Some items you'll find will be salvageable. Use a salvage kit to break them down into crafting materials.
To salvage an item, double-click on a salvage kit, then click on the item to be salvaged. If the item stacks, such as salvage items, you can repeatedly salvage items from the stack. Alternatively, right-clicking the salvage kit allows it to automatically salvage items of Fine rarity or lower, Masterwork rarity or lower, or Rare rarity, starting at the top of your inventory. Higher quality kits have a greater chance to receive a higher-tier crafting material than normal. Items can also be salvaged for their upgrade component. Higher quality kits also give a greater chance to recover the component while salvaging an item. Players will always receive a common crafting material.
What can be salvaged
Four types of items can be salvaged:
- Equipment - weapons, armor (including breathing apparatuses), back items, and trinkets
- Salvage items
- Runes and Sigils
These items cannot be salvaged:
- Some starting equipment
- Items soulbound to another character
- Equipment bought with
- Equipment received from level rewards or a Level-80 Equipment Package
- Some equipment from story rewards, such as the masterwork weapons in Order weapon containers.
Equipment bought with Badges of Honor can be salvaged, but only return a random and lesser amount of badges. (Globs of Ectoplasm and crafting materials cannot be obtained.)
The level or tier of the crafting material received from salvaging depends on the level of the item. Salvage items will give crafting material appropriate for the level of the item. The exact results of any salvaging attempt vary, and the salvage kit used will affect the random result.
- By item type
- Light armor produces cloth scraps
- Medium armor produces leather scraps
- Heavy armor produces ore (but not Silver or Gold)
- Weapons can produce either ore (but not Silver or Gold) or logs, depending on weapon type:
- Trinkets produce ore (but not Iron)
- Runes produce Lucent Motes and a small chance of charms
- Sigils produce Lucent Motes and a small chance of symbols
- By item quality
- Fine or better items can produce Essences of Luck
- Rare or better items can produce Globs of Ectoplasm, at level 68 or higher.
- Exotic or better items can produce Globs of Ectoplasm and Globs of Dark Matter, at level 68 or higher. Exotic weapons and armor with non-craftable prefixes also have a chance to produce an inscription or insignia for that prefix.
- Ascended items can produce Balls of Dark Energy, Stabilizing Matrices, and other items unique to the equipment type.
- Salvage rate research
Ascended equipment does not salvage into materials (such as Ectoplasm or cloth scraps) as described above, instead rarely salvaging into crafting components. For instance, an Elonian Shoulderguard Panel (rather than an Elonian Leather Square) could be received from a Zojja's Shoulderguard.
Ascended equipment can only be salvaged with either of the following salvage kits:
Each type of gear offers a different set of possible drops when salvaged.
- Lesser Vision Crystal (most armor) or Vision Crystal (body-slot armor & weapons); always drops
- Ascended Insignia (Crafted armor only) or Ascended Inscription (Crafted weapons only); rare drop
- Salvaged Greatness (Armor) or Salvaged Puissance (Weapons); very rare chance
- Crafted components, such as Elonian Shoulderguard Panel (Crafted only); very rare chance
- Stabilizing Matrix; more if Infused and/or Attuned (see below for details)
- +1 Agony Infusion (very rare chance)
- Salvaged Grandeur (astronomically low chance)
- Ascended trinkets excluding rings
- Stabilizing Matrix (0-20; 0-3 is typical)
- +1 Agony Infusion (5-9)
- Salvaged Dignity (Backpacks only; astronomically low chance)
- Salvaged Excellence (Amulets only; astronomically low chance)
- Salvaged Brilliance (Accessories only; astronomically low chance)
Drops specific to gear type or source
Each type of ascended gear can additionally drop various materials when salvaged:
- Every ring drops one stack of 2-5, 10 or 20 Stabilizing Matrices, with lower quantities being more common. The average is around 4.
- Attuned rings drop an additional stack of 1-2 Stabilizing Matrices, usually just 1.
- Infused rings drop an additional stack of 1-5, 10 or 20 Stabilizing Matrices, with lower quantities being more common. The average is around 3.
- If it is both Attuned and Infused, it drops three stacks altogether, for an average total around 8.
- The averages are estimated based on player reports. See Ball of Dark Energy/Salvage Rate for details.
- Ball of Dark Energy (see above)
- except for Rings (which drop the matrices, as above).
- Items bought with Unbound Magic
- These are guaranteed to drop 500 Unbound Magic, in addition to the drops above. Similarly, Siren's Landing backpacks bought with Karma and Orrian Pearls (these are one of the few karma-bought items that can be salvaged).
- Raid-specific gear
- These are guaranteed to drop 60 Magnetite Shards or 60 Gaeting Crystals, depending on the item's origin. This is in addition to any drops noted above.
- For example, Assaulter's Sparking Vanquisher dropped in Wing 1 will always salvage to 60 magnetite shards.