A chest is an environmental object that gives coin, equipment, crafting materials, and upgrade components. They are located throughout Tyria and come in different shapes and sizes. Normal chests can be found in fairly easy to reach places.
Rewards chests such as Splendid Chests are more difficult to reach and provide greater rewards. Boss chests often provide the greatest rewards and spawn after the completion of epic meta events that involve many players. Most jumping puzzles have a chest at the end as a reward. Players of any level can open a chest, but can be interrupted if attacked.
Prefixed chests are much less common than normal chests and provide higher value loot and a greater number of items. They will often contain upgrade components. These chests typically act as rewards for a multitude of activities including meta events, jumping puzzles, Explorer achievements, dungeons and Mini-dungeons, and so on. In general, these chests are found in harder to reach areas and specific requirements and provide greater rewards than normal chests. They also reset after a given amount of time, similar to their normal counterparts.
Not all chests are static chests found throughout the world. Whenever killing a creature yields loot of at least rare quality, a small Wooden Chest appears on the ground instead of the sparkling creature's body. A chest containing the Skritt Burglar can randomly appear in a number of locations all over Tyria.
For a complete list of the types of chests that exist in Tyria, see Category:Chests.
Boss chests provide up to 5 rewards of various quality. An example would be the Dragon Chest after the Shatterer and Tequatl the Sunless events. These contain one universal upgrade, jewels, and equipment.
After completing certain events, characters level 39 and above will receive a bonus item of rare or exotic quality, in addition to being able to loot a boss chest. These items will appear with a chest icon in the lower-right portion of your screen. For each event, your account can only receive one such bonus each day. The UI will display up to three unclaimed chests, including the ones from map completion or the daily. If a fourth bonus chest is earned while the first three float in the UI, it will appear after you claim the items from any of the first three. Any additional bonus chests beyond the fourth one will be automatically accepted into your inventory when you exit the game or enter World vs World. Only 20 bonus chests can be in the queue; if a 21st chest enters the queue, chest contents will automatically enter your inventory.
- Several events spawn a huge chest, but do not reward a bonus chest:
- Kill the Branded devourer queen (59) [Group Event]
- Meta event
- Jumping puzzle
- List of basic chests
- Splendid Chest
- Grand Chest
- Glorious Chest
- Magnificent Chest
- Trade Caches - (Path of Fire only)
- Buried Locked Chest (Dry Top)
- Lost Bandit Chest (The Silverwastes)
- Airship Cargo (Verdant Brink)
- Exalted Chest (Auric Basin) - spawn under Tarir, the Forgotten City following the successful completion of the meta-event
- Crystallized Supply Cache (Tangled Depths)
- Noxious Pod (Dragon's Stand) - small numbers appear as the meta event progresses and a large number spawn around the map following the successful completion of the meta-event for 10 minutes, then despawn
- Icebound Chest (Bitterfrost Frontier) - requires Koda's Flame mastery to open
- Zinn's Stash (Draconis Mons) - requires Ancient Asuran Power Sources to uncover
- Waterlogged Chest (Siren's Landing)
- Chest (Domain of Vabbi)
- Dungeon chests used to drop dungeon tokens until they were removed due to exploits.
- Daily chests with an increased drop rate in exotic and precursor weapons were introduced in the 26 February 2013 update. They included a guaranteed rare or better weapon that was moved to a Bonus Chest in the 26 March 2013 update.