Day and night
In most areas of the game, day and night alternate according to the day-night cycle, sometimes referred to in-game as Tyrian Time. Any zone or instance that does not follow the cycle will be permanently frozen at a particular time. The day-night mechanic is intended as an element of realism in the game; for example, the day-night cycle mimics the passage of real time, and the night state of many underground dungeons reflects the darker feeling of those locations.
A single day-night cycle lasts for 2 hours in real time, though in-universe it is considered to take 24 hours. Thus, one hour of Tyrian Time corresponds to five minutes of real time, and one minute of Tyrian Time corresponds to five seconds of real time. The cycle is split into four stages:
|Stage||Length (real time)||Tyrian Time|
|Stage||Length (real time)||Tyrian Time|
For the purposes of mechanics that can't transition smoothly between day and night behaviors, dawn is usually considered night and dusk is considered day. Food and Fishing are exceptions: Food will treat dawn as day and dusk as night, and Fishing will treat dawn and dusk as both day and night at the same time.
All zones obeying the day-night cycle are synchronized to the same schedule. Tyrian Time may be tracked via the in-game clock, which can be turned on via the Options panel; alternatively it can be checked via the chat command
/time. Note that this can only be checked within zones with the day-night cycle active, as zones not on the cycle will permanently display the time they are frozen at.
List of locations with day-night cycle
- All cities and almost all explorable zones in the open world.
- Bitterfrost Frontier is only partially on the cycle. It progresses at the normal rate until 21:00 Tyrian Time, and will remain frozen there until all Jormag's Champions are killed as part of the Beacons of Koda meta event. Once all are dead, it skips ahead to 05:00 and resumes progressing as normal. Consequently, Bitterfrost's cycle is not synchronized with the rest of Tyria.
- Draconis Mons is fixed to 09:00 tyrian time at all times.
- Instances accessible via the open world, notably:
- Eye of the North
- Guild Halls
- Heart of the Mists
- Most World versus World zones:
List of zones not on cycle
|Citadel of Flame||Night||22:00|
|Honor of the Waves||Day||07:00|
|Crucible of Eternity (story mode)||Day||12:00|
|Crucible of Eternity (explorable mode)||Night||22:00|
|The Ruined City of Arah||Day||07:00|
|Stronghold of the Faithful||Day||07:00|
|Bastion of the Penitent||Day||12:00|
|Hall of Chains||Day||07:00|
|The Key of Ahdashim||Day||07:00|
|Voice and Claw of the Fallen||Day||12:00|
|Fraenir of Jormag||Day||12:00|
|Whisper of Jormag||Dusk||20:00|
|Fractals of the Mists|
|Aquatic Ruins Fractal||Day||12:00|
|Captain Mai Trin Boss Fractal||Day||12:00|
|Molten Boss Fractal||Day||12:00|
|Molten Furnace Fractal||Day||12:00|
|Shattered Observatory Fractal (normal mode)||Day||12:00|
|Shattered Observatory Fractal (challenge mode)||Both||??|
|Siren's Reef Fractal||Day||12:00|
|Solid Ocean Fractal||Night||22:00|
|Sunqua Peak Fractal||Day||12:00|
|Thaumanova Reactor Fractal||Day||12:00|
|Twilight Oasis Fractal||Night||00:00|
|Underground Facility Fractal||Night||22:00|
|Urban Battleground Fractal||Day||12:00|
|Battle of Champion's Dusk||Night||22:00|
|Battle of Kyhlo||Night||22:00|
|Forest of Niflhel||Night||22:00|
|Hall of the Mists||Night||22:00|
|Legacy of the Foefire||Day||12:00|
|Revenge of the Capricorn||Night||22:00|
|Temple of the Silent Storm||Night||22:00|
|Bitterfrost Frontier (during the storm; see above)||Night||21:00|
|Edge of the Mists||Day||07:00|
|Lion's Arch (only during Halloween)||Night||00:00|
|Mad King's Realm||Night||02:00|
|Personal story instances||Varies||Varies|
|The Nightmare Incarnate||Night||01:00|
|The Twisted Marionette||Night||00:00|
|Thousand Seas Pavilion||Day||12:00|
Game elements affected by day-night state
Dynamic events, NPCs, and enemies
- Each major city will play a sound every 5 minutes, and a tune from the Guild Wars 2 soundtrack every 2 hours at dawn:
- In Lion's Arch, the Phoenix Roost Lighthouse plays an excerpt from Overture.
- In the Black Citadel, gongs will play a bit from The Charr Triumphant.
- In Divinity's Reach, a tune from Heritage of Humanity will play from the orrery at Central Plaza.
- In Hoelbrak, a giant warhorn will resonate through the whole stead slowly playing the first notes of The Saga of the Norn. The warhorn can also be heard from outside Hoelbrak when standing close to the entrance in Wayfarer Foothills.
- In Rata Sum, the golems through the city will play a morning alarm to the tune of Snaff's Workshop and say "Good morning" three times.
- In The Grove, the flowers and reeds hanging from a twisting branch at Upper Commons will act as wind chimes to play a fragment of Fear Not This Night.
- Shaemoor Cemetery will have a Priest of Grenth investigating a restless spirit in the day, who appears as the Lady in White at night. Bats are also found in the cemetery only at night.
- Lion's Arch Exterminator achievement requires going into the Lion's Shadow Bed and Breakfast, which is only open at dawn, dusk, and night.
- Verdant Brink's meta events focus on building defenses by day and defending against attacks at night.
- Bloodstone Fen is swarming with White Mantle during the day, but spirits (mostly) come out to attack at night.
- Ghosts haunt Lake Doric at night, triggering two events (1 and 2) and allowing access to a hidden achievement and a hungry cat.
- The two hungry kittens in The Grove will only accept food during certain times of day. The black kitten will accept food during the day (not dusk), and the white kitten will accept food at night (not dawn).
- The Sunspear assault on Palawadan starts always at dusk.
- The four meta events of Grothmar Valley begin at specific times of the day: the expedition into Doomlore Shrine sets off at 8am; the Ooze Pit Trials start at 2pm; the concert begins at dusk; and the effigy burning takes place at 2am.
Sigil of the Night
- Primary article: Sigil of the Night
Sigils of the Night are weapon sigils that increase outgoing damage during the night state.
|Sigil of the Night||Rarity||Level||Bonus|
|Minor Sigil of the Night||Masterwork||20||Outgoing damage is increased by 1% with an additional 3% at night.|
|Major Sigil of the Night||Rare||40||Outgoing damage is increased by 2% with an additional 5% at night.|
|Superior Sigil of the Night||Exotic||60||Outgoing damage is increased by 3% with an additional 7% at night.|
- Primary article: Fishing
Some fish can only be caught during specific times of day.
Daytime/Nighttime Fish can still be caught during Dusk/Dawn Time Periods.
- Primary article: Food
The following foods confer different bonuses depending on whether it is day or night. Dawn is considered day and dusk is considered night for the purposes of this mechanic.
|10||30m||Chili Pepper Popper||Day: 8% Chance to gain might on crit|
|20||30m||Bowl of Fancy Bean Chili||+20 Ferocity|
Day: 8% Chance to cause Burning on Critical Hit
Night: 8% Chance to Steal Life on Critical Hit
|20||30m||Stuffed Pepper||Day: 16% Chance to gain might on crit|
|30||30m||Stuffed Zucchini||Day: 24% Chance to gain might on crit|
Night: 24% Chance to cause chill on crit
|35||30m||Bowl of Zucchini Chili||+30 Ferocity|
Day: 12% Chance to cause Burning on Critical Hit
Night: 12% Chance to Steal Life on Critical Hit
|46||60m||Bowl of Degun Shun Stew||+30 Ferocity|
Day: 12% Chance to Burn on Critical Hit
Night: 12% Chance to Steal Life on Critical Hit
+10% Experience from Kills
|50||30m||Bowl of Hummus||Day: 28% Chance to gain might on crit|
Night: 28% Chance to cause chill on crit
|50||30m||Bowl of Spiced Veggie Chili||+20 Ferocity|
Day: 14% Chance to cause Burning on Critical Hit
Night: 14% Chance to Steal Life on Critical Hit
|65||30m||Roasted Artichoke||Day: 36% Chance to gain might on crit|
Night: 36% Chance to cause chill on crit
|70||30m||Bowl of Spicy Veggie Chili||+40 Ferocity|
Day: 18% Chance to cause Burning on Critical Hit
Night: 18% Chance to Steal Life on Critical Hit
|80||30m||Ghost Pepper Popper||Day: 40% Chance to gain might on crit|
Night: 40% Chance to cause chill on crit
|80||30m||Bowl of Fire Veggie Chili||+50 Ferocity|
Day: 20% Chance to cause Burning on Critical Hit
Night: 20% Chance to Steal Life on Critical Hit
Cosmetics affected by day-night state
The following mount skins have different appearances during day and night states:
The following weapons have different appearances during day and night states:
- Primary article: Physical appearance/Sylvari
Sylvari will glow when in the night state. This glow appears gradually during dusk, and disappears gradually during dawn. For playable characters, the color and intensity of the glow is set during character creation.
- Primary article: Customized soundtrack
For players who customize their in-game music, many explorable zones that use the default Ambient playlist during the day state will switch to the NightTime playlist in the night state.
- Though the day-night cycle has been present in the game since launch, "Tyrian Time" was not introduced until September 2019, when it was added as part of Prologue: Bound by Blood. Tyrian Time was added as an option to the in-game clock as part of the October 1, 2019 update.
- Kraitkin, the legendary trident, was originally assumed to have a different appearance at night, as its eels would become petrified and emit a faint but noticeable light-green glow, along with an aura of bubbles that would appear around the whole trident. This was eventually removed, and later confirmed to be a bug.