Skill points used to be the mechanism through which characters unlocked slot skills. Skill points and skill challenges have been replaced by hero points and hero challenges respectively.
1 skill point was earned for each of the following:
- Completing a skill challenge
- Past level 80, for every 254,000 experience points earned (one level).
- Dessa's Experiment Journal (purchased for 35 Fractal Relics)
- Scroll of Knowledge
5 skill points were earned for:
- Using Sea of Sorrows gained from the History Buff achievement
- 8 skill points were earned at levels 20, 26 and 32.
- 7 skill points were earned at levels 38, 44, 50 and 56.
- 6 skill points were earned at levels 62, 68, 74 and 80.
To learn a skill, players would open the Hero panel, select the Skills and Traits tab on the left, then select Slot Skills. Each locked skill would display its skill point cost, ranging from 1 skill point for tier 1 utility skills up to 30 skill points for tier 2 elite skills. Clicking on a skill icon and then clicking the "Confirm" button would unlock it.
|1st profession skill||Free|
|2nd profession skill||1|
|3rd profession skill
|4th profession skill||25|
Miyani sells materials required by certain Mystic Forge recipes:
|Siege Master's Guide||1||1|
Note that these items are now purchased from Miyani with spirit shards.
- Primary article: Trait guide
Trait guides were purchasable from profession trainers. Each trainer offered 65 different trait guides, one for every major trait of that profession.
Removal and replacement
Skill points were removed in the June 23, 2015 game update, with two of their main uses being replaced by two new currencies:
- Hero points are now used for unlocking skills.
- Spirit Shards replaced skill points for purchasing Mystic Forge items from Miyani.
- The third use of skill points became obsolete as trait guides were also removed from the game in this update.
Existing skill points were converted as follows:
- Skill points earned through level rewards or skill challenges (now known as hero challenges) were discarded.
- All remaining skill points, along with unused Scrolls of Knowledge in character or account inventories, were converted to Spirit Shards and deposited into the account wallet.
- The character was then allocated the number of hero points that they would have received under the newly introduced level rewards, plus one hero point per hero challenge already completed.
- The introduction of specializations organized the unlocking of skills and traits into linear tracks. Some skills were removed and some new ones were added. Due to this, all previously unlocked skills and traits were reset. Using the new system, the update then attempted to unlock a similar set of skills and traits to what the character previously had unlocked.
- Skill point acquisition from leveling before the September 2014 feature pack was one per character level.
- It took between 223 and 232 skill points to learn all the available slot skills for one character, depending on the profession and race combination. Notably, norn characters needed the most due to an additional racial elite skill available to them.