Map completion is the optional activity of visiting all points of interest, vistas, waypoints and completing all renown hearts and hero challenges within a given open world zone. After a zone has been completed, the character receives a bonus chest reward and a mail pertaining to the accomplishment, except for the city maps.
Completing all zones within a certain area like Central Tyria, Heart of Maguuma, Elona, or Cantha is tied to specific achievements and rewards, mostly related to crafting legendary weapons. Additionally, completing all zones in the five regions of Central Tyria — Ascalon, Kryta, Shiverpeak Mountains, Maguuma Jungle, and Ruins of Orr grants world completion rewards and Been There, Done That achievement.
It is possible to complete most maps without uncovering all of their areas (those are tracked by the regional Explorer achievements); for example, finding most jumping puzzles in a zone is not required, since these are in secluded areas without any map objectives to discover. If area is completed while in an instance, such as a home instance, the accomplishment will display the next time the character re-enters the area. For zones with repeatable Renown Hearts, a single completion of the heart is sufficient to count for the map completion. The rewards for city maps are limited to the standard amount of experience and a single Transmutation Charge.
The legend at the top left corner of the map shows the remaining objectives for the world completion (in Central Tyria zones) and the completion of the current zone. Moving the mouse pointer over each entry in the legend will highlight the remaining objectives in the revealed areas, making them much easier to find. Hovering the mouse over the zone name will similarly display a popup with the zone's completion percentage and objectives.
Map and world completion information is individual for each character in the account. The Character selection screen displays the percentage world completion for each character. Both the world completion and zone completion for the current character are displayed using the world map ( key). These both include a progress bar displaying the percentage completed. Hovering the mouse over the zone name will display a popup with the zone's completion percentage, unless a new waypoint or point of interest was added since the last visit. These displays may include:
- Completed and total Renown Hearts
- Completed and total Waypoints
- Completed and total Points of Interest
- Completed and total Hero Challenges
- Completed and total Vistas
There are account-wide achievements related to map completion, which may be displayed in the Hero panel with the tab Achievements → General → Explorer. They are each worth a total of 25 ( ) Achievement Points.
Another account-wide achievement for world completion may be displayed in the Hero panel with the tab Achievements → General → Hero. it is worth a total of 20 ( ) Achievement Points and awards the title "Been there. Done that."
Rewards for completion of explorable zones scale up to the top level of that zone. For example, the map completion of Fireheart Rise can give rewards up to level 70. In addition, the rarity of the items received scale with the level of that zone, from Masterwork to Rare to Exotic.
- Coins (amount scales with the level of the area)
- Experience (10% of level at the time map was completed)
- 2 random pieces of equipment (approximate to level of the area)
- 40 random crafting materials, 40 Map Currency or 20 random ingredients available in the zone
- 1 Transmutation Charge or 1 Black Lion Chest Key (except for Southsun Cove).
The experience reward is based on the character's level at the time of map completion regardless of when the chest is opened.
- Reward rarity and tier per zone
- Southsun Cove
- Experience (10% of level at the time map was completed)
- 1 Transmutation Charge
World completion is tied to both account-wide Been There, Done That achievement and the Gifts of Exploration, items earned individually by each character. Gifts of Exploration are used for crafting the first generation legendary weapons.
World completion requires map-completing all the following zones:
- All six cities.
- The 25 explorable zones of Central Tyria, excluding Southsun Cove and zones in the Maguuma Wastes (Dry Top and The Silverwastes).
- The Chantry of Secrets instance.
The following areas do not count towards world completion:
- Hall of Monuments.
- World vs. World maps.
- Edge of the Mists and Obsidian Sanctum.
- Heart of the Mists and any Structured PvP areas.
- Explorable zones that were added after the release of the game, such as Southsun Cove, and the zones in the Maguuma Wastes.
- All maps in the Heart of Maguuma region, added with the Heart of Thorns expansion, including raids.
- Claw Island, as it is a story instance only.
- All maps added with Living World Season 3.
- All maps added with the Path of Fire expansion, including raids.
- All maps added with Living World Season 4.
- All maps added with The Icebrood Saga (Living World Season 5).
- All maps added with the End of Dragons expansion.
- All maps added with the Secrets of the Obscure expansion.
Upon completing the last map required for world completion, a world completion icon will pop up next to the chest icon. In addition to the regular rewards for completion of the last map, players will receive:
- 2 Gifts of Exploration (for full completion on one character)
- A gold star on the character's nameplate (only for the character that achieved full completion), viewable by other players
- Account-wide achievement Been There, Done That and the eponymous title.
Commonly missed areas
All of the locations listed here contain map completion objectives – see the related section on the Explorer article for commonly missed areas with no objectives that don't contribute towards map completion.
If an area has been missed on a map, that area will be marked on both the main screen and the minimap with . Both areas have a fog of war, and are associated with an indicator. For the mini-map: if the undiscovered area is outside the player's mini-map visibility, the indicator will show at the edge of the mini-map, in the required direction of travel. For the full screen map: the undiscovered area information is located in the top right of the screen, above the Story and tracked Achievements.
- Heart of Maguuma
Heart of Maguuma maps do not count for world completion, but map completion is needed for some achievements and crafting recipes.
Area objectives added since launch
If waypoints or points of interest have been added since you completed a map, you may need to revisit the maps and discover them to achieve world completion.
- During beta testing, the coin reward for fully exploring a city was comparable to completing an explorable area. After release, city completion rewarded 1 , but that was removed as part of the 25 September 2012 update.
- Map completion in WvW maps was removed as a world completion requirement with the March 16, 2015 update.
- This accomplishment was previously tracked by the Map Completion Medal on Account Medals (which have been removed) and is currently tracked by the Been There, Done That achievement and the World Completion progress bar when you view the map.
- Characters under level 80 became unable to earn keys from completing Living World Season 3, 4 and Icebrood Saga maps as part of the May 14, 2019 game update.
- Characters under level 80 became unable to earn keys from completing all level 80 maps as part of the May 25th, 2021 game update.