Black Lion Chest
Black Lion Chest
Contains up to four items including a seasonal item, a convenience item, and a progression item. Exclusive skins not available anywhere else can be found inside.
— In-game description
A Black Lion Chest is a container that, when used with a Black Lion Chest Key, usually yields three items. Many items within are also available in the Gem Store, though some rare items are exclusive to the chest, and a good portion of the items are Account Bound. Players are able to view the item(s) contained in a Black Lion Chest by right clicking on the Chest and selecting the Preview option.
When activated, a Black Lion Chest window opens that allows the player to combine a chest and a key.
- Rare drop from any open world foe.
Each Black Lion Chest contains three common items: a seasonal item (which is the first item listed below), one convenience item and one account progression item. In addition there is a chance at an uncommon, rare or super rare item which will appear as an additional fourth drop.
- Black Lion Material Bag: Elona (Guaranteed seasonal item)
- Bank Access Express
- Trading Post Express
- Merchant Express
- Teleport to Friend
- Black Lion Booster
- Mystic Forge Stone
- Transmutation Charge
- Black Lion Claim Ticket Scrap
- Black Lion Miniature Claim Ticket
- Toy Miniature Egg
- Guaranteed Wardrobe Unlock
- Revive Orb
- Black Lion Claim Ticket
- Self-Style Hair Kit
- Total Makeover Kit
- Bloodstone Dye Kit
- Wild Magic Backpack Glider Combo
- Fallen Balthazar Package
- Endless Desert Mystery Tonic
- Mithril Mining Node
- Elder Wood Logging Node
- Golden Black Lion Chest Key (3)
- Permanent Vigil Megalaser Finisher
- Permanent Quaggan Finisher
- Ley Line Axe Skin
- Ley Line Dagger Skin
- Ley Line Mace Skin
- Ley Line Pistol Skin
- Ley Line Scepter Skin
- Ley Line Sword Skin
- Ley Line Focus Skin
- Ley Line Shield Skin
- Ley Line Torch Skin
- Ley Line Warhorn Skin
- Ley Line Greatsword Skin
- Ley Line Hammer Skin
- Ley Line Longbow Skin
- Ley Line Rifle Skin
- Ley Line Short Bow Skin
- Ley Line Staff Skin
Super rare drops
- Endless Repair Contract
- Permanent Hair Stylist Contract
- Permanent Bank Access Contract
- Permanent Black Lion Merchant Contract
- Permanent Trading Post Express Contract
- Dreamthistle Harpoon Gun Skin
- Dreamthistle Trident Skin
- Dreamthistle Warhorn Skin
- Dreamthistle Staff Skin
- Dreamthistle Torch Skin
- Dreamthistle Focus Skin
- Dreamthistle Axe Skin
- Dreamthistle Hammer Skin
- Dreamthistle Longbow Skin
- Dreamthistle Rifle Skin
- Dreamthistle Mace Skin
- Dreamthistle Sword Skin
- Dreamthistle Shield Skin
- Dreamthistle Greatsword Skin
- Dreamthistle Pistol Skin
- ^ a b c d e f This item can appear in the second slot.
- ^ a b c d e f This item can appear in the third slot.
- Primary article: Black Lion Chest/historical
The various appearance of the Black Lion Chest window.
Appearance at the release of A Crack in the Ice.
Appearance at the release of Head of the Snake.
Appearance after the release of Flashpoint
Appearance after the release of One Path Ends
Appearance after the release of Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire
- Drop rate research can be viewed here.
- Opening a chest previously yielded you with 1 , up until the 21 January 2014 update.
- If the chest would have granted you a Wardrobe Unlock account-bound upgrade you already possess you will be granted Black Lion Keys instead; as well as being prompted with the red message 'Duplicate, account-bound unlock detected. Item has been replaced with free keys.'
- Until the update on November 1, 2016, three non-seasonal items (such as Trick or Treat Bag or Lucky Envelopes) were guaranteed.
- Chest drop tables were often altered during major or seasonal releases, either by adding release-specific categories to the three drop spread or guaranteeing additional items on top of the existing drops.
- The window now shows the current seasonal item as well as the chest sometimes being a different color. Previously it was just a grey color with no other decorations.
- The LWS3 Episode 6 update removed Tomes of Knowledge and Unidentified Dyes from rotation. The Black Lion Booster and Mystic Forge Stones were added as Common Drops.
- The August 8, 2017 update added Black Lion Exclusive Chests as Rare Drops.
- The contents were first updated in the 25 September 2012 update, which added additional items and replaced random tonics with Mystery Tonics and its endless version.
- Self-Style Hair Kit and Total Makeover Kit were added as rare drops in the 3 December 2012 update.
- Prior to the June 3, 2014 update, chests were split into locked and unlocked items. Using a key converted the former into the latter which served as a container.
- Prior to the February 18, 2014 update, unlocked chests were soulbound on acquire. This patch saw this item made account bound at the request of players.
- The Permanent Hair Stylist Contract was added on 29 July 2014.
- Tradeable permanent finishers were added in the 29 September 2015 update. This patch also removed Metabolic Primer, Utility Primer, Large Guild Discovery, and Boost Enchantment Powder from the drop tables. The Metabolic Primer was re-introduced in the March 28, 2017 update as an Uncommon drop.