Strike Mission: Whisper of Jormag
Strike Mission: Whisper of Jormag
WARNING: Entering this Strike Mission will reveal key plot points of the "Shadow in the Ice" story.
Gather your allies and relive the battle against the Ice Dragon's most persuasive servant yet. Deep under the mountains of the Bjora Marches, a whisper awaits.
— In-game description
- The portal for entering the strike mission is located in the southwest edge of Bjora Marches. The option to join a public instance is currently available. Players will be put into a new instance with up to 10 other players. If a public mission starts with fewer than 10 players, it will be locked down and no more players will be able to join.
- Speak to the Raven shaman to begin the Strike Mission.
- Draw out the Whisper of Jormag.
- Defeat the Whisper of Jormag.
- Whisper of Jormag
- Strike Mission ends in: 10:00
- Silver rewards disappear in: 5:00
- Gold rewards disappear in: 3:00
- Strike Mission complete!
- Mission closes in: 2:00
- Bonus rewards obtained: x/2
Condi cleanse is not required for this fight but a fast, mobile healer is generally advised, especially for PUG groups as, particularly inexperienced, players are likely to go down all around the arena due to the need to split at various times during the fight.
Provided players have stacked up on Essence of Valor before the fight, players do not need personal breakbar damage. Periodically, the boss will summon a blizzard and a breakbar will appear, which ends the blizzard and stuns the boss when broken. It's highly beneficial to break this bar, however it can be broken easily using the essence manipulation special skill that appears at this time.
At the beginning of the fight and periodically throughout, the boss will launch the squad into the air. The boss will then ground-target an attack on the spots from where everyone was launched. All squad members should engage their gliders to land in a new place and entirely avoid the damage.
Also periodically, the boss will target all players for bombardment from the air by icicles. Each player will be marked by a red circle. The icicle attack is a modest AOE that, on it's own, the player can dodge or simply eat, however if players are hit by overlapping AOE from several in the squad it can cause significant damage. As players are normally stacked just outside the boss's hitbox when this attack happens, it is important players separate, normally to the edge of the arena, to avoid overlapping their circles.
From time to time, green circles will appear with yellow arrows above. These will get smaller until they disappear. At least 4 players should try to be in a circle when it disappears or all members of squad will take damage. Each player in the circle, up to 4, reduces the damage by 25%.
- 75% - Doppleganger Reflection #1
Below 75% the boss begins using a new "chains" attack. Randomly 3 players will be selected. A small timer will appear over their head and the purplish outline of a chain will connect them to the boss. Roughly 2-3 seconds later the chains will materialize. These chains will cause severe damage to any players passing through them. It is extremely important that any players with the chains only move backwards and forwards and not side to side, as they can inadvertently pass through squadmates and kill them. Likewise, melee needs to be extremely aware of this mechanic. All 3 chains are attached to the boss and if melee is inside the boss's character model, the melee can receive damage from all 3 chains. This will likely both down and defeat the player within a second. If someone with a chain sees a downed player lying in his chain, in contrast to the normal rule, he should try to move slightly left or right to avoid damaging the downed player but only if he can do so safely without hitting other players.
Note: The boss will also continue performing its "launch" attack while people are chained. The chained players need to be careful to glide to safety while not moving far from left to right.
The chains are very obviously telegraphed and not difficult to avoid provided everyone is paying attention (especially those that get the chains).
- 25% - Doppleganger Reflection #2
Below 25%, the boss begins using a couple new attacks in addition to the previous attacks.
The first is an arc attack that covers roughly 50% of the platform. This doesn't do too much damage and you can consider eating it if you're low on energy for dodges.
The second new attack is a barrage of slow-rolling "orbs" that start from the boss and roll to the edge of the arena. The start of this attack is indicated by large red arrows with yellow borders radiating out from the boss in roughly a 120 degree arc. These orbs do significant AOE damage if they impact a player. If players stay near the boss and are hit by several of these exploding orbs, detonated by themselves or other players,they can be seriously damaged, even instantly downed. So, as with the icicles, it is advisable players move to the edge of the area when the red arrows appear, where the orbs are easily avoided, before returning to just outside the boss's hitbox after they are gone.
- Raven Shaman Hallveig: Thanks for the assistance, Commander. Is your squad ready to go?
- If public:
- (Advancing will lock your party and prevent any other players from joining the Strike Mission.)
- Let's do this.
- We're still waiting for more people to show up.
- Shadow in the Ice: Legendary Whisper of Jormag — Defeat the Whisper of Jormag in the Strike Mission: Whisper of Jormag. (10)
- Shadow in the Ice: Reflections in the Ice — Defeat your frozen clone in 10 seconds or less in the Whisper of Jormag Strike Mission. (5)
- Shadow in the Ice: Slither-less — Complete the Whisper of Jormag Strike Mission without triggering Slithering Rime explosions. (5)
- Shadow in the Ice: Vortex, Interrupted — Interrupt the Whisper of Jormag's Frigid Vortex 5 times in one encounter. (10)