Map completion is the act of visiting all points of interest, vistas, waypoints and completing all renown hearts and hero challenges within a given zone. After a zone has been completed, a blue bonus chest will appear that the player can then open and receive a reward. In addition, the player will receive a mail pertaining to the accomplishment except for city maps. Completing all maps in Tyria is required for world completion.
You can complete most maps without uncovering all of its areas (those are tracked by the regional Explorer achievements); for example, you do not need to find most jumping puzzles, since these are in secluded areas without any map objectives to discover. If you complete the zone while in an instance, such as a home instance, the accomplishment will display the next time your character re-enters the area. The bonus chest can be reserved to be opened at a later time. The rewards for city maps are limited to the standard amount of experience and a single Transmutation Charge, since there is no risk to exploring them.
The legends at the top left corner of the map show the remaining points for world completion and completion of the current map. Moving the mouse pointer over each entry in the legend will make any revealed point or scout pointing to not yet revealed renown hearts flash on the map, making them much easier to find.
World completion information is maintained for each character in your account. The Character selection screen displays the percentage world completion for each character. Both the world completion and zone completion for the current character are displayed using the world map ( key). These both include a progress bar displaying the percentage completed. If you hover the mouse over the zone name. It will trigger a popup that displays the zone's completion track, unless a new waypoint or point of interest was added since your last visit. These displays may include:
- Completed and total Renown Hearts
- Completed and total Waypoints
- Completed and total Points of Interest
- Completed and total Hero Challenges
- Completed and total Vistas
There are account-wide achievements related to map completion, which may be displayed in the Hero panel with the tab Achievements > General > Explorer. They are each worth a total of 25 ( ) Achievement Points.
Another account-wide achievement for world completion may be displayed in the Hero panel with the tab Achievements > General > Hero. it is worth a total of 20 ( ) Achievement Points and awards the title "Been there. Done that."
|Plains of Ashford||1-15||1||Masterwork|
|Fields of Ruin||30-40||3|
|Straits of Devastation||70-75||5|
Rewards for completion of explorable zones scale up to the top level of that zone. For example, the map completion of Fireheart Rise can give rewards up to level 70. In addition, the rarity of the items received scale with the level of that zone, from Masterwork to Rare to Exotic.
- Coins (amount scales with the level of the area)
- Experience (10% of level at the time map was completed)
- 2 random pieces of equipment (approximate to level of the area)
- 1 Transmutation Charge or 1 Black Lion Chest Key (except for Southsun Cove).
- 40 random crafting materials, 40 Map Currency or 20 random ingredients available in the zone
- Experience (10% of level at the time map was completed)
- 1 Transmutation Charge
- The experience reward is determined based on your character's level at the time of map completion, regardless of when you open the chest.
World completion on the map
(Shows after reaching level 15)
World completion requires completing all the following maps:
- All six cities.
- The 25 explorable zones of Central Tyria, excluding Southsun Cove and zones in the Maguuma Wastes (Dry Top and The Silverwastes).
- The Chantry of Secrets.
The following areas do not count towards world completion:
- Hall of Monuments.
- Any of the original World vs. World maps
- Edge of the Mists and Obsidian Sanctum.
- Heart of the Mists and any Structured PvP areas.
- Explorable zones that were added after the release of the game, such as Southsun Cove, and the zones in the Maguuma Wastes.
- All maps in the Heart of Maguuma region, added with the Heart of Thorns expansion.
- Claw Island, as it is a story instance only.
- All maps added with Living World Season 3
- All maps added with the Path of Fire expansion.
Upon completing the last map required for world completion, a world completion icon will pop up next to the chest icon. In addition to the regular rewards for completion of the last map, players will receive:
- 2 Gifts of Exploration (for full completion on one character).
- A gold star on the character's nameplate (only for the character that achieved full completion), viewable by other players)
- The title Been There, Done That, available to all characters on the account, and the corresponding achievement (awarded for map completion counted account-wide)
World completion notes
- This accomplishment is tracked by the Map Completion Medal on Account Medals, the Been There, Done That achievement, and the World Completion progress bar when you view the map.
Commonly missed areas
All of the locations listed here contain map completion objectives - see the related section on the Explorer article for commonly missed areas with no objectives that don't contribute towards map completion.
- Heart of Maguuma
Heart of Maguuma maps do not count for world completion, but map completion is needed for some achievements and crafting recipes.
Area objectives added since launch
If waypoints or points of interest have been added since you completed a map, you may need to revisit the maps and discover them to achieve world completion.
- During beta testing, the coin reward for fully exploring a city was comparable to completing an explorable area. After release, city completion rewarded 1 , but that was removed as part of the 25 September 2012 update.
- Map completion in WvW maps was removed as a world completion requirement with the March 16, 2015 update.
- Visiting points of interest and waypoints during the personal story and during instanced events do not count towards the total map completion; they need to be uncovered outside of instances.
- Having map completion used to give the Map Completion Account Medal