Stronghold of Ebonhawke
Stronghold of Ebonhawke
2 3 5 2 1
Click to enlarge.
- This section only details the recent history of Ebonhawke. For details of its origins, see the Founding.
The Stronghold of Ebonhawke is a human enclave-fort to the south of Ascalon and the one of the last remaining Ascalonian settlements. It is frequently attacked by Separatists and inhabited by many of their sympathizers.
Ebonhawke was once a small fortress, nestled in the southern juncture of Ascalon and the Blazeridge mountain range. The steep mountains on several sides provided an ideal location just north of the Crystal Desert. With the Searing, its location grew in importance, and King Adelbern of Ascalon saw it as an ultimate bastion against the charr incursions. In the end, before the Foefire, he dispatched the Ebon Vanguard there to reinforce it.
And reinforce it they did. They spread the initial fortress walls outward, continuing to build as they took more territory against the regular charr raids. They erected the mighty Hawkgates at the northern entrance to the city. They mined the hills behind the walls for stone and made more living space for the refugees from the abandoned human cities to the north. And they trained their growing populace in the dangers that stood right outside their gates, from the siege engines of the charr.
Prior to the beginning of peace negotiations between the charr and humans, ever since the fall of Ascalon City, the charr laid siege to the fortress giving no rest until now. Over time, many charr thought the fortress is not worth the effort, so only the Iron Legion and a few individual warbands continued to attack the fortress with their siege weapons. These days the fortress sees most assaults coming from within, from the human Separatists and charr Renegades unsatisfied with the truce.
In 1320 AE, Queen Jennah had the asura gate fixed after years of mismanagement and created a stronger alliance between Kryta and Ebonhawke, allowing refuge and support for those within the city fortress. During Kralkatorrik's rise, the Elder Dragon passed nearby Ebonhawke on his way to the Crystal Desert. Once he passed, the freshly corrupted branded ogres and hyenas assaulted the fortress and decimated the charr warbands who laid siege at the time. Though the joined forces of the Seraph, Ebon Vanguard, and the charr prisoners led by Logan Thackeray managed to survive the assault, one hundred and thirty-three Seraph were killed, including Logan's brother, Dylan. This event became known as the Ogre Revolt.
|The Stronghold of Ebonhawke was attacked by a large force of destroyers, led by the Destroyer of the Third Fortress in 1333 AE. The citizens were evacuated to Divinity's Reach via the asura gate. The destroyers were repelled by the Pact Commander, Imperator Crecia Stoneglow along with her Blood Legion forces, Lady Kasmeer Meade, the Ebon Vanguard and other allies.|
Locations and objectives
- Fallen Angels Garrison Waypoint —
- Hawkgates Waypoint —
- Kestrel Waypoint —
- Points of Interest
- Defender's Field —
- Kestrel Market —
- Postern Gate —
- The Hawke Heart —
- The Hawkgates —
Ebonhawke Vista —
- Head to the farms west of the vista, along the southern edge (near the moas), you'll be able to jump on a cliff; from there head east along the cliff until you reach the vista.
- Fallen Angels Garrison
- Asura Gates
- Divinity's Reach
- Defeat the escaped Separatist Leader (30) [Group Event]
- Drive Separatists out of Kestrel Market (30)
- Get the animals back in their pens (31)
- Stop the skritt from stealing Vanguard equipment (31)
- Defeat the Bloodstone Elemental Incursion (33)
- Stop the Bloodstone Elemental Incursion (33)
- Escort the Royal Messenger to Summit Peak (34)
- Delka (31)
- Gate Assistant Feddr (30)
- Gate Operator Stebben (30)
- Jok (30)
- Krewe Apprentice (30)
- Marq (31)
- Agent Kaela (31)
- SRV 3296 (31)
- "Ebon Vanguard Soldier" (31)
- Agent Dorian (31)
- Alita Lawrence (31)
- Angry Farmer (31)
- Barmaid (31)
- Bartender (31)
- Beggar (30)
- Blacksmith (31)
- Citizen (30-31)
- Elwin Fairchild (30)
- Ebon Vanguard Archer (30-31)
- Ebon Vanguard Soldier (30-31)
- Ebon Vanguard Warrior (30-31)
- Fallen Angel Erod (31)
- Fallen Angel Gretel (31)
- Fallen Angel Raquel (31)
- Fallen Angel Soldier (30-31)
- Farmer (31)
- Farmhand Morgaine (31)
- Fhil Stonefist (31)
- Fianna (30)
- Foreman Carra (30)
- Gregold (30)
- Groundskeeper (31)
- Hunter (30)
- Kristina (30)
- Lady Maddigan (30)
- Landscaper Aaron (31)
- Lieutenant Davel (31)
- Local (30)
- Lynie (30)
- Markal (30)
- Noble (30-31)
- Old Man (30)
- Old Woman (30)
- Priest of Balthazar (30)
- Priest of Grenth (30)
- Priest of Lyssa (30)
- Priest of Dwayna (30)
- Priestess of Kormir (30)
- Priestess of Melandru (30)
- Priory Historian (30)
- Prison Guard (30)
- Seraph Archer (30)
- Sergeant Mathony Porter (30)
- Vanguard Benni (31)
- Vanguard Captain Fairbanks (30)
- Vanguard Soldier Erith (31)
- Vanguard Trainee (31)
- Veteran Vanguard Trainee (31)
- Villager (31)
- Wade Samuelsson (31)
- Waitress (31)
- Zinka (31)
- Belligerent Drunk (30)
- Brendha (31)
- Crusader Galth (30)
- Farmhand Albin (31)
- Hunter (30)
- Susanah (30)
- Farmhand Linaria (31)
- Cadet Krysta
- Cadet Ostin
- Cadet Rashell
- Clareen Taylor
- Commander Varalyn (31)
- Fallen Angel Makayla
- Jordi Laysmith
- Trevas Reever
- Ubbi Skarsgard
- Vanguard Blacksmith Rob
- Vanguard Moeller
- Angry Farmer: I was born inside these walls. I'm probably going to die trapped inside them.
- Angry Farmer: If the charr think they can come here, me and my meat cleaver will tell them otherwise.
- Angry Farmer: Whaddya know? Another problem.
- Child: When I grow up, I'm going to be brave hero!
- Child: I saw this hunter who had a doggie. It was bigger than me, and it said, "Woof!"
- Elwin Fairchild: Hey, did you miss me? (Directed towards a group of citizens)
- Elwin Fairchild: (laughing)
- Elwin Fairchild: You know why the charr agreed to the cease-fire, right?
- Citizen: They knew they could never beat us.
- Elwin Fairchild: I wish. They're in the middle of a civil war and can't afford a second front.
- Citizen: In that case we should push our advantage, not negotiate.
- Elwin Fairchild: Can we talk for a minute? (Directed toward another group of citizens)
- Elwin Fairchild: You know the best part about this treaty?
- Citizen: The charr will stop trying to kill us?
- Elwin Fairchild: That, too. But now we won't have to rely on Divinity's Reach for everything.
- Citizen: We can finally get out from beneath the queen's thumb and run our own lives.
- Elwin Fairchild: (sneezing) Uses "surprised" emote. The other citizens laugh.
- Elwin Fairchild: Better get moving
- Fianna: Oh, yeah. That's right.
- Fianna: Did you see that norn come through here the other day? Now that's a man!
- Fianna: Where did he...Oh he's probably down at the pub again.
- Separatist Sympathizer: The Separatists are right. If we sign this treaty, we'll become traitors to our own heritage.
- Separatist Sympathizer: Listen to me! My uncles died in the sieges. Queen Jennah can choke on that treaty.
- Separatist Sympathizer: Queen Jennah never suffered through our war. The Separatists are right. No treaty. Not now, not ever!
- Separatist Sympathizer: No peace! Not while our dead go unavenged!
- Separatist Sympathizer: The charr won't be happy until we're all dead. Stand with the Separatists!
- Separatist Sympathizer: Stand with the Separatists! No queen will tell us what to do.
- Separatist Sympathizer: Do you think the charr will just leave after the treaty? Arm yourselves! Fight for your survival.
- Fallen Angel Soldier: Head that way!
- Citizen: I wish I had hair like a Sylvari.
- Citizen: That Caudecus the Wise, I like him. Good head on his shoulders, he has.
- Citizen: Dragons? Bah! Never seen 'em. All fantasy if you ask me.
- Citizen: I'd take a strong Ebonhawke ale over watery Divinity beer any day.
- Barmaid: You can taste a difference?
- Citizen: It's all about the soil. We got good soil here.
- Citizen: That's what we're fighting for, isn't it? This is our soil. Our land. Our ale!
- Citizen: Two hundred and fifty years, give or take. Two hundred and fifty years!
- Barmaid: Here we go again.
- Citizen: These walls have stood against the charr since 1080. Why are we giving up now?
- Barmaid: No more for you, today. Go home and dry out.
- Bartender: I don't like this treaty idea. I don't like it one bit.
- Barmaid: Look at it this way: peace will mean more business.
- Bartender: Hmmph. I ain't serving no charr in my place, you can count on that.
- Barmaid: You may have to. Besides their gold is the same color as ours.
- Bartender: Well, you can clean up the hairballs.
- Gate Operator Stebben: The matrix capacitor seems to be going out of alignment.
- Gate Assistant Feddr: (mumble)...and if I adjust the latency of the matrix capacitor...
- Gate Assistant Feddr: For science!
- Gate Assistant Feddr: Operator! There's a ripple in the portal! It's destabilizing!"
- Gate Operator Stebben: Hmm..."
- Gate Operator Stebben: Ah ha! The gate fixator projection has been reversed!"
- Gate Operator Stebben: I have solved the case, yet again!"
- Worker: Most intriguing...
- Worker: If we increase the sympathetic resonance, perhaps the power output can be boosted.
- Worker (1): (laugh)
- Worker (2): By the gods, no! You're wasting all the ale! Now I'm going to waste you!
- Prison Guard: (laugh)
- Prison Guard: That's the last time I listen to your advice.
- Vanguard Benni: Relax. You'll live longer.
- "Ebon Vanguard Soldier": Tell no one of this place, or what you see here.
- Markal: (Humming)
- Lorro: My Krewe is on the verge of a breakthrough.
- Lieutenant Davel: All right, men. Listen up. I don't want my soldiers tired or hungry out on duty. Take a break and grab some rations before your next patrol.
- Vanguard Soldier Erith: I'm not on the duty roster today, sir. I'd like to stay and train some more.
- Lieutenant Davel: Very well. Keep an eye on things, soldier.
- Vanguard Benni: What's the racket? Ugh, I was trying to sleep...Whoa!
- Lieutenant Davel: Skritt! I'll hold the line here. Go find help.
- Vanguard Benni: Yes, sir!
- Book Cart
- Concealed Door
- Damaged Thumper Turret
- Damaged Turret
- Gwen's Grave
- Memorial Plaque
- Pipe Organ - behind nobles on a balcony near the vista
- Separatist Propaganda
- Suspicious Door
- Thyst's Grave
- Woodworking Bench
- The fastest (and cheapest) way to get to Ebonhawke with a new character is to go to Divinity's Reach through an asura gate, then through the Ebonhawke asura gate in Rurikton.
- The Speedy Reader Explorer achievement is earned here.
- The Cleaning Up the Neighborhood Explorer achievement is earned here.
- A Guild Banker named Sarleon used to be here but was removed in 2015.
- The crafting stations in this zone display some unique characteristics. Unusual names are used and a simple "Use" dialog is displayed when approaching the station instead of displaying the name of the station.
- A Mastery Insight located in this area can be seen as an icon in the world map. However, this insight cannot be interacted with in the open world Fields of Ruin because it is tied to The Icebrood Saga Episode 5: Champions; it can only be communed with in Dragon Response Mission: Fields of Ruin instanced mission.
- The Defender's Field holds the graves of multiple NPCs from Guild Wars.
- Near the farms at the southeastern end there are several chickens which may be attacked, but cannot die. Each chicken attacked will result in 3 hostile Angry Chickens spawning. These angry chickens have a high armor rating along the lines of a Champion. This is likely a reference to what occurs if you attack chickens in many of the games found in The Legend of Zelda series.
- In memory of Wynthyst, an active Wiki editor and recognized contributor, ArenaNet built a new grave in the Ebonhawke cemetery, where a drakehound and a tameable juvenile lynx stand respectfully nearby.