Black Lion Chest
Black Lion Chest
Updated for the new year! Contains a guaranteed item, a redeemable Black Lion Statuette, and 2 common items. Each chest has a chance for an extra rare item, including exclusive skins not available anywhere else. Preview available.
— In-game description
A Black Lion Chest is a container that, when used with a Black Lion Chest Key, usually yields four or more items. Many items within are also available in the Gem Store, though some rare items are exclusive to the chest, and a good portion of the items are Account Bound. Players are able to view the items contained in a Black Lion Chest by right clicking on the Chest and selecting the Preview option.
When activated, a Black Lion Chest window opens that allows the player to combine a chest and a key.
- Rare drop from any open world foe.
- For previous contents, see: Black Lion Chest/historical
Each Black Lion Chest contains four items: a seasonal item, at least one Black Lion Statuette, and two common items. In addition there is a chance at an uncommon, rare or super rare item which will appear as an additional fifth drop.
- Black Lion Statuette (2-4)
- Utility Primer
- Metabolic Primer
- Self-Style Hair Kit
- Upgrade Extractor
- Transmutation Charge (5)
- Revive Orb
- Blue Shift Dye Kit
- Lion's Arch Survivors Dye Kit
- Primordus Dye Kit
- Taimi's Dye Kit
- Black Lion Commemorative Coin
- Toy Mini Egg
- Black Lion Lockbreaker Kit
- Tyrian Exchange Voucher
- Guaranteed Weapon Unlock
- Guaranteed Armor Unlock
- Large Crafting Bag (2)
- Heavy Crafting Bag (2)
- Black Lion Material Bag: Istan
- Guaranteed Wardrobe Unlock
- Teleport to Friend
- Black Lion Miniature Claim Ticket
- Black Lion Claim Ticket Scrap
- Cavalier Focus Skin
- Cavalier Hammer Skin
- Cavalier Greatsword Skin
- Cavalier Staff Skin
- Cavalier Mace Skin
- Cavalier Rifle Skin
- Cavalier Short Bow Skin
- Cavalier Torch Skin
- Cavalier Shield Skin
- Cavalier Longbow Skin
- Cavalier Axe Skin
- Cavalier Sword Skin
- Cavalier Dagger Skin
- Cavalier Warhorn Skin
- Cavalier Pistol Skin
- Cavalier Scepter Skin
- Black Lion Claim Ticket
- Total Makeover Kit
- Jeweled Scarab Package
- Storm Dagger Skin
- Mini Awakened Mounts Pack
- Glyph of Flight (Unused)
- Glyph of Industry (Unused)
- Black Lion Statuette (25)
- Golden Black Lion Chest Key (3)
- Omnomberry Harvesting Node
- Ghost Pepper Harvesting Node
- Hard Wood Logging Node
- Platinum Mining Node
- Unopened Endless Branded Tonic
Super rare drops
- Permanent Trading Post Express Contract
- Endless Upgrade Extractor Contract
- Permanent Black Lion Merchant Contract
- Permanent Bank Access Contract
- Endless Repair Contract
- Permanent Hair Stylist Contract
- Drop rate research can be viewed here.
- Opening a chest previously yielded you with 1 , up until the January 21, 2014 update.
- If the chest would have granted you a Wardrobe Unlock account-bound upgrade you already possess you will be granted Black Lion Keys instead; as well as being prompted with the red message 'Duplicate, account-bound unlock detected. Item has been replaced with free keys.'
- Until the update on November 1, 2016, three non-seasonal items (such as Trick or Treat Bag or Lucky Envelopes) were guaranteed.
- Chest drop tables were often altered during major or seasonal releases, either by adding release-specific categories to the three drop spread or guaranteeing additional items on top of the existing drops.
- The LWS3 Episode 6 update removed Tomes of Knowledge and Unidentified Dyes from rotation. The Black Lion Booster and Mystic Forge Stones were added as Common Drops. These were later removed as of the 2017 Wintersday Black Lion Chest update.
- Significant revisions were made to the regular Black Lion Chest items with updates to the 2017 Wintersday's Glacial Wintersday Chest, that included:
- The contents were first updated in the 25 September 2012 update, which added additional items and replaced random tonics with Mystery Tonics and its endless version.
- Prior to the June 3, 2014 update, chests were split into locked and unlocked items. Using a key converted the former into the latter which served as a container.
- Prior to the February 18, 2014 update, unlocked chests were soulbound on acquire. This patch saw this item made account bound at the request of players.
- Tradeable permanent finishers were added in the 29 September 2015 update. This patch also removed Metabolic Primer, Utility Primer, Large Guild Discovery, and Boost Enchantment Powder from the drop tables. The Metabolic Primer was re-introduced in the March 28, 2017 update as an Uncommon drop.
- As of the rework in 2016, the window to open the chest now shows the current seasonal item as well as the chest sometimes being a different color. Previously it was just a grey color with no other decorations. Additionally, contents could now be viewed and the chests were given unique names.
- Notable permanent additions include: