Map navigation refers to moving around Guild Wars 2's zones.
There are a number of different transportation and travel methods that can be used to get across Tyria in Guild Wars 2.
Guild Wars 2 features multiple ways to instantaneously travel or teleport to areas; the primary methods include traveling via waypoints and using asura gates. There are also other secondary methods such as using the Guild menu to travel to your guild hall and traveling through lounges, as they often provide portals to certain zones and cities.
|Player can be anywhere||Waypoint|
|Player can be anywhere on the same map||Drizzlewood Coast captured point |
|Drizzlewood Coast uncaptured point  |
|Unlocked Shrines in Siren's Landing and Dragonfall|
|Player must be at the icon on the map||Nuhoch Wallow|
|Skritt Tunnels in The Silverwastes|
|Thermal Tube in Bitterfrost Frontier, Draconis Mons, Ember Bay, and Dragonfall|
There are various teleportation devices, usually consumables or gizmos, that teleport the character to a specific location. Teleportation devices are items that lead to major cities or Living World maps. All teleportation devices from a Living World season can be stored in the Tome for that season. Other individual teleporting devices will teleport players back to story-related locations and special instances. The Living World Season 3, Living World Season 4, and Icebrood Saga maps each have portal scrolls available for purchase. The portal scrolls are account-bound, so they can be used by another character to enter that map, without the need to start that story.
Lounge passes are Gem Store items which teleport the character to a hub location containing most of the services found in cities. Other passes obtained from the Gem Store may give quality-of-life benefits. These benefits include entering one's home instance from anywhere in the world, and access to hard-to-reach locations.
Most of them can't be used while defeated, but there is a few exceptions such as Invitation to "Lily of the Elon" and Arborstone Portal Scroll.
Other teleportation devices
- ^ a b This item is consumed on use.
- ^ a b c Living World portal tomes allow you to store all associated portal scrolls from the corresponding Living World season in a single item. When used, a dialog opens where you can select any location that was stored in the tome to teleport to.
- ^ This item comes with an Eye of the North portal option by default.
- ^ This location must be unlocked before it's available.
- ^ This item has 5 charges.
Reducing travel costs
- Guild upgrades
- Guilds can build upgrades to permanently reduce waypoint costs by 5%, 10% and then 15% for representing members.
Avoiding waypoint fees
- To Lion's Arch
You can reduce the fees paid for fast travel primarily by going through The Mists to get to Lion's Arch:
- Open the PvP panel (no default keybind), click Enter PvP Lobby to travel to the Heart of the Mists.
- Take the Portal to Lion's Arch — waypoint. Portal to Lion's Arch near
- Open the World vs. World panel (default B), enter any of the five Mist War maps or the Edge of the Mists; take the asura gate to Lion's Arch.
- From Lion's Arch
- Asura gates at the Coriolis Plaza — near Gate Hub Plaza Waypoint — provide free transportation to the following destinations:
- Five major cities (Rata Sum, Black Citadel, Divinity's Reach, Hoelbrak, The Grove)
- Pearl Islet in Southsun Cove
- You can travel back to Lion's Arch using the gate located at your arrival point from Lion's Arch.
- Lionguard Aircrew (Transport Facilitator) offers transport to the Free City of Amnoon in Crystal Oasis.
- Requires the Path of Fire expansion and completion of the Sparking the Flame prologue.
- Constructing a guild portal permits free travel to the PvP lobby, Lion's Arch, the Lion's Arch Aerodrome, and the weekly destinations of the Guild Challenge, Race, and Puzzle.
- To travel to Fort Trinity in Orr, you can use the asura gate in your chosen order's headquarters; this is unlocked during your personal story.
- Stronghold of Ebonhawke can be reached by using the Asura gate at Rurikton in Divinity's Reach.
- When defeated you can always travel to the nearest waypoint.
- If you have insufficient coins to pay the normal waypoint fee, then the fee will be reduced the maximum that you can afford.
- If the waypoint is contested, you will have to wait to travel (or have someone mail you the cost to travel to the next nearest waypoint).
- You cannot travel to the Mists while defeated.
- Other free waypoints
- Inside each of the major cities.
- Inside dungeons.
- Inside World versus World. (Contains Merchants, Banks, Trading Posts, and once left will return you to your original location in PvE).
- Inside the Mistlock Sanctuary, Armistice Bastion, and Thousand Seas Pavilion.
Gem store items
These can only be used in Player versus Environment. Waypoint Unlock Box and Central Tyria Waypoint Unlock Package are single-use items, that will unlock waypoints on one character only. There are also various Travel toys that while do not enhance the player's speed, that, when activated, changes the appearance of the movement animations of a character.
- Travel (toy)