A skin is a property of equipment that determines the appearance of the item. All equipment except trinkets have an appearance and therefore a corresponding skin. The skin type corresponds to the armor and weapon type the skin can be applied to.
A skin must be unlocked before it is available for use.
- Account bound items with a skin unlock the skin automatically upon acquisition.
- Non-account bound items automatically unlock their respective skin if they can no longer be sold on the trading post. This includes:
- Using a skin consumable
- Equipping or customizing equipment
- Right-clicking on the item and account binding it
- Destroying, salvaging, or Mystic Forging the item
- Once unlocked, a skin is potentially usable by every character on the account on other pieces of equipment through the wardrobe at the cost of a Transmutation Charge.
- Unlocked Skins can be freely applied to Legendary equipment. This will not consume the transmutation charge or skin consumable.
- All skins (both locked and unlocked) are visible in the Wardrobe Storage in the account vault.
- Skins can only be customized for equipment that the current character's profession can equip.
- Skins can only be applied to items with the same weapon types or weight class.
- Species-limited skins, such as Cultural armor, cannot be applied by a different species character. A character can reskin an item with a species-limited skin if the item is otherwise useable.
- For some armor skins, unlocking a skin of a particular armor class will unlock the versions for the other armor classes.
- PvP items were removed and unlocked skins with the April 15, 2014 game update.
- A skin also refers to the type of consumable item that modifies a piece of equipment. Using the item skin on an item consumes the item instead of a Transmutation Charge.