Acquisition methods for more details on each method.
Note that items acquired by crafting, the mystic forge, or as loot are generally not bound until equipped, and therefore can also be purchased from other players on the Trading Post. Items acquired through other methods are usually bound when acquired, and therefore cannot be traded with other players.
- crafting. See the Crafting section for more details. These items can be acquired by
- Mystic Forge. See Mystic Forge/Equipment for a list of equipment recipes available. Some of these items can be acquired in the
- Dungeon Armor and Weapons or acquired from dungeon PvP reward tracks. See the Dungeons section for more details. These items can be bought from
- karma vendors in Orr. See the Karma section for more details. These items can be bought from
- These items can be bought from Badge of Honor vendors in World versus World, Southsun Economists in Southsun Cove, and Guild Commendation traders. See the Other Merchants section for more details.
- monsters and opening chests. See the Loot section for more details. Some of these items can be obtained from defeating
- story missions. These items can be obtained as a reward for completing certain
- Other section for more details. Some of these items can be acquired through various other methods. See the
- ^ With the exception of breathing apparatuses and back items.
- ^ Though the exotic version of the Prototype Fractal Capacitors are level 80 exotic back items, they are not included in this table because they lack an upgrade slot, making them weaker than a lower-quality back item with an exotic jewel.
- ^ Jewels are used as upgrade components in trinkets; however, trinkets you buy or craft always have a jewel already slotted in.
- Primary article: Sigils
Sigils are specialized upgrade components that can only be placed in weapons. They do not follow the normal triple attribute distributions, but instead offer a variety of more specialized effects, generally related to chances on critical hit, upon weapon swap, or killing a foe. Due to their unique nature, they are covered on their own page; refer to pages on individual sigils for acquisition instructions.
The best known sigils are those whose names begin with "Superior", which are Exotic quality and have a level requirement of 60.
- Primary article: Runes
Runes are specialized upgrade components that can only be placed in armor. They do not follow the normal triple attribute distributions, but instead offer variable benefits depending on the number of runes of a particular type currently equipped, generally with attribute increases for the odd runes and more unusual effects for the even runes. Due to their unique nature, they are covered on their own page; refer to pages on individual runes for acquisition instructions.
The best known runes are those whose names begin with "Superior", which are Exotic quality and level requirement of 60.
Lower-Quality Back items
- Primary article: Back item
For some attribute combinations, neither ascended nor exotic back items exist, but other high-level options are available:
|Major||Minor||Prefix||Best Back Item||Quality||Source|
|Shaman's||Risen Spineguard||Rare||Loot (Arah, Fractals)|
- Primary article: Breathing apparatus
A breathing apparatus is a special piece of armor that replaces the helmet while underwater.
Universal upgrade components
Universal upgrade components are similar to jewels and follow the usual three or four attribute distributions, but can be placed into any type of equipment with an upgrade slot (whereas jewels can only be placed in trinkets). However, there are no Exotic universal upgrades; the best options are only Rare gemstones and crests and offer lower bonuses than exotic jewels.
Many players don't use universal upgrades, instead filling their upgrade slots with the more specific sigils, runes, and jewels. However, universal upgrades still offer some options that cannot be replicated by other means.
|Attribute Bonuses (1 Major Attribute, 1 Shared Major Attribute, 0 Minor Attribute)|
|Prefix||Upgrade Component||Condition Damage||Ferocity||Healing Power||Power||Precision||Toughness||Vitality||Concentration||Expertise|
|Assassin|| Opal Orb
Crest of the Assassin
|Shaman||Crest of the Shaman||0||0||1|
|Rabid||Crest of the Rabid||1||0||0|
|Magi||Crest of the Magi||1||0||0|
- ^ a b These are the primary acquisition methods; many recipes, insignias, inscriptions and jewels can also be bought from the Trading Post.
- ^ Some insignias, inscriptions and trinkets are craftable and require an activator to produce. Other insignias and inscriptions cannot be crafted but have a chance to be salvaged from equipment with the same attribute bonus, allowing players to craft other items with those attributes. Exotic Sentinel insignia and inscription are bought with Guild Commendations.
- ^ a b c d e f g h i j Recipes using this insignia or inscription require the "Oiled" variants of armor or weapon components crafted with Vials of Linseed Oil, such as Oiled Orichalcum Chestplate Padding or Oiled Ancient Staff Shaft, instead of the regular ones.
There are also several jeweler recipes that require a dungeon offering as a crafting ingredient, replacing the gemstone or jewel in the standard recipes. These recipes must be learned from a recipe sheet that only drops in the corresponding dungeon.
Most of these recipes provide attribute combinations that are otherwise unavailable from jeweler recipes. The only exception is Carrion, which is available as Chrysocola jewelry.
|Soldier's||Bloodstone Fragment||Arah||Nightmare Coil||Twilight Arbor||Shukov's Launch Codes||Sorrow's Embrace|
|Shaman's||The Zealot's Amulet||Honor of the Waves||Infinity Loop||Crucible of Eternity||Ashes of the Effigy||Citadel of Flame|
|Carrion||Eternal Flame||Citadel of Flame||Husk of the Destroyer||Sorrow's Embrace||Koda's Gift||Honor of the Waves|
|Rabid||Colossus Fang||Ascalonian Catacombs||Plague||Caudecus's Manor||Tortured Root||Twilight Arbor|
|Dire||Alpha Conduit||Crucible of Eternity||Ring of Blood||Honor of the Waves||Vallog's Demise||Caudecus's Manor|
|Magi||The Replicator||Sorrow's Embrace||Claw of the Howling King||Ascalonian Catacombs||Operative's Creed||Arah|
- Recipes are known for various weapons and trinkets.
- Combining four rare or exotic weapons may produce a random exotic weapon (with a chance of a Legendary precursor—Berserker's stats).
- The Mystic Forge is also used to produce Legendary weapons, which allow their owners to select the stat set of the weapon while out of combat.
- The Mystic Forge can also be used to change the stats of ascended weapons and armor using the original piece of ascended armor or weapon, 5 glob of ectoplasm, the exotic insignia or inscription with the desired stats, and an Anthology of Heroes purchased from Miyani or any Mystic Forge Attendant.
|Berserker's||Keeper Jonez Deadrun||Cathedral of Silence|
|Soldier's||Crusader Benson||The Narthex|
|Rampager's||Tactician Deathstrider||Cathedral of Glorious Victory|
|Rabid||Lightbringer Brutefur||Cathedral of Eternal Radiance|
|Cleric's||Historian Vermoth||Cathedral of Zephyrs|
|Magi||Lightbringer Surefoot||Cathedral of Verdance|
|Trinkets and back items|
|Soldier's||Keeper Jonez Deadrun||Cathedral of Silence|
|Cavalier's||Tactician Deathstrider||Cathedral of Glorious Victory|
|Nomad's||Sun Warming||Brakbrak Ice Snarl|
|Nomad's||Woomulla||Griffon Old Growth|
|Rabid||Historian Vermoth||Cathedral of Zephyrs|
|Sinister||Svanir Seer||The Svanir Hive|
|Magi||Lightbringer Brutefur||Cathedral of Eternal Radiance|
Completing a dungeon in explorable mode awards currencies that can be used to purchase weapons and armor from the Dungeon Armor and Weapons merchant. The merchant offers 3 attribute combinations, and sells all types of weapons and armor for each of those combinations.
| Honor of
| The Ruined|
City of Arah
Various merchants in the World versus World areas will sell level 80 exotic equipment for a combination of coin and Badges of Honor. Warning: nearby merchants also sell exotic equipment that is not max level. Check the stats carefully before purchasing.
- Weapons and armor are available with Berserker's, Knight's, Carrion, Rabid, Cleric's, or "Invaders" (Soldier's) prefixes from the Weapon Master and Armor Master.
- Amulets, rings, and accessories are available with an "Invaders" prefix (Soldier's stats) from the Armor Master. Note that unlike typical crafted jewelry, these do not come pre-equipped with jewels.
Exotic armor and weapons with the Settler's prefix are available in Southsun Cove from Southsun Economists. Note that Southsun Economists only sell level 80 exotics so long as all four settlements have been secured.
Exotic guild backpacks with Berserker's, Soldier's, or Magi's stats can be purchased from the Guild commendation trader for 5 + 5 .
A variety of items can be obtained from defeating monsters and opening chests. Certain items are more likely to appear in certain locations. The chances of receiving rare loot from monsters can be increased with magic find.
|Rampager's||Bow of the Pale Stag||Norgu's||Aidan's||Koss'||Eternal Ice, Symbol of the Inquest|
|Carrion||Legionnaire, Tribal, Rockweed Spire||Ogden's||Shiro's||Brutus & Sheena's||Spineguard of the North||Sentinel's Bane|
|Rabid||Khilbron's||Vatlaaw's||Galrath's||Burntclaw's Brace||Signet of Grenth|| Breath of Kralkatorrik, Rotbeard's Treasure,|
Bone Fragments of Tequatl
|Dire||Ceremonial, Orrian||Jatoro's||Errol's||Yakkington's||Ghost Eater's Hide||Connie's Lost Wedding Ring||Fang of Tequatl|
|Cleric's||Droknar's Recurve Bow, Droknar's Short Bow||Mhenlo's||Zho's||Rurik's|
|Ancient Karka Shell||Accessory||Celestial||Lionscout Tynuli for 1000 Karka Shells. Also as a reward during the Lost Shores meta-event.|
| Sclerite Karka Shell
Sclerite Karka Shell (ascended)
|Back item|| Settler's
| Reward for completing one of the The Secret of Southsun achievements. |
After upgrading in the Mystic Forge.
|Fused Gauntlets||Gauntlets||Sentinel's||Flame and Frost meta achievement.|
| Agent's Pack
|Back item||Celestial and most 3-stat options||Rewards for completing the associated Heart of Thorns collections|
|Mad King's armor||Armor set||Previously Traveler's||Pieces dropped during Shadow of the Mad King 2012, randomly or for completing certain events.|
| Aetherized Mantle
|Shoulder Armour||Cleric's||Reward for completing Not So Secret jumping puzzle during Sky Pirates of Tyria.|
|Mysterious Vine||Back item||Nomad's||Mysterious Vine is created by planting a Mysterious Seed into a Ley Line Infused Clay Pot.|
|Cultivated Vine||Back item||Celestial and most 3-stat options||Cultivated Vine is created by planting a Cultivated Seed into a Chaos Infused Clay Pot.|