Revival is the process of bringing a player or NPC back from downed or defeated state. Any character can revive another by using the context-sensitive action (default key ) while next to the applicable target. Some NPCs will revive other NPCs and (occasionally) players. The more characters that assist, the faster the revival process completes.
- Reviving a downed target gives 3% of total health every 0.2 seconds, for a total of 15% per second. It takes 2-7 seconds to revive a downed target based on its initial health.
- Reviving a defeated target gives 1% of total health every 0.2 seconds, for a total of 5% per second. It takes 20 seconds to revive a defeated target.
- Revival ticks equally fast when in combat. However when reviving defeated targets, the amount of health given is halved. It takes 40 seconds to revive a defeated target when in combat.
- Revived targets get back with 50% of their maximum health and become invulnerable for one second.
- "Revive speed" attribute increases the healing done by ticks. "Revive speed" stacks additively. When healing defeated targets in combat, the effect is doubled.
- Healing Power has no effect on revival.
- "Health boost after revival" is based on the maximum health. For example reviving a downed target with 30% more health actually means the target gets up with 80% health. This is affected by WvW healing boost.
- Characters and NPCs requiring revival can be identified as follows:
- Poisoned and Agony's healing reduction is effective on downed allies, making it take longer to revive them. They can also cause revival skills to not fully revive an ally.
- Environmental hazards like Lava or Venom may completely negate the efforts of one player to revive the downed or defeated ally. Such allies need to be revived by two or more players at once.
Skills that revive allies can only revive them from Downed state, not Defeated state. NPCs that respond to normal revival (via interacting) can always be revived by these skills; ones that don't are not intended to be revived, but will occasionally respond to a revival skill anyway.
Skills that revive
- Merciful Intervention — Meditation
- "Search and Rescue!" — Command
- Shadow Refuge — Deception
- Signet of Water — Signet
- Downed skills
Skills that instantly revive
- Signet of Mercy — Signet
- Glyph of Renewal — Glyph
- Illusion of Life — Manipulation, temporary (permanent if ally defeats opponent)
- Signet of Undeath — Signet
Traits that improve reviving
- Protective Reviver (Honor) — Cast Lesser Shield of Absorption when you begin reviving an ally. Shield of Absorption revives allies when it detonates.
- Merciful Ambush (Shadow Arts) — When you apply stealth to an ally, they heal and revive over a short duration. Stealth yourself and your target when reviving an ally.
- Medic's Feedback (Inspiration) — Cast Feedback while reviving an ally. Feedback revives allies inside its dome.
- Ritual of Life (Blood Magic) — Cast Lesser Well of Blood when reviving an ally. Wells of Blood revive allies every pulse.
- Life from Death (Blood Magic) — Heal and partially revive allies in an area when you exit shroud.
- Transfusion (Blood Magic) — Shroud skill 4 heals and partially revives nearby allies. Up to five nearby downed allies are teleported to you upon using shroud skill 4.
Traits that revive
- Function Gyro (Scrapper) — You gain access to the function gyro, which replaces your tool belt skill 5. Gain access to Gyro  skills.
- Allies' Aid (Nature Magic) — Cast "Search and Rescue!" when you begin reviving an ally.
- Arcane Resurrection (Arcane) — Cast Geyser when you begin reviving a downed ally. Geyser now partially revives downed allies. When you begin reviving an ally, you gain an aura based on your attunement.
- Rune of Mercy
- Revive Orb — double-click to revive yourself from the defeated state
- Community: No One Left Behind — Revive 1,000 players. (25 )
- A Bug in the System: Redeeming IG-6417 — Upload recordings to teach IG-6417 how to be heroic (5)
- War Eternal: Skyscale of Life — Infuse your skyscale egg with life. (1)
- You gain a small amount of experience by reviving allies. Certain achievements are tied to reviving allies.
- Quickness or Slow don't affect revival speed.
- Outgoing healing modifiers affect the revival percentage of skills, but does not increase the speed of the normal method of revival.
- The contextual revive is considered a skill for most intents and purposes. Because of this:
- Reviving 1000 allies grants the No One Left Behind achievement which in turn gives the Combat Healer title.
- Reviving NPCs counts towards this achievement.
- Channeling a revive skill (including the contextual revive) will increase the aggression value of some creatures against the character activating the skills, which will in turn increase the chances of the reviving character being attacked by those creatures; stopping or completing the activation will in turn decrease aggression in the same amount.
- When a character is successfully revived, they will occasionally shout one of the following lines depending on race and gender:
|Asura||I was getting tired of lying around
It's about time!
Guess who's back. It's me, by the way.
|I don't think well on the ground! |
I'm too smart to keep down.
I'm back, and brilliant.
|Charr||Glad you could help.
You can't keep a good charr down.
|I can fight again! Thanks! |
Lucky you came along!
|Human||Thanks for the help.
You can't keep a good man down.
|I was in some deep trouble there. |
Rejoining the fight.
Get me on my feet.
I will remember this.
|They can't keep me down! |
Let's get to it.
|Sylvari||Oh, thank you.
I owe you my life.
I nearly died. Thanks.
|I'm up... I'm up. |
Here I come!
Back in the battle.
- Death and resurrection in the original Guild Wars were renamed to "defeat" and "revival" to match lore, as resurrections are no longer possible as easily as 250 years ago before the Human Gods ceased their direct interaction with Tyria. Because of this, defeated players are never considered to be dead in lore.
- There are some remnants of the old terms still in the game. Examples of this are the /deaths command and the [Resurrect] effect that appears in the combat log when players use the context-sensitive revive action.
- The Replica Job-o-Tron Backpack may randomly speak lines when reviving allies.