Strike Mission: Whisper of Jormag
Strike Mission: Whisper of Jormag
- Strike Mission
- Bjora Marches
Click to enlarge.
WARNING: Entering this Strike Mission will reveal key plot points of the "Shadow in the Ice" story.
Gather your allies and relive the battle against the Ice Dragon's most persuasive servant yet. Deep under the mountains of the Bjora Marches, a whisper awaits.
— In-game description
Strike Mission: Whisper of Jormag is the fifth Strike Mission introduced into the game.
After selecting one of the modes, either Public or Squad, players will be put into a new instance with up to 10 players. If a Public mission engages the boss with fewer than 10 players, it will be locked down and no more players will be able to join.
- Portal at the southwest edge of Bjora Marches.
- Strike Mission portal in Eye of the North.
- Speak to the Raven shaman to begin the Strike Mission.
- Draw out the Whisper of Jormag.
- Defeat the Whisper of Jormag.
- Whisper of Jormag
- Strike Mission ends in: 10:00
- Silver rewards disappear in: 5:00
- Gold rewards disappear in: 3:00
- Strike Mission complete!
- Mission closes in: 2:00
- Bonus rewards obtained: x/2
- Each kill at least one bouncy chest. Depending on the group's speed, a total of up two additional bonus chests may be obtained.
- Misty Cape Scrap (If Prototype Harmonizing Mist Loom has been purchased.)
- Blue Prophet Shard (1-3)
- Piece of Unidentified Gear (2-3)
- Piece of Common Unidentified Gear (0-2)
- Piece of Rare Unidentified Gear (0-2)
- 25 -45
- 1,000 -4,000 (Karma Rewards are affected by consumable boosters.)
- 21,336 -48,006
- Possible rare rewards:
This strike mission is the next progression after players complete the Shiverpeaks Pass, Voice of the Fallen and Claw of the Fallen and Fraenir of Jormag strike missions, which are collectively referred to by the community as the "IBS EZ3" strike missions. As with the Boneskinner strike mission, this fight is significantly more difficult. These two encounters along with the EZ3 strike missions are collectively referred to as the "IBS Fast 5" strike missions due to their relatively quick completion speed compared to the Cold War and the Forging Steel strike missions.
Whisper of Jormag
- Health: 24,774,120
- Enrage Timer: 10 minutes
- Enrage Effect: Defeats all players
This encounter has decent healing pressure and heavily punishes players that fail certain mechanics. It is thus recommended to have at least two dedicated healers, especially for inexperienced or unorganized groups. There are little to no conditions involved in this fight. Players with the respective essence manipulation mastery can attack the nearby pylon to collect orbs for either the Power of Resilience, Power of Valor, or Power of Vigilance effect, depending on the week.
Players will take damage from Frostbite Aura every three seconds throughout the fight. The Whisper of Jormag will face one of the cardinal directions and periodically rotate between each of them. A list of its special skills is included below:
|Viscous Slam||The Whisper of Jormag slams its staff and launches all players into the air, spawning an icy spike underneath their original positions after a delay. Furthermore, the boss will Knockback any players standing inside its hitbox prior to launching them up. Players should either activate their glider or fall to a different spot to mitigate this damage.|
|Ice Tempest||Four icy tornados emerge from the Whisper of Jormag then move outwards before spinning around.|
|Spreading Ice||The Whisper of Jormag targets all enemies with deadly ice shards. While a target may evade their own shards, they may not evade others' shards. Players can dodge into the arena boundary to avoid the attack while remaining in the same position. Blocks and invulnerability do not work.|
|Ice Shatter||The Whisper of Jormag covers the ground with volatile ice magic that deals periodic damage. This attack will always be directed towards where the boss is facing. The initial AoE telegraph does no damage. Afterwards, the Whisper of Jormag may rotate and face a new direction.|
|Lethal Coalescence||The Whisper of Jormag targets a foe with a massive burst of frost magic. The damage done by this attack is distributed among all enemies caught in the blast. This will deal lethal damage, with each player standing in the green circle greatly reducing the impact damage.|
After readying up, players must take the resulting portal then investigate the ice formation to start the encounter.
Phase 1 (100% – 75%)
The Whisper of Jormag follows a fixed, repeating attack pattern: Vicious Slam → Ice Tempest → Ice Shatter → Vicious Slam → Spreading Ice → Ice Shatter → Vicious Slam → Lethal Coalescence → 2x Ice Shatter. Player must make sure not to overlap the timed orange circles on top of each other, and to ensure everyone makes it to the green circle to greatly reduce the explosion damage.
Upon reaching 75% health, the boss will become invulnerable then freeze and teleport each player to an isolated platform. A doppelganger of the player will spawn on both the main and isolated platforms. Players can return to the main platform if either of the doppelgangers is defeated. These enemies also have an unlocked defiance bar that, when broken, will stun and apply to them the exposed debuff. However, the bar can be entirely ignored given their low total health.
The Whisper of Jormag will return to the main platform once all doppelgangers have been defeated.
Phase 2 (75% – 25%)
This phase is largely the same aside from the addition of two new attacks that can make the encounter more dangerous:
- Chains of Frost
- The chain of frost between the Whisper of Jormag and one of its foes deals damage to those who touch it. This is indicated first by a timer above a player's head then by a blue chain. Players tethered with this chain should move predictably and stay still. Take care to not stand in the boss's hitbox else all chains will hit, quickly downing and defeating players.
- Frigid Vortex
- The Whisper of Jormag channels a vortex, pulsing medium damage to all players. Its defiance bar unlocks and can be broken to interrupt this attack and apply Stun and Exposed to it. Players should use either the Night Terror, Shattered Psyche, or Spirit Nova special action skill to break the bar.
Three players will be targeted for the Chains of Frost attack and must take care not to run the chains through other players. Chained players must also be careful when gliding or dropping down during the Viscious Slam attack. The chains will expire after some time before a new set is chains occur. The Whisper of Jormag will also periodically cast the Frigid Vortex attack. Players should prioritize breaking this bar over reviving downed players (unless they are near defeated or alive) to interrupt the pulsing damage.
The Whisper of Jormag follows a fixed, repeating attack pattern: Chains of Frost → Ice Tempest → Spreading Ice → Chains of Frost → Vicious Slam → Lethal Coalescence → Chains of Frost → Vicious Slam → Frigid Vortex.
Similar to before, players are teleported and must defeat their doppelganger once the boss reaches 25% health. The boss will then return once all have been defeated.
Phase 3 (25% – 0%)
This phase introduces a swipe attack that spans half the platform and disables players, which can be mitigated with Stability. The boss additionally gains a deadly mechanic:
- Slithering Rime
- The Whisper of Jormag rapidly spins, launching multiple icy explosions around itself and shooting out orbs of ice. Pets, minions, and other player summons can body-block these orbs, making skills such as Summon Flesh Wurm useful if they are properly placed on top of the boss right before this attack.
Of note, Spreading Ice will no longer deal damage unless players are hit by the AoE from another player. Dodges are therefore no longer required to avoid damage for this attack. Furthermore, each of the boss's attacks will occur in quicker succession. If the orbs from Slithering Rime are not blocked by an entity, players should pay extra caution in avoiding the center and sidestepping these orbs.
The Whisper of Jormag will be silenced upon reaching 0% health.
- Raven Shaman Hallveig: Thanks for the assistance, Commander. Is your squad ready to go?
- If public:
- (Advancing will lock your party and prevent any other players from joining the Strike Mission.)
- Let's do this.
- We're still waiting for more people to show up.
- Shadow in the Ice: Legendary Whisper of Jormag — Defeat the Whisper of Jormag in the Strike Mission. (10)
- Return to Shadow in the Ice: (Bonus) Strike Back: Whisper of Jormag — Complete the Whisper of Jormag Strike Mission. (0)
- Daily Strike Mission: Priority Strike: Voice in the Frozen Deep — Defeat the Whisper of Jormag in the Voice in the Frozen Deep Strike Mission. (0)
- Shadow in the Ice: Reflections in the Ice — Defeat your frozen clone in 10 seconds or less in the Whisper of Jormag Strike Mission. (5)
- Shadow in the Ice: Slither-less — Complete the Whisper of Jormag Strike Mission without triggering Slithering Rime explosions. (5)
- Shadow in the Ice: Vortex, Interrupted — Interrupt the Whisper of Jormag's Frigid Vortex 5 times in one encounter. (10)
- Prior to the February 28, 2022 game update, the strike mission rewarded shards depending on the weekly Emissary:
- Blue Prophet Shard (1-3)
- Green Prophet Shard (1-3)
- Red Prophet Shard (1-3)