Back items are a category of equipment and type of gear, sharing characteristics of both trinkets and armor. Grouped with trinket slots in the Hero Panel, they provide the lowest magnitude of attribute bonuses out of all equipment types, only 65% of an equivalent (same level and rarity) boot, glove, or shoulder armor, the next-lowest equipment types, or 12% of an equivalent two-handed weapon. However, unlike trinkets, back items can be damaged or broken and must be repaired. They can be transmuted in the wardrobe, although some have no default skin and they can accept jewels as well as universal upgrades, and Ascended versions can be infused.
Unlike most other equipment types, back items are not widely available as loot or on the Trading Post. However, back items may be acquired from various vendors, as personal story and Living World story rewards, from using the Mystic Forge, and through crafting disciplines (starting at level 1).
Excluding PvP Reward Track back items and Exotic rarity back items obtained from dungeons, all back items obtained as loot can be sold on the Trading Post.
All dungeon have two types of back items, both types having predefined prefixes, that can be obtained as drop from explorable mode: a Masterwork or Rare rarity back item with the level of the back item will be the same as the level the same as the dungeon's path or a level 80 Exotic back item.
|Ascalonian Catacombs||Ghostly Spineguard||Masterwork||351|
|Ghost Eater's Hide||Exotic||80|
|Caudecus's Manor||Bandit Spineguard||Masterwork
|Spineguard of the North||Exotic||80|
|Twilight Arbor||Forest Brace||Masterwork
|Citadel of Flame||Charred Back Warmer||Masterwork
|Crucible of Eternity||Fiber Splice||Masterwork
|The Ruined City of Arah||Risen Spineguard||Masterwork
|Fractals of the Mists||Spineguard||Various||Various|
- 1 Higher level variants can be obtained via the open world meta The Frozen Maw's final event rewards.
- A Level 65 Rare back item featuring the current Zodiac animal can be obtained from various types of Lucky Envelopes.
- Currently it is the year of the Boar: Lucky Boar Lantern
- Universal Multitool Pack - Selecting the "Universal Multitool Pack" biography option during character creation as an Engineer.
- For reaching level 25 on a character, a Level 0 Masterwork Backpack Straps of Preparation is awarded.
- One of the following Soulbound Level 80 Rare back items with predefined prefixes can be obtained from completing the personal story quests Armor Guard, Conscript the Dead Ships, or Air Drop:
- One of the following Soulbound Level 80 Rare back items, of which allow for stat selection, can be obtained from completing the Heart of Thorns story step Prisoners of the Dragon:
- Completing the Path of Fire story step Blazing a Trail awards Zalambur's Welcoming Package, of which will have one of the following Account bound Level 80 Exotic back items with predefined prefixes based on the character's choices to side with Palawa Joko, the Order of the Sunspears, or allow the Free City of Amnoon to remain independent during the meeting with the councilwoman:
- For purchasable Living World Season 3 & 4, as well as Raid back items, see: Ascended back item#Vendor
- Festival Token
- Fractal Relics
|Prototype Fractal Capacitor||BUY-4373||Mistlock Observatory
|Fractals of the Mists
- Guild Commendations
- PvP League Tickets
- WvW Skirmish Claim Tickets
- For Ascended back items gained by Achievements, see: Ascended back item#Achievements
Excluding the Branded Backpiece, all achievement obtained back items allow for stat selection.
- Completing The Dragon's Reach: Part 1 and The Dragon's Reach: Part 2 from Living World Season 2 will award items that are part of a scavenger hunt to make the Ascended back item Mawdrey. As part of that scavenger hunt, the following two Exotic back items can be obtained:
- Mysterious Vine - scavenger hunt items are obtained via either completing the story steps The Waypoint Conundrum, Summit Invitations, and Plan of Attack or from buying the items from Azarr Softhoof at the Oasis in Dry Top for 4 each and it comes with Nomad stats.
- Cultivated Vine - scavenger hunt items are obtained completing the story steps Party Politics, Recalibrating the Waypoints, and The World Summit and it allows for stat selection.
- Consuming a Level-80 Boost will give players Level-80 Equipment Package which will award one of the three following back items based on the class of the character:
All crafted back items allow for stat selection, and ones made via a crafting station or with Blade Shards are Account Bound. The following is a list of all craftable, non-Ascended back items that are available. For Ascended craftable back items, go here or use the list of Mystic Forge recipes.
|Craftable Back Items|
The only craftable back items that do not require a crafting discipline to make are as follows:
|Spinal Blade Pack||Fine||Mystic Forge||0|
|Twin Spinal Blades||Masterwork||Mystic Forge||0|
|Quad Spinal Blades||Rare||Mystic Forge||0|
|Lucky Monkey Lantern||Rare||Mystic Forge||0|
|Lucky Ram Lantern||Rare||Mystic Forge||0|
|Lucky Rooster Lantern||Rare||Mystic Forge||0|
|Advanced Spinal Blades||Exotic||Mystic Forge||0|
|Lucky Great Monkey Lantern||Exotic||Mystic Forge||0|
|Lucky Great Ram Lantern||Exotic||Mystic Forge||0|
|Lucky Great Rooster Lantern||Exotic||Mystic Forge||0|
|Lucky Great Dog Lantern||Exotic||Mystic Forge||0|
|Lucky Great Boar Lantern||Exotic||Mystic Forge||0|
List of back items
- See also: Gallery of back items
List of back item consumable skins
The following is a list of back item consumable skins that can be applied to back items:
- The Prototype Fractal Capacitor and Sclerite Karka Shell are the only Exotic back items that can be upgraded to Ascended in the Mystic Forge.
- Before the 2013-02-26 game update, back items had an empty line instead of the "Back Item" entry in their descriptions.
- Due to a bugged Wintersday Chest during Wintersday: The Wondrous Workshop of Toymaker Tixx, players received the Toymaker Tixx's Gift in the mail which contained Toymaker's Bag.
- Originally, the Level 33 personal story steps Down the Hatch, Killer Instinct, and Bad Blood rewarded a choice of either a Enduring Back Brace, Hearty Back Brace or Strong Back Brace. They were removed as a reward option as part of the September 2014 Feature Pack.