Some items, like Essence of Luck, give a magic find bonus. This attribute increases the chance for every character on your account to find high-quality loot on defeated foes.
— Magic Find
Magic Find is both an account bonus and a character attribute that increases the chance to receive higher-quality loot from slain foes. With a few exceptions, it does not affect containers (including champion loot bags), chests, Meta events (including World boss Events), or any other source of loot.
These special items are affected by magic find:
- Containers received from reward tracks, generally called "Loot box" or "cache", which simulate loot drops from the named NPC.
- Chests and containers specifically mentioned to be affected by it, such as:
There are three components of Magic Find: an account-wide bonus (maximized at 300%), achievement based bonuses (up to 36%) —both of which apply to all characters on the account— and a character-specific attribute based on consumable items and enrichments.
- Primary article: achievement rewards
There are two ways to increase the account bonus for magic find.
- For every 500 achievement points earned on an account, a set of achievement rewards is unlocked that includes an increase to account bonuses. Magic Find receives a 1% increase starting at 500 and every 2,500 thereafter; an additional 1% is awarded starting at 5,000 and every 5,000 thereafter.
- Filling the Luck bar will increase Magic Find by 1%. The amount of Luck needed increases for each subsequent percentage point. Luck is gained by consuming Essences of Luck, which can be obtained by salvaging fine and masterwork equipment and Globs of Ectoplasm or received as a part of the login rewards system. A few achievements, such as Anomalous Results, also award Essences of Luck.
The Magic Find attribute is calculated based on the account bonus, luck, and temporary buffs.
|Achievement Rewards bonus||0-24%+||The upper limit for magic find from this source increases as more achievements are added to the game.|
|Magic Find Boost|| Magic Find Booster
Communal Boost Bonfire
Enchanted Reward Boost
Hallows Fortune Fireworks
Dragon's Fortune Fireworks
|50%||1 h||Obtaining the effect from multiple sources will stack duration.|
Kite Fortune version is randomly obtained and lasts 10 m.
|Item Booster|| Item Booster
Item Booster (masterwork)
|Laurel Item Booster (masterwork) effect is equivalent to the Item Booster and does not stack, but will extend duration.|
|Celebration Bonus|| Birthday Booster
|Also boosts XP and gold from kills, karma, and WXP.|
|Black Lion Boost||Black Lion Booster||100%||30 min||Also boosts XP, gold from kills, and PvP/WVW reward track gain.|
|Guild upgrades and banners|
|Guild Item Research||Guild Magic Find||3-10%||Infinite||Requires guild representation to purchase.|
|Guild Item Research||Guild Magic Find Banner||10%||30 m||Gained by interacting with the banner. Is overwritten by Guild Magic Find Banner Boost.|
|Guild Magic Find Banner Boost|| Guild Gold and Magic Find Banner
Guild Heroes Banner
|15%||30 m||Gained by interacting with the banner. Overwrites Guild Item Research.|
|Spirit Banner Boost||Spirit Banner||10%||30 m||Gained by interacting with the banner. Stacks with guild banner buffs.|
|World versus world|
|Guild Objective Aura VIII||Objective Aura 8: Magic Find||20%||All characters in the vicinity of a WvW objective of your realm claimed by the guild.|
|Presence of the Keep||Presence of the Keep||20%||All characters in the vicinity of a Keep with the Improvement active.|
|Outnumbered||Automatic||20%||Applied to all characters in a map when their world is greatly underrepresented on that map.|
|Magical Enrichment||20%||Must be attached to a enrichment slot on an ascended amulet equipped by the character.|
|Perseverance||30%||1 h||Gain one stack when you enter the Silverwastes and an additional stack each time you complete an event there, up to 5 stacks (+150% MF). Removed when you leave the instance. Bonus is momentarily doubled when opening Lost Bandit Chests.|
|Hero of the Wastes||50%||Map change.||Successfully defeat the Vinewrath within the Silverwastes. Earn Bonus Bandit Crests. Removed upon leaving the map.|
|Perseverance||25%||2 h||Gain one stack when you complete a Renown Heart in Ember Bay, up to 5 stacks (+125% MF). Removed when you leave the instance.|
|Luck of Kings||5%||2 h||Gain one stack by participating in the Orrian Shrine Power Grid meta event in Siren's Landing. Multiple stacks can be gained. Removed upon leaving the map.|
|Explorer's Glow||10%||3 h||Gained from standing near Priory Historian Elisa's bonfire after Gather wood for the fire for a Magic Find boost (80) has been completed. Removed when you leave the instance.|
|Boon of the Wishing Well||6%||30 m||Chance to gain one stack when offering coins to the Wishing Well in the Domain of Vabbi, up to 5 stacks (+30% MF). Removed when you leave the instance.|
|Ace Racer||25%||15 m||Acquired by completing the race in the Mad King's Labyrinth during Halloween, Divinity's Reach during Lunar New Year, or the Labyrinthine Cliffs or Crown Pavilion during the Festival of the Four Winds. Removed when you leave the instance.|
|Call of the Mists||Automatic||100%||Earn increased rewards in PvP during community events! Applies while in Heart of the Mists or any PvP match.|
|Call of War||Automatic||50%||Earn increased rewards in WvW during events!|
|Greater Call of the Mists||Automatic||200%||Earn increased rewards in PvP during World Tournament Series! Applies while in Heart of the Mists or any PvP match.|
|Mist War Summons||Automatic||50%||Applied to all characters during WvW special events. Only applies in WvW.|
|Memories of Home||Automatic||15%||Applied to all characters upon entering a map during the Lunar New Year.|
|Extra Life Bonus||Automatic||5%||7 stacks applied account-wide after the conclusion of the 2018 Extra Life event.|
|Extra Life Bonus||Automatic||5%||10 stacks applied account-wide after the conclusion of the 2019 Extra Life event.|
|Event Bonus||Automatic||30%||Given to all characters during the Welcome Back event.|
Only 1 food effect can be active at a time. Where noted, the magic find bonus is only active while under the effect of a boon.
|Caramel Apple||3%||30 m||10||1|
|Candied Apple||3%||30 m||5||1|
|Onion Ring||4%||15 m||0|
|Bowl of Apple Sauce||4%||30 m||0|
|Cinnamon Apple||4%||30 m||0|
|Blueberry Tart||4%||30 m||5|
|Meat Pie||4%||30 m||5|
|Eggs Beetletun||4%||60 m||0|
|Chocolate Banana||7%||30 m||15||1|
|Strawberries and Biscuits||10%||30 m||15|
|Lemon Bar||10%||30 m||20|
|Strawberry Tart||10%||30 m||20|
|Clam Cake||10%||30 m||25|
|Candy Corn Cake||10%||30 m||20|
|Strawberry Ghost||10%||30 m||25||1|
|Birthday Blaster||15%||10 m||0||+40 to all attributes
|Yam Fritter||18%||30 m||30||+40 Condition Damage|
|Cherry Tart||18%||30 m||35||+40 power|
|Cherry Almond Bar||18%||30 m||40||+10% gold find|
|Piece of Candy Corn Almond Brittle||18%||30 m||45||+10% gold find|
|Bowl of Refugee's Beet Soup||20%||30 m||80||+100 toughness|
|Bowl of Zesty Turnip Soup||20%||30 m||80||+100 vitality|
|Chickpea Fritter||22%||30 m||50||+50 condition damage|
|Orange Coconut Bar||22%||30 m||50||+20% gold find|
|Ginger Pear Tart||22%||30 m||50||+50 power|
|Glazed Pear Tart||22%||30 m||55||+50 power|
|Chocolate Cherry||24%||30 m||30||+50 Concentration||1|
|Eggplant Fritter||26%||30 m||60||+60 condition damage|
|Peach Tart||26%||30 m||70||+60 power|
|Raspberry Peach Bar||26%||30 m||70||+30% gold find|
|Glazed Peach Tart||26%||30 m||75||+60 power|
|Chocolate Orange||28%||30 m||45||+60 Concentration||1|
|Dragonfly Cupcake||30%||30 m||80||+70 power|
|Cup of Lotus Fries||30%||30 m||80||+70 condition damage|
|Omnomberry Bar||30%||30 m||80||+40% gold find|
|Omnomberry Tart||30%||30 m||80||+70 power|
|Peppermint Omnomberry Bar||30%||30 m||80||+40% gold find
|Spicy Pumpkin Cookie||30%||30 m||80||+70 condition damage|
|Chocolate Raspberry Cream||32%||30 m||65||+80 Concentration||1|
|Chocolate Omnomberry Cream||40%||30 m||80||+100 Concentration||1|
|All Ascended feasts||20%||1 hr||80||Depends on feast|
Maximizing magic find
The following persistent bonuses can be combined to maximize a character's personal magic find. This does not include location or time-specific bonuses such as Perseverance, Call of the Mists, or Memories of Home.
- A Q&A session with Isiah Cartwright revealed the way Magic Find works: "Everytime you kill a monster you roll on a number of tables, inside these tables are different rarity categories. Magic find increases the chances you will get higher categories. For example if there is a 1 in 10 category, and you have 200% magic find you will have 3/10 chances to get that category. This improves not just the rarity of the items you get but can also improve your chances at getting trophies and rare crafting materials like lodestones."
- According to player research: "It apparently takes 1000% Magic Find to double your chances of receiving a higher tier item. Not 100% as may be expected and implied by prior quotes on the subject. It also implies that at 1000% you should stop getting junk as drops."
- The constantly refreshing passive Aegis effect Guardians have counts as a boon. As such, food with a magic find bonus that requires a boon to be active is especially useful to them.