To salvage an item, double-click on a salvage kit, then click on the item to be salvaged. If the item stacks, such as salvage items, you can repeatedly salvage items from the stack. Alternatively, right-clicking the salvage kit allows it to automatically salvage items of Fine rarity or lower, Masterwork rarity or lower, or Rare rarity, starting at the top of your inventory. Higher quality kits have a greater chance to receive a higher-tier crafting material than normal. Items can also be salvaged for their upgrade component. Higher quality kits also give a greater chance to recover the component while salvaging an item. Players will always receive a common crafting material.
What can be salvaged
Four types of items can be salvaged:
- Equipment - weapons, armor (including breathing apparatuses), back items, and trinkets
- Salvage items
- Runes and Sigils
These items cannot be salvaged:
- Some starting equipment
- Items normally salvageable, but are soulbound to a deleted character
- Equipment bought with
- Equipment received from level rewards or a Level-80 Equipment Package
Equipment bought with Badges of Honor can be salvaged, but only return a random and lesser amount of badges. (Globs of Ectoplasm and crafting materials cannot be obtained.)
The level or tier of the crafting material received from salvaging depends on the level of the item. Salvage items will give crafting material appropriate for the level of the area from which they were obtained.
- Globs of Ectoplasm are special crafting materials that have a chance to be obtained from salvaging Rare and Exotic items in addition to normal crafting materials and upgrade components.
- Globs of Dark Matter can additionally be obtained from salvaging exotic items.
Items with a level requirement of 68 or above are substantially more likely to yield Ectoplasm and Dark Matter, and higher quality kits yield more on average.
- By item type
- Light armor produces cloth scraps
- Medium armor produces leather scraps
- Heavy armor produces ore (but not Silver or Gold)
- Weapons can produce either ore (but not Silver or Gold) or logs, depending on weapon type:
- Trinkets produce ore (but not Iron)
- By item quality
- Fine or Masterwork items can produce Essences of Luck
- Rare items can produce Globs of Ectoplasm, with a substantially higher chance at a level requirement of 68 or higher.
- Exotic items can produce Globs of Ectoplasm and Globs of Dark Matter, with a substantially higher chance at a level requirement of 68 or higher. Exotic weapons and armor with non-craftable prefixes also have a chance to produce an inscription or insignia for that prefix.
- Ascended items can produce Balls of Dark Energy, Stabilizing Matrices, and other items unique to the equipment type.
Ascended equipment does not salvage into materials (such as Ectoplasm or cloth scraps) as described above, instead rarely salvaging into crafting components. For instance, an Elonian Shoulderguard Panel (rather than an Elonian Leather Square) could be received from a Zojja's Shoulderguard.
- Salvage kits
Ascended equipment requires a special salvage kit for salvaging ascended equipment.
- Item-specific drops
- Ascended rings can be salvaged for 2-42 Stabilizing Matrices.
- All rings drop one stack of 2-5 (rarely 10, VERY rarely 20) Stabilizing Matrices. (average 4.0 - 44 items)
- If the ring is Attuned, it drops another stack of 1 (sometimes 2) Stabilizing Matrix. (average 1.1 - 44 items)
- If the ring is Infused, it drops another stack of 1-5 (rarely 10, VERY rarely 20) Stabilizing Matrices. (average 3.1 - 24 items)
- Ascended equipment excluding rings can be salvaged for Ball of Dark Energy.
- Salvaging items bought with Unbound Magic will award 500 Unbound Magic. This also true for the Siren's Landing backpacks bought with Karma and Orrian Pearls (which, despite being bought with Karma, can be Salvaged)
- Salvaging Raid specific drops like Assaulter's Sparking Vanquisher will additionally award 60 Magnetite Shards or 60 Gaeting Crystals depending on the item's origin.
- Armor and weapons
- Ascended trinkets excluding rings
- Salvage rates