Following his coronation in 0 CC (510 BE), Old Kaineng City was named by the first Emperor of Cantha, Kaineng Tah, whose name meant "lord emperor", with Kaineng City therefore meaning "Emperor's City". He ordered the construction of Raisu Palace as the seat of power for the imperial family. It was finished some time after his death in 46 CC (464 BE), containing only the stretch of land at the northernmost point of Cantha.
In 1204 CC (694 AE), the palace was burned down by rebels opposing the rule of Emperor Singtah. His son, Senvho, ordered the rebuilding of the palace, an endeavor which continued through his whole life.
Following the Jade Wind in 1382 CC (872 AE), caused by the treacherous assassin Shiro Tagachi, which drove Canthan citizens out of their homes areas along the fringes of the empire, the city grew exponentially to account for the flood of refugees. Within a few years, Kaineng had became a disorderly mass of buildings stacked upon each other, ruined homes caused by battles between the Am Fah and Jade Brotherhood, and slums containing the poorest members of society.
In 1396 CC, the residents of the Courthouse Square successfully petitioned the Celestial Ministry to rename their district to Vizunah Square, in honor of the assassin Vizu, who helped to slay Shiro. Following suit, in 1406 CC (896 AE), the central district, often referred to as Old Kaineng at the time, was renamed to Kaineng Center by Emperor Hanjai.
The City of Kaineng was destroyed about 100 years ago by the awakening of the Elder Dragon Zhaitan, which caused a massive tidal wave that wiped out most of the old Kaineng and transformed many Canthanians into Risens, who currently occupy this location. Rather than kill all of these now unchained Risen, Cantha attempted to contain them within the old city, though they occasionally cause trouble. Although the place now looms with danger, there are still many people who venture here, in search of history and lost treasures.