A critical hit, also known as a critical strike, critical, or crit, is a mechanic that multiplies the direct damage of an attack. The chance of a critical hit is determined by the precision attribute and any bonuses to critical chance such as from fury or from certain skills and traits. Critical hits deal 150% damage by default, and this multiplier, known as critical damage, can be increased by the ferocity attribute. Some effects trigger specifically after a critical strike, including some from traits, sigils, or runes as listed below. Critical hit damage is displayed in larger text than ordinary damage and is highlighted with a red splash.
Only direct damage, not Condition Damage, can be a critical hit.
The expected average damage output is determined by the following formula:
Average damage = Base damage * ( 1 - Critical Chance ) + Base damage * ( Critical Chance * Critical Damage )
Re-factored, this simplifies to:
Average damage = Base damage * ( 1 + Critical Chance * ( Critical Damage - 1 ) )
Example: given a critical chance of 25% and critical damage of 180%, average damage output is 20% greater than normal.
Average damage = base * ( 1 + 0.25 * ( 1.8 - 1 ) ) = base * ( 1 + 0.25 * 0.8 ) = base * 1.2
Skills that always critically hit
Transform skills that always critically hit
Healing skills that always critically hit
Utility skills that always critically hit
Utility skills that cannot critically hit
Traits that trigger upon critical hit
- Radiant Fire (Radiance) — Gain Zealot's Flame when you critically hit an enemy. Burning you inflict has increased duration, and your torch skills gain reduced recharge.
- Vigorous Precision (Honor) — Gain vigor when you critically strike.
- Empowering Might (Honor) — Grant might to nearby allies when you critically strike.
- Ambush Commander (Renegade) — When you critically strike, or attack your enemies from behind or their flanks, you'll inspire yourself with Kalla's fervor. Gain access to Citadel Order abilities.
- Endless Enmity (Renegade) — Grant fury to yourself and nearby allies when you critically strike a foe.
- Brutal Momentum (Renegade) — Gain increased critical-hit chance. This bonus is increased further while your endurance is full. Gain vigor when you gain fury.
- Forceful Greatsword (Strength) — Gain power and a chance to gain might on critical strike. Double these bonuses while wielding a greatsword or spear. Greatsword and spear skills recharge faster.
- Sundering Burst (Arms) — Burst skills inflict vulnerability if they hit and inflict additional vulnerability if the attack is a critical hit. Can only occur once per interval per target for multihit burst skills.
- Bloodlust (Arms) — You have a chance to inflict bleeding on critical hits, and bleeds that you apply last longer.
- Furious (Arms) — Critical hits grant bonus adrenaline and gain a stacking condition damage effect.
- Hardened Armor (Defense) — Gain resolution when you block or are struck by a critical hit. Strike damage taken is reduced by a percentage while you have resolution.
- Axe Mastery (Discipline) — Gain ferocity. Gain additional ferocity when wielding an axe. Axe skills gain reduced recharge and grant adrenaline when critically striking.
- King of Fires (Berserker) — Increase the duration of burning you apply. Gain fire aura when you critically hit an enemy. Berserker skills detonate fire aura, damaging and burning nearby foes.
- Sun and Moon Style (Spellbreaker) — Gain bonuses for each dagger you equip: Main hand—Strike damage is increased versus foes with no boons. Off Hand—Heal for a percent of your outgoing critical damage.
- Sharpshooter (Firearms) — Critical hits have a chance to cause bleeding.
- No Scope (Firearms) — Critical hits on foes within the range threshold have a chance to grant fury. Fury grants you ferocity.
- Incendiary Powder (Firearms) — Burning you inflict lasts longer, and your critical hits inflict burning.
- Bunker Down (Inventions) — Create a proximity mine and med kit at your location when you critically hit with an attack.
- Sharpened Edges (Skirmishing) — You and your pet have a chance to cause bleeding on critical hits.
- Potent Ally (Beastmastery) — You and your pet each grant might to the other when critically striking a foe.
- Pet's Prowess (Beastmastery) — Your pet moves faster and deals more damage on critical hits.
- No Quarter (Critical Strikes) — Landing a critical hit while under the effects of fury increases the duration of fury. Gain increased ferocity while under the effects of fury.
- Invigorating Precision (Critical Strikes) — You are healed for a percentage of outgoing critical-hit damage. This healing is increased while you are under the effects of fury.
- Burning Precision (Fire) — Burning you inflict has increased duration and your critical hits gain a chance to inflict burning.
- Raging Storm (Air) — Critically striking a foe grants fury. Gain ferocity while under the effects of fury.
- Fresh Air (Air) — Recharge air attunement on a critical hit. Gain a ferocity boost when attuning to air.
- Arcane Precision (Arcane) — Your critical strikes have a chance to inflict a condition based on your attunement.
- Renewing Stamina (Arcane) — Gain vigor when you critically strike a foe.
- Critical Infusion (Dueling) — Gain vigor when delivering a critical hit.
- Sharper Images (Dueling) — Illusions inflict bleeding on critical hits.
- Barbed Precision (Curses) — Critical hits have a chance to cause bleeding. Increases bleed duration.
- Weakening Shroud (Curses) — Cast Lesser Enfeeble when entering shroud. Critical hits inflict weakness.
- Chilling Nova (Reaper) — Critical hits against chilled foes cause an explosion that chills adjacent foes.
Traits that cannot score critical hits
- Loss Aversion (Spellbreaker) — Removing boons from a foe deals damage and gives you adrenaline.
- Mug (Deadly Arts) — Deal damage and gain life when stealing. This attack cannot critically hit enemies.
- Earthen Blast (Earth) — Damage and cripple nearby foes when attuning to earth. Also triggers on overload skills.
- Power Block (Domination) — Interrupts deal damage and inflict weakness. Enemy skills that you interrupt have an increased cooldown. Cannot increase recharge of skills with no recharge or skills on creatures with defiance bars. This trait can only damage enemies with defiance bars once per interval.
Trait skills that cannot score critical hits
- Glacial Heart (Glacial Heart) — Unleash a blast of ice that chills foes.
- Mystic Rebuke (Shattered Aegis) — Lash out against nearby foes.
- Vent Exhaust (Thermal Release Valve) — Damage nearby foes and apply conditions to them. Lose heat. This attack activates Heat Therapy if you have not overheated.
- Pulmonary Impact (Impacting Disruption) — Physical. Cause a rupture that deals massive damage when this skill ends. This ability cannot critically hit.
- Sunspot (Sunspot) — Gain a fire aura and damage nearby foes.
- Lesser Enfeeble (Weakening Shroud) — Bleed and weaken nearby foes.
- Lesser Spinal Shivers (Chill of Death) — Chill your target and remove up to three boons, dealing extra damage based on the number of boons removed.
- Spiteful Spirit (Spiteful Spirit) — Cripple nearby foes and convert their boons into conditions. Gain resolution for each foe you strike. Converts additional boons on foes below the health threshold.
- Chilling Nova (Chilling Nova) — Create a nova at the target that damages and chills nearby foes.
Traits that trigger when critically hit
- Hardened Armor — Gain resolution when you block or are struck by a critical hit. Strike damage taken is reduced by a percentage while you have resolution.
- Soothing Ice — Gain regeneration and frost aura when critically hit.
Traits that nullify critical hits on yourself
- Stone Heart — You cannot be critically hit for a duration of time after entering or exiting earth attunement. Remaining effect duration is lost when exiting.
Related upgrade components
Upgrade components that trigger effects on critical hits
- Sigil of Air — cause a Lightning Strike (Sigil)
- Sigil of Blood — cause life stealing
- Sigil of Earth — cause Bleeding
- Sigil of Fire — cause a Flame Blast for AoE Damage
- Sigil of Generosity — transfer a condition
- Sigil of Strength — gain Might
- Superior Sigil of Blight — cause an area Poisoned attack
- Superior Sigil of Rage — gain Quickness
- Superior Sigil of Torment — apply AoE torment
- Superior Sigil of Water — heal allies around you
Average damage increase
The table below shows the average increase in damage from critical hits based on the chance to hit critically (rows) and the bonus Critical Damage from that attribute (columns). For example: if your critical chance is 20% and your critical damage is 155%, the 1.110 means that, over time, you will end up doing 11% more damage than if both attributes were zero.
|Critical Damage →
Critical Chance ↓
When a character hits a foe with a critical hit, they will occasionally shout out one of the following lines, depending on their race and gender.
|Asura||I've beaten you, but you don't know it yet.
For the record: you've been struck!
|How does that feel? Excruciating?|
I've got a lesson to teach you.
|Charr||Oh, that had to hurt.||Feel the pain!|
Did that hurt?
|Human||There's one to remember me by.
Oh, that had to hurt.
|Hurts, doesn't it?|
You'll be feeling that one for days.
|Norn||HAH! Extra damage!|
|Sylvari||Take that!||Give up yet?|
- As stated above, Condition Damage cannot critically strike.
- Consequently, condition damage gains no benefit from precision or critical damage modifiers.
- A character's chance of critical cannot become higher than 100%.