Black Lion Chest
Black Lion Chest
Contains up to four items including a seasonal item, a convenience item, and a progression item. Exclusive skins not available anywhere else can be found inside.
— In-game description
A Black Lion Chest is a container that, when used with a Black Lion Chest Key, usually yields three items. Many items within are also available in the Gem Store, though some rare items are exclusive to the chest, and a good portion of the items are Account Bound. Players are able to view the item(s) contained in a Black Lion Chest by right clicking on the Chest and selecting the Preview option.
When activated, a Black Lion Chest window opens that allows the player to combine a chest and a key.
- Rare drop from any open world foe.
- For previous contents, see: Black Lion Chest/historical
Each Black Lion Chest contains three common items: a seasonal item (which is the first item listed below), one convenience item and one account progression item. In addition there is a chance at an uncommon, rare or super rare item which will appear as an additional fourth drop.
- Season 1 Memory Box - Scarlet vs. Lion's Arch
- Season 1 Memory Box - Flame and Festivals
- Black Lion Salvage Kit
- Self-Style Hair Kit
- Upgrade Extractor
- Transmutation Charge (5)
- Revive Orb
- Solar and Lunar Dye Kit
- Blue Shift Dye Kit
- Vibrant Dye Kit
- Primordus Dye Kit
- Taimi's Dye Kit
- Shadow Dye Kit
- Tyrian Exchange Voucher
- Black Lion Commemorative Coin
- Teleport to Friend
- Black Lion Statuette (2)
- Large Crafting Bag (2)
- Heavy Crafting Bag (2)
- Black Lion Material Bag: Elona
- Guaranteed Weapon Unlock
- Guaranteed Armor Unlock
- Guaranteed Wardrobe Unlock
- Black Lion Miniature Claim Ticket
- Toy Miniature Egg
- Black Lion Claim Ticket Scrap
- Merciless Focus Skin
- Merciless Hammer Skin
- Merciless Greatsword Skin
- Merciless Staff Skin
- Merciless Mace Skin
- Merciless Rifle Skin
- Merciless Short Bow Skin
- Merciless Torch Skin
- Merciless Shield Skin
- Merciless Longbow Skin
- Merciless Axe Skin
- Merciless Sword Skin
- Merciless Dagger Skin
- Merciless Warhorn Skin
- Merciless Pistol Skin
- Merciless Scepter Skin
- Dragon's Jade Reaver Skin
- Dragon's Jade Kris Skin
- Dragon's Jade Cudgel Skin
- Dragon's Jade Flintlock Skin
- Dragon's Jade Truncheon Skin
- Dragon's Jade Lacerator Skin
- Dragon's Jade Aspect Skin
- Dragon's Jade Wall Skin
- Dragon's Jade Flame Skin
- Dragon's Jade Harbinger Skin
- Dragon's Jade Avenger Skin
- Dragon's Jade Warhammer Skin
- Dragon's Jade Hornbow Skin
- Dragon's Jade Blunderbuss Skin
- Dragon's Jade Needler Skin
- Dragon's Jade Quarterstaff Skin
- Black Lion Statuette (25)
- Golden Black Lion Chest Key (3)
- Advanced Leather Rack
- Advanced Cloth Rack
- Lotus Harvesting Node
- Iron Ore Mining Node
- Endless Mystery Tonic
Super rare drops
- Permanent Trading Post Express Contract
- Endless Upgrade Extractor Contract
- Permanent Black Lion Merchant Contract
- Permanent Bank Access Contract
- Endless Repair Contract
- Permanent Hair Stylist Contract
- Drop rate research can be viewed here.
- Opening a chest previously yielded you with 1 , up until the January 21, 2014 update.
- If the chest would have granted you a Wardrobe Unlock account-bound upgrade you already possess you will be granted Black Lion Keys instead; as well as being prompted with the red message 'Duplicate, account-bound unlock detected. Item has been replaced with free keys.'
- Until the update on November 1, 2016, three non-seasonal items (such as Trick or Treat Bag or Lucky Envelopes) were guaranteed.
- Chest drop tables were often altered during major or seasonal releases, either by adding release-specific categories to the three drop spread or guaranteeing additional items on top of the existing drops.
- The LWS3 Episode 6 update removed Tomes of Knowledge and Unidentified Dyes from rotation. The Black Lion Booster and Mystic Forge Stones were added as Common Drops. These were later removed as of the 2017 Wintersday Black Lion Chest update.
- Significant revisions were made to the regular Black Lion Chest items with updates to the 2017 Wintersday's Glacial Wintersday Chest, that included:
- The contents were first updated in the 25 September 2012 update, which added additional items and replaced random tonics with Mystery Tonics and its endless version.
- Prior to the June 3, 2014 update, chests were split into locked and unlocked items. Using a key converted the former into the latter which served as a container.
- Prior to the February 18, 2014 update, unlocked chests were soulbound on acquire. This patch saw this item made account bound at the request of players.
- Tradeable permanent finishers were added in the 29 September 2015 update. This patch also removed Metabolic Primer, Utility Primer, Large Guild Discovery, and Boost Enchantment Powder from the drop tables. The Metabolic Primer was re-introduced in the March 28, 2017 update as an Uncommon drop.
- As of the rework in 2016, the window to open the chest now shows the current seasonal item as well as the chest sometimes being a different color. Previously it was just a grey color with no other decorations. Additionally, contents could now be viewed and the chests were given unique names.
- Notable permanent additions include: