There are different ways to move around the maps in the game. There are three different types:
- using options available in the map
- items that can be purchased inside a map
- items in the gem store
There are three general map options.
|Player can be anywhere||Waypoint|
|Player can be anywhere on the same map||Drizzlewood Coast captured point |
|Drizzlewood Coast uncaptured point  |
|Unlocked Shrines in Siren's Landing and Dragonfall|
|Player must be at the icon on the map||Nuhoch Wallow|
|Skritt Tunnels in The Silverwastes|
|Thermal Tube in Bitterfrost Frontier, Draconis Mons, Ember Bay, and Dragonfall|
There are various teleportation devices, usually consumables or gizmos, that teleport the character to a specific location. Teleportation devices are items that lead to major cities or Living World maps. All teleportation devices from a Living World season can be stored in the Tome for that season. Other individual teleporting devices will teleport players back to story-related locations and special instances. The Living World Season 3, Living World Season 4, and Icebrood Saga maps each have portal scrolls available for purchase. The portal scrolls are account-bound, so they can be used by another character to enter that map, without the need to start that story.
Lounge passes are Gem Store items which teleport the character to a hub location containing most of the services found in cities. Other passes obtained from the Gem Store may give quality-of-life benefits. These benefits include entering one's home instance from anywhere in the world, and access to hard-to-reach locations.
Other teleportation devices
- ^ a b This item is consumed on use.
- ^ a b c Living World portal tomes allow you to store all associated portal scrolls from the corresponding Living World season in a single item. When used, a dialog opens where you can select any location that was stored in the tome to teleport to.
- ^ This item comes with an Eye of the North portal option by default.
- ^ This location must be unlocked before it's available.
- ^ This item has 5 charges.
Gem store items
These can only be used in Player versus Environment. Waypoint Unlock Box and Central Tyria Waypoint Unlock Package are single-use items, that will unlock waypoints on one character only. There are also various Travel toys that while do not enhance the player's speed, that, when activated, changes the appearance of the movement animations of a character.