Bastion of the Penitent
The cataclysmic explosion at Bloodstone Fen opened a mysterious portal, and Priory Scholar Glenna has gone to to investigate. Follow her through to explore a forsaken place…and hope that your chances of escaping it are better than those of its former inhabitants.
Bastion of the Penitent
- 1 Getting there
- 2 Locations
- 3 Interactive map
- 4 Objectives
- 5 Walkthrough
- 5.1 Cairn the Indomitable
- 5.2 Mursaat Overseer
- 5.3 Samarog
- 5.4 Deimos
- 6 NPCs
- 7 Objects
- 8 Dialogue
- 9 Gallery
- 10 Notes
- 11 Trivia
- 12 See also
- 13 References
- The portal for entering the raid Bastion of the Penitent is located just west of Depths of the Maw Waypoint in Bloodstone Fen. The in-game map shows an icon for the portal. Players must be in a raid squad of up to 10 players prior to entering the portal.
- Using the portal in Lion's Arch Aerodrome. You must join a raid Squad before you can enter the portal.
- Speak With Glenna.
- Follow Glenna.
- Defeat Cairn the Indomitable
- Defeat Mursaat Overseer
- Defeat Samarog
- Free the prisoner from his bonds
WalkthroughCelestial Dash. This mobility skill has a very similar speed and animation to the Druid's Ancestral Grace. Shortly afterwards, glide over to a circular platform where Cairn the Indomitable awaits.
OverviewCairn, players will be afflicted with Unseen Burden, an effect that gains a stack every second. Unseen Burden slows player movement by 1% for each stack, and briefly petrifies them if they reach 99 stacks. As the fight progresses, normal movement will become almost completely ineffective. However dodges, mobility skills and the Celestial Dash special skill are unhindered; use these to keep out of danger during the fight.
Cairn's auto-attack, Impact, is to swing with its right arm followed by its left arm in a two-part arc towards the furthest player. Cairn will usually follow up with a Meteor Swarm by swinging its left hand back, throwing a spiraling fan of 9 bloodstone projectiles over a 120° arc at the furthest player; these projectiles will travel to the edge of the platform and knock players back for a short distance.
Every 4 seconds, Cairn will create 3 circles of swirling energy next to it. Once fully charged, players inside will suffer Displacement and be teleported anywhere in the arena within a 1000 unit radius (similar to the Vale Guardian's Unstable Magic Spike/blue circles). The teleport combined with the knockback of Meteor Swarm can easily knock players off the platform, instantly defeating them. Players in melee range of Cairn should make sure they stay off of the circles, and anyone hit should use mobility skills and dodges to get away from the arena's edges. The bloodstone cloud projectiles can also be converted, destroyed, or reflected.
Starting at 7:37 and every 20 seconds after that, the furthest player that does not already have it will gain the Shared Agony debuff, taking damage over time and creating a red AoE effect around themselves which deals damage to nearby allies. There can be at most 3 players with the debuff, and once a 4th player gains the debuff, the person who has the debuff the longest loses theirs. Afflicted players should try to stay close to healers, while keeping a small distance.
Cairn can also charge up and release a devastating Spatial Manipulation attack, damaging and lifting players up into the air while adding 25 stacks of Unseen Burden. To avoid this, green circles will form around the arena which can protect players inside from the attack. Successfully using a green circle will also help players by instead removing 25 stacks of Unseen Burden. There are 3 general patterns of green circles:
- Numbered in Set Positions - Each green circle is in a fixed position and has a number of stars above it (1, 1, 2, 2, 4). The number of stars corresponds to the minimum number of players required to be in the circle such that its protection takes effect. Certain circles will stop spawning depending on which 25% of its health the boss is at. Generally, the majority of players should head for the biggest circle while anyone cursed with Shared Agony can take a small circle for themselves.
- Hopping - Cairn will teleport around the arena and spawn a green circle under him after every hop before teleporting to the center. It will knockback any player that it teleports through (which may include existing green circles). Above 50%, Cairn will also spawn a guaranteed circle when he lands at the center.
- Sword - Green circles will spawn around the arena after Cairn completes its Orbital Sweep attack; there is no minimum on the number of players in a given circle.
- Here are some helpful images to indicate the patterns of green circles:
Other attacks to watch out for include Cairn extending its arm into a sword blade, and shortly afterwards doing an Orbital Sweep around the arena; the position of the sword depends on the 25% of health the boss is at, starting from the south and moving counter-clockwise 90°. It can also release Gravity Wave, a black tide of energy that pushes players back towards the arena edges. Players next to Cairn in the middle will be unaffected, but caught players should attempt to dodge back towards the center.
Challenge MoteIn addition to the above mechanics, players must use Celestial Dash once every 10 seconds, or else the skill will automatically activate for the maximum range in the direction the player is facing. The timer for doing this is denoted by an effect called Countdown.
After defeating Cairn, the miasma below the arena will clear and players are free to walk into the bastion proper. In Death Row, there is a pile of rubble next to the wall with a broken shovel nearby. Heading west will allow you to find a shovel on the ground, and using that on the rubble will open the way into a courtyard , the Recreation Sector that the next encounter takes place in.
The fight takes place on a 'game board', with half the space as brown 'friendly' tiles and the other half as orange 'enemy' tiles, which damage players stepping on them. There are three pillars of light on the friendly side of the arena; once three separate players interact with them, the fight begins.
The Mursaat Overseer itself is a statue game piece, which simply fixates on the player who took Claim and follows them around. Players will have to deal with the room's various hazards while destroying it.
The most dangerous mechanic is the spike floor. Patches of the floor will glow slightly with small green spikes. After a delay huge spears will come out, instantly defeating anyone inside (with no downed state). The spikes cannot be avoided by conventional means; the only exception is the Protect skill. These traps follow a sequence of different arrangements, which become more difficult as the boss loses health, with every 25% health threshold changing the pattern.
On the enemy side of the board, four Jade Scouts (smaller game pieces, or 'pawns') will appear and start moving down across the arena. Occasionally they may also gain an orange shield that makes them invulnerable, until it is removed by Dispel. Tiles that they move over become orange, damaging players that stay on them. Bringing their health to 0 will stop them temporarily, but they will regenerate to full health and start moving to the other side of the board again.
In addition, the Jade Scouts will transform into active threats upon reaching the other side of the board. Jade Soldiers will follow and attack the party, deal constant AoE damage around themselves, and will explode on death for high damage. They will still claim tiles and gain shields. Once a Soldier is defeated, a Scout will replace it on the far side of the room and begin moving across after some time.
To help survive the encounter, the players who used the pillars of light at the start will gain a special action skill.
- Dispel removes the orange shield on a Jade Scout or Soldier. This should be used whenever off cooldown on any shielded target, with priority on Scouts/Soldiers directly next to the squad.
- Claim can retake an orange enemy tile, turning them brown and safe to stand in again. Note that if there is a Scout or Soldier with an orange shield on the targeted tile, Claim will not work.
- Protect creates a circular zone for 5 seconds which turns players invulnerable to damage; this includes the spikes, and is the only way to negate them. This skill must be timed well to be helpful, and also has a long cooldown so it effectively is usable once per fight.
In addition to the above mechanics, certain sections of the floor will light up blue in a pattern at set intervals of 30 seconds. If players do not stand in these within the 4 seconds they are lit, they die. Additionally, each tile is different from player to player, i.e. client-side. While multiple players can have the same tile pattern, it is unlikely that the whole group will receive the same pattern. Depending on the damage of the group, the second blue spawns may coincide with spears in an un-avoidable pattern. In this case, it's best to drop protection halfway between the two spear tiles and have the blue tile players stand just inside the edge of the protection bubble, NOT on the edge of the tiles.
A door will prevent entry into Samarog's arena. Interacting with the door enables players to be able to find keys in rubble piles in the rooms nearby. To open the door, 4 players with keys need to interact with door again in no particular order. After the cutscene, approaching Samarog will begin the fight.
Alternatively, a thief can interact with the door to pick the lock, skipping the search for keys.
Phase 1 (100% - 66% health)
Samarog's arena is lined with spikes, which instantly defeat any players who touch them. Many of its attacks will knockback players hit, making it very important to dodge attacks and also take note of positioning.
Samarog has two primary attacks. It will deal two spear sweeps in quick succession, and getting caught in both can send players flying. It will also use Impaling Stab, lifting up its spears before smashing the ground, dealing extreme damage to anyone on the point. This also releases a shockwave that travels outward, knocking back players hit; the shockwave can be dodged through, but can also be jumped over (similar to Tequatl's waves).
Orange circles will also periodically appear throughout the arena. This indicates Spear Impact will strike there shortly afterwards, which deals damage and leaves a Spear of Aggression or Revulsion at the point which applies conditions to players nearby. The squad should try to keep some sections of the arena clear of these spears.
Whenever Samarog reaches 10% health intervals, it uses Brutalize, leaping to and disabling the fixated player while it beats them up. The remaining players must break the defiance bar to stop the attack. If the pinned player loses all of their health, they are defeated without a downed state. Samarog takes 100% less damage while his defiance bar is up.[verification requested] Once the bar is broken, the furthest player will become fixated.
Upon reaching the 66% health interval, Samarog will become invulnerable and charge just outside the spike walls. To make it return, the squad will have to fight both the jotun Guldhem and the human Rigom. Guldhem redirects all damage he takes to Rigom, and once Rigom falls Guldhem will become vulnerable to damage. However, Rigom will be revived shortly afterwards. Players will have to keep Rigom down as much as possible, defeating Guldhem first and then finishing off Rigom.
The difficulty of this phase comes with keeping the two mini-bosses apart. If their orange shields are connecting they will gain buffs over time; Guldhem deals more damage, and Rigom gains more health. Crowd control such as Knockback and Immobile can be applied to Rigom and help keep him separate from Guldhem.
Phase 3 (66% - 33% health)
Once the mini-bosses are defeated, Samarog will charge back into the arena and resume his previous attacks. However, a new hazard is introduced in Inevitable Betrayal. Periodically, a random player will be surrounded in a large filling orange circle. Another player will gain a small green circle. The green circle player must stand within the center of the orange circle, or that player will take severe damage. The pair should also try and position themselves away from the rest of the squad, as the orange circle will also deal damage to other allies inside it.
If there are too many spears in the arena, Samarog will also start recalling them to his location, and the spears deal heavy damage as they travel back to him. Their path will be indicated by arrows on the field.
Upon reaching 33% health, Samarog will charge back into its alcove and summon Guldhem and Rigom once again. They can be fought in the same method as before. However, Inevitable Betrayal will continue to take effect and players should stay alert.
Phase 5 (33% - 0% health)
With the pair defeated again, Samarog will return for its last stand. It gains a new attack, Bludgeon, which has similar animations to the previous shockwave attack but is executed much quicker. Its knockbacks will also become very dangerous, as they increase in distance knocked back[verification requested] and cause Stun.
Passing through the collapsed walls after Samarog, players will find an isolated floating platform with a Shackled Prisoner on it and deadly miasma below. There is a short staircase on the closest side that players can glide to while waiting to start the encounter, which begins when any player approaches the prisoner. The encounter fails if the prisoner is defeated at any point.
Images of Greed and Pride will begin walking toward the Shackled Prisoner; if they reach him they will deal damage to him. The images of Greed deal a small amount and the images of Pride deal a large amount of damage. They are vulnerable to soft crowd control which can slow them down as players attack them. After a short delay one player will randomly be marked by an emptying green circle; when it is empty all players standing on it will be teleported to a demonic realm. From there players can break the chains to the north, east, south, and west while Deimos tries to knock them off the platform with a slow hammer swing telegraphed by an orange triangle AoE. While in the demonic realm, players will constantly gain stacks of ?? which decreases player movement speed with each stack similarly to Unseen Burden. As soon as a chain breaks the players will be teleported back. The phase continues until all four chains are broken, freeing the prisoner.
After the chains are broken, Deimos will teleport to the mortal realm to stop the players from assisting Saul. Saul throws a banner that lasts 20 seconds to the squad member with the lowest HP every 26-28 seconds. The banner heals everyone within its range for 5% of their maximum HP every second. Saul will also cast Unnatural Signet (lasts 10 seconds) on Deimos 4 to 5 seconds after he appears, each minute. Deimos periodically uses his Annihilate skill - a powerful knockback that cascades from the front over the sides to the back of himself. Deimos will also periodically cast Soul Feast - grasping hands underneath the player that is farthest from the boss. If Deimos walks over these grasping hands, he will gain Devour stacks.
At 90% health, Deimos begins to use Mind Crush, a powerful attack that is channeled for 5 seconds before dealing lethal damage to everyone, placing Weak Minded for 10 seconds on everyone that is hit. This skill can be completely mitigated with the protective bubble from Saul and the lethal damage portion can be blocked or prevent going into downed state with "Rebound!". Saul casts Form Up and Advance! on every squad member within his 1,200 unit range for the duration of the Mind Crush channel. Deimos casts Mind Crush every 35-40 seconds.
Starting at 75% health, Deimos starts placing Demonic Tears on the platform every 15 seconds. These tears shoot bloodstone projectiles every few seconds and a squad member can walk over its white effect circle to close it, gaining Tear Instability for 1 minute that prevents closing another demonic tear for the duration. At 75%, one player (except the tank) will randomly be marked by an emptying green circle that teleports everyone standing in it to the demonic realm. This time, a copy of Saul with the ability Thief will appear in the middle of the platform and channels a skill that steals all boons from the squad if not broken by the players. When the copy of Saul reaches 50% health, everyone within the demonic realm, including the copy of Saul, will be teleported back to the main platform. With that, the grasping hands now start moving towards Deimos, however they are cleared after 5 seconds.
At 60% health, Deimos starts using Rapid Decay - an AoE field that is telegraphed 3 seconds as an orange effect field. Rapid Decay deals damage and expands its radius every time someone is hit by its effect until ~80% of the platform is covered. Deimos uses Rapid Decay every 15 seconds and the fields disappear after 30 seconds. Deimos targets the squad member closest to the boss (except for the tank).
When Deimos reaches 50% health, one player (except the tank) will randomly be marked by an emptying green circle that teleports everyone standing in it to the demonic realm. This time, a copy of Saul with the ability Gambler will appear in the middle of the platform and will periodically summon 3 clones, placed in direction of the previously destroyed chains. The squad members need to defeat the non-clone copy of Saul, which can be identified by what weapon he is wielding: clones wield Prisoner's Treasured Bough, while the non-clone wields Staff of Matthias. When the copy of Saul reaches 50% health, everyone within the demonic realm, including the copy of Saul, will be teleported back to the main platform. With that, the grasping hands now start moving towards Deimos, however they are cleared after 5 seconds.
When Deimos reaches 25% health, one player (except the tank) will randomly be marked by an emptying green circle that teleports everyone standing in it to the demonic realm. This time, a copy of Saul with the ability Drunkard will appear in the middle of the platform and will periodically teleport players on the platform around if not broken. The time frame to break him in this phase is considerably smaller compared to his Thief phase. When the copy of Saul reaches 50% health, everyone within the demonic realm, including the copy of Saul, will be teleported back to the main platform. With that, the grasping hands now start moving towards Deimos, however they are cleared after 5 seconds.
At 10% health, Deimos becomes invulnerable, and soon afterwards teleports everyone to the demonic realm. Deimos now appears as a world boss at the side of the platform. He no longer uses Annihilate and Mind Crush, but he will continue creating hands and Rapid Decay circles as before, and begins using an auto-attack chain of slamming the ground with his right fist, his left fist, and then both fists[verification requested]. Each of the single slams will knockback nearby players away, and the attack with both fists will create an invisible cascading shockwave that knocks back multiple times unless dodged. Once Deimos is defeated, players and Saul will be teleported back to the Solitary Confinement platform and the prison will be cleared of miasma, allowing further exploration and investigation of the area.
- Jade Construct
- Mursaat Overseer (boss)
Upon approaching Glenna:
- Scholar Glenna: There you are! Now that you're here, we can explore this place.
- <Character name>: I see someone's a bit impatient. You think there's something important here?
- Scholar Glenna: Isn't it obvious? I make a discovery, I'm going to investigate the heck out of it.
- Scholar Glenna: And wait 'til you see what I found.
- <Character name>: Where exactly are we?
- Scholar Glenna: Good question! I don't know. But the answer is most certainly around us somewhere.
After deciding to move onward
- <Character name>: All right. Lead the way.
- Scholar Glenna: Follow me.
Upon receiving Celestial Dash
- Scholar Glenna: Huh. Do you feel that?
- Scholar Glenna: Whoa. That feels different.
- <Character name>: What the...
- <Character name>: I feel...strange.
- Scholar Glenna: Wooooo!
- Scholar Glenna: Yeah!
Upon approaching Cairn
- Scholar Glenna: Do you see that?
When hit by Shared Agony:
- If sylvari:
- <Character name>: It got me! Stay away!
After gliding west off the platform
- Scholar Glenna: I'm over here!
- <Squad member>: On the way!
- Scholar Glenna: We need to talk.
- <Squad member>: Be right there.
Entering the prison
- If asura:
- <Character name>: This appears to be a multiracial incarceration facility. Humans, jotun... who else is being kept here?
- If human with Commoner background:
- <Squad member>: I swore to myself I'd never go back to jail, and yet... here we are. This one's for you, Serentine.
- If male sylvari:
- <Character name>: Is... is this a prison?
- If ? race:
- <Character name>: This is a place of incarceration. Who is It meant to contain?
- <Squad member>: Of course we'd have to find a dead body.
- Scholar Glenna: Not my fault!
- <Character name>: Is that what I think it is?
- <Character name>: I see we were late to the party.
- Scholar Glenna: Totally not my fault.
- <Character name>: Would you stop that already?
- Scholar Glenna: No.
- <Squad member>: Judging from the trajectory of these spears, the attacker struck from a precise location.
- <Squad member>: (sniff) There's something in the next room.
- <Squad member>: But where was he situated?
- <Character name>: This poor fellow met an unpleasant end.
- <Character name>: Was there a riot here?
- <Squad member>: What was that?
While stepping over a dirt pile
- <Squad member>: Why Is the dirt uneven?
- <Squad member>: This dirt's been disturbed.
After interacting with the Dagger
- <Character name>: This isn't a shiv. A prisoner didn't forge this.
After interacting with Corpse
- If not human:
- <Character name>: This corpse is anything but fresh, yet it gives off very little odor. Like it's been preserved.
- If human:
- <Character name>: The body is strangely preserved. Under normal conditions, he'd be a pile of bones by now.
- If sylvari:
- <Character name>: Curious. The elements haven't reclaimed his body. It's as if he's been preserved somehow.
After interacting with the Jotun Corpse
- If human:
- <Character name>: Whoever ran this prison made some enemies. If humans and jotun were locked up, who else did they jail?
- If sylvari:
- <Character name>: So many lives cut short. I wonder... if they imprisoned humans and jotun here, who else did they incarcerate?
After interacting with the first Speared Corpse in Death Row
- If human:
- <Character name>: I hope he died quickly.
- <Character name>: From the looks of it, these prisoners were rebelling against their captors.
- If sylvari:
- <Character name>: I hope he was killed quickly.
- <Character name>: Judging from his surroundings, it looks like he was part of a failed uprising.
After interacting with the second Speared Corpse in Death Row
- <Character name>: Judging from the trajectory of these spears, the attacker struck from a precise location.
- <Character name>: But where was he situated?
After interacting with the Clothes Pile
- If asura:
- <Character name>: These clothes wouldn't fit a bipedal individual. And whoever wore the garments left scales behind on the fabric.
- If not asura:
- <Character name>: Whoever wore the garment left scales behind on the fabric.
- <Character name>: It's almost as if...they fit a serpentine creature. Did a krait wear this? Or some other being?
When approaching the Locket
- <Character name>: Uh...
When approaching the rockfall
- <Character name>: There's an air current streaming through the debris.
When passing through an archway
- <Character name>: The rubble here seems deliberately placed.
When grabbing a shovel
- <Character name>: Let's go dig up something interesting.
- <Character name>: Time to unearth some artifacts.
When digging up a dirt patch
- <Squad member>: Let's see what we just found.
When digging up a chest
- <Character name>: What mysteries have we uncovered today...
Upon arriving at the Mursaat Overseer arena
- If asura:
- <Squad member>: This almost looks like prison polymock.
- <Squad member>: I could get used to this.
- If human:
- <Squad member>: I feel like we stepped into someone's board game.
- If sylvari:
- <Squad member>: Oh, this doesn't look ominous?
Upon activating the Mursaat Overseer
- If asura:
- <Squad member>: I suppose we should have expected that to happen.
- <Squad member>: Watch your surroundings!
- If sylvari:
- <Squad member>: Watch your feet!
When a Jade Soldier powers up
- If asura:
- <Squad member>: One of them just powered up!
- If sylvari:
- <Squad member>: Our problems just got worse!
When approaching the locked gate
- <Character name>: That doesn't sound good.
- <Character name>: What's this?
Approach the Shackled Prisoner
- Shackled Prisoner: What are you doing? You'll let him out!
- Deimos: The Eye has chosen its sacrifice!
Upon freeing Saul D'Alessio
- Saul D'Alessio: I'd rather die than remain here any longer. I'll fight 'til my last breath!
- Deimos: You will never leave this place, D'Alessio. Not until you obey!
If Deimos activates ? Skill
- Saul D'Alessio: Stand in the ward! Quickly!
While fighting Deimos
- Deimos: We are not finished with you yet.
- Deimos: Your guilty conscience betrays you!
After killing Saul D'Alessio's drunken vice
- Saul D'Alessio: I was a slave to the bottle.
- Saul D'Alessio: I lost everyone I'd held dear.
After killing Saul D'Alessio's gambling vice
- Saul D'Alession: I gambled away everything I had, and then some.
- Saul D'Alession: But they came to collect on my debts.
After killing Saul D'Alessio's thieving vice
- Saul D'Alession: I was desperate, and turned to thievery to pay my creditors.
- Saul D'Alession: But I could not outrun my guilt. I was caught for my crimes and exiled.
- Saul D'Alession: I was left for dead. Until the mursaat found me.
When Deimos has 10% health left
- Deimos: You will die where and when I decide!
- Deimos: Your soul will never rest! Your name will forever be poison on the lips of your people!
- Saul D'Alessio: You have no power over me!
- Deimos: (demonic laughter)
Cinematic upon defeating Deimos
- Saul D'Alessio: It's all my fault.
- Saul D'Alessio: The mursaat betrayed us and murdered my men, and then dragged me to this terrible place.
- Saul D'Alessio: I've been trapped here, tormented by my own demons—paralyzed by the shame of selling out my people.
- Saul D'Alessio: The Eye kept me alive and used my guilt to try to break me down, force me to be the mursaat's puppet.
- Saul D'Alessio: Now I'm free.
After interacting with the Urn
- <Character name>: I guess not all of the prisoners were intended for release.
After interacting with the Fire Pit
- <Character name>: I don't want to know what those hooks are for.
After interacting with the Torture Chair
- If human:
- <Character name>: The mursaat's cruelty knows no bounds.
- If sylvari:
- <Character name>: I wonder how many prisoners broke under duress.
After interacting with the Speared Corpse in The Warden's Office [verification requested]
- <Character name>: Curious. The elements haven't reclaimed his body. It's as if he's been preserved somehow.
After interacting with the tree
- <Character Name>: Life happens in the most unexpected of places.
Upon approaching the bag of coins in the Chamber of the Guilty
- Saul D'Alessio: I'll see your two silver and raise you three gold.
- "Helpful Friend": Hold on. Hold on. What have you got up those sleeves.
- Saul D'Alessio: Show me your cards.
- "Helpful Friend": Balthazar's backside. I won again!
- Saul D'Alessio: Pleasure doing business with you.
- "Helpful Friend": What? How could you—
- Saul D'Alessio: Don't make bets you can't pay off.
- "Helpful Friend": You're a liar and a cheater!
- Saul D'Alessio: Come on. You can trust me. Does this look like the face of a liar?
- "Helpful Friend": Damn, Saul. You keep losing like this and your grandkids will be paying off your debts.
- Saul D'Alessio: What? That's impossible. Three in a row? No way I'm quitting now.
- "Helpful Friend": Pay up, D'Alessio. You lost fairly.
- Saul D'Alessio: Come on! At least leave me with a little something to get home.
- "Helpful Friend": Your word's not good around here anymore.
- Saul D'Alessio: Roll the dice!
- "Helpful Friend": You're all tapped out, friend.
- Saul D'Alessio: Gods! OK, OK. One more round. Come on.
- "Helpful Friend": We don't allow paupers in this game, D'Alessio. Get your ass out of here!
- Saul D'Alessio: You lying cheater! I saw what you did!
- "Helpful Friend": Hand over the gold unless you want a beating.
- Saul D'Alessio: You want the shirt off my back, too?
- "Helpful Friend": Every day you're late with payment, I'll break a finger. Run out of fingers? I'll snap your neck.
Upon approaching the dagger in the Chamber of the Guilty
- Saul D'Alessio: Empty your pockets into the bag. That's right, everything.
- Bystander: What's going on here?
- Saul D'Alessio: Just...save the sob story and hand over the gold, all right?
- Bystander: You're making a big mistake!
- Saul D'Alessio: Keep a silver so you don't go hungry. Now get me out of here. Go on. Go!
- Bystander: Why are you doing this?
- Saul D'Alessio: Take off all your jewelry. Give it here.
- Bystander: This is all I have. Someone, help!
- Saul D'Alessio: Nobody's gonna get hurt. Just give me your coin and you can go.
- Bystander: Leave the children alone! Here, take everything we have.
- Saul D'Alessio: Forget you've ever seen this face.
- Bystander: Help us! Anyone! We're being robbed!
- Saul D'Alessio: I'm sorry. I'm...look. Look, I need to pay them or they'll kill me. Understand?
- Bystander: Don't hurt us!
Upon approaching the bottle in the Chamber of the Guilty
- Bartender: When are you going to pay that tab? I've got a family to feed.
- Saul D'Alessio: Whoever buys me another drink gets a new best friend.
- Bartender: Hey, pal. I think you've had enough.
- Saul D'Alessio: Ha ha. Being sober is for quitters.
- Bartender: You OK, buddy? Here, have some water.
- Saul D'Alessio: My head feels like an ettin sat on it.
- Bartender: Hold on, everyone. I think we've got a camel in disguise over here.
- Saul D'Alessio: My definition of a drinking problem: last call.
- Bartender: You keep putting that liver of yours on trial, it'll jump on the bar and ask for leniency.
- Saul D'Alessio: Bartender, uncork that bottle and keep it flowing.
- Bartender: As long as you've got coin, I'll keep that cup full.
- Saul D'Alessio: What do you say you, me, and this bottle get a room for the night.
- Bartender: (laughing) Man down! We've got a man down over here.
- Saul D'Alessio: Don't get up. I'm fine.
In the Chamber of the Guilty
- Saul D'Alessio: Deceitful murderers. They used me.
- Saul D'Alessio: My men died for a lie. What have I done?
- Saul D'Alessio: I never meant for any of this. All I wanted was Kryta to be free.
- Saul D'Alessio: They'll think me a traitor. My name will be reviled for generations.
- Saul D'Alessio: I have to escape. I have to find Hablion.
- Saul D'Alessio: They're not to be trusted. I need to warn the others of the mursaat.
- Saul D'Alessio: We must rally against them. They're even worse than the charr.
- The raid wing was first announced by an article on massivelyOP.
- This raid is a single wing, and will not be expanded in the future. 
- Bobby Stein was the Lead Narrative Designer for the Guild Wars 2 Raids Team at the time of this wing's release.
- The instance was originally themed around a tomb, not a prison. 
- One iteration of the tomb idea had an entire room of statues that would come to life, evoking a similar visual to the terra-cotta army of Qin Shi Huang. 
- There are 1,222 spears in the map, for a total of 1.1 million triangles in spears alone! 
- Originally, there was no cinematic to introduce the shackled prisoner encounter—the cinematics team saw the model and asked [the raid development team] if they could make one. 
- The initial concept for the final boss involved players fighting the shackled prisoner, but the [raid development] team felt it would be more interesting to humanize that character and instead fight the fearsome demon that imprisoned him. 
- ^ https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/61qy5u/info_graphic_on_cairn_mechanicspatterns/
- ^ http://massivelyop.com/2017/01/31/guild-wars-2-head-of-the-snake-living-world-episode-coming-february-7th-plus-new-trailer-and-heart-of-thorns-sale/
- ^ http://www.mmorpg.com/guild-wars-2/interviews/the-demons-of-bastion-of-the-penitent-1000011552
- ^ a b c d e https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/encounter-design-tabletops-and-chess/