A crafting material is an item used for crafting; they can be acquired through gathering, looting, salvaging, or purchased from vendors. The term also includes certain crafted items, such as refined materials (e.g. Bronze Ingots).
Acquiring crafting materials
There are several different ways you can obtain crafting materials:
- Gathering — Resource nodes are found randomly around the world. Ore veins are mined with picks, trees are logged with axes, and other plants are harvested with sickles.
- Looting — You have a chance of finding appropriate crafting materials such as hides or trophies when you loot slain enemies.
- Purchasing — Some specialist merchants sell ingredients.
- Salvaging — Available from merchants, salvage kits allow you to salvage crafting materials out of old or unwanted items.
- Crafting — Some materials are acquired by crafting them from other raw materials.
- Other players — You can find other players to trade for materials or buy them from the Trading Post.
Most crafting materials can be stored in your account's shared Material Storage using one of three methods:
- By using the inventory window's "Deposit All Materials" option; this transfers all materials except those located in an invisible bag.
- By right-clicking the individual item and choosing "Deposit Material."
- While at a bank or using a crafting station's material storage tab, drag the item from inventory to material storage (or double-click it).
To retrieve the items, you must be at a bank or crafting station.
Some items traditionally considered to be crafting materials cannot be stored in the Material Storage tab, such as Mystic Crystals and other specialty items (e.g. Feldspar Cores). Intermediary crafting items, such as components, also cannot be stored here.
List of crafting materials
Basic crafting materials
Basic crafting materials are the items used to create every other item through crafting by being made into components such as Longbow Staves, Axe Blades, Focus Cores, etc.
- Scraps, ores, leather sections, and logs are the raw materials that are commonly found through looting, salvaging, or harvesting.
- Bolts, ingots, leather squares, and planks are refined materials that are produced at a crafting station from raw materials.
- Spools of thread can currently only be acquired by purchase through vendors found at the crafting stations (usually a Master or Apprentice of that crafting discipline) and are used to make Embroidered Insignia and various armor components.
- Alloying lumps are materials that are also only available through purchase from crafting station vendors. They are used, together with another ore, to make alloys such as Bronze, Steel, and Darksteel that are then used in crafting various weapons, armors, and storage boxes.
- Miscellaneous items, such as flax seeds, lumps of glass, and dye pigments.
- Primary article: Mystic Forge/Material Promotion
Intermediate crafting materials
Intermediate crafting materials are mostly crafting materials which have been looted from enemy corpses and are used as activators in the crafting of insignia and inscriptions, as well as (Simple) variants of weapons and armor.
|Intermediate Crafting Materials|
|Bones||Claws||Dust||Fangs||Scales||Totems||Venom Sacs||Vials of Blood|
|Tier 1||Bone Chip||Tiny Claw||Pile of Glittering Dust||Tiny Fang||Tiny Scale||Tiny Totem||Tiny Venom Sac||Vial of Weak Blood|
|Tier 2||Bone Shard||Small Claw||Pile of Shimmering Dust||Small Fang||Small Scale||Small Totem||Small Venom Sac||Vial of Thin Blood|
|Tier 3||Bone||Claw||Pile of Radiant Dust||Fang||Scale||Totem||Venom Sac||Vial of Blood|
|Tier 4||Heavy Bone||Sharp Claw||Pile of Luminous Dust||Sharp Fang||Smooth Scale||Engraved Totem||Full Venom Sac||Vial of Thick Blood|
|Tier 5||Large Bone||Large Claw||Pile of Incandescent Dust||Large Fang||Large Scale||Intricate Totem||Potent Venom Sac||Vial of Potent Blood|
|Tier 6||Ancient Bone||Vicious Claw||Pile of Crystalline Dust||Vicious Fang||Armored Scale||Elaborate Totem||Powerful Venom Sac||Vial of Powerful Blood|
|Misc.||Karka Shell||Watchwork Sprocket||Blade Shard||Vial of Linseed Oil||Piece of Mother-of-Pearl||Leaf Fossil||Barbed Thorn||Pile of Coarse Sand|
|Shimmering Crystal||Tenebrous Crystal|
- Primary article: Mystic_Forge/Material_Promotion
Advanced crafting materials
Advanced crafting materials includes Rare or better quality materials, many of which are used in the crafting of runes and sigils. Most of them can be found as direct loot from enemies or in loot bags (both very uncommon). Also included are materials used to craft release-specific items and Legendary gear.
- Primary article: Mystic_Forge/Material_Promotion
Mists Essences can be promoted to higher tiers (at a 5:1 ratio) in the Mystic Forge using a Mystic Coin, Glob of Ectoplasm, and Pile of Crystalline Dust. They can also be demoted to lower tiers (at a 1:3 ratio) by substituting a Master's Salvage Kit (with full uses remaining) for the ectoplasm.
Resonating materials can be promoted to higher tiers (at a 3:1 ratio) by Scribes. They may also be demoted to lower tiers (at a 1:3 ratio) via salvaging.
Ascended crafting materials
Ascended crafting materials (also referred to as tier 7 materials) are crafting materials used for crafting ascended equipment. All ascended materials are of ascended quality. The materials are refined from basic crafting materials, correlating to metal, wood, leather, or cloth. Recipes related to these materials start at crafting level 450 to the maximum of 500.
- Ectoplasm Refinement
Basic crafting materials can be refined into ascended crafting materials in two steps to create metal, wood, leather, or cloth required for ascended equipment. The recipes to create the raw ascended material are categorized as ectoplasm refinement, requiring the tier 5 basic crafting material. The name comes from the requirement of Glob of Ectoplasm in the recipe. It's important to note the step 1 related materials are time gated and resets daily. These materials can also be traded on the Trading Post, unlike other ascended materials. The purpose of the time gate and availability on the Trading Post is to create a demand in the economy. The refinement step requires tier 2, 3, and 4 basic crafting materials and the raw material for the related type of material obtained from ectoplasm refinement.
|Step 1||Lump of Mithrillium||Glob of Elder Spirit Residue||Spool of Thick Elonian Cord||Spool of Silk Weaving Thread|
|Step 2|| Deldrimor Steel Ingot
Carbonized Mithrillium Ingot
Xunlai Electrum Ingot
| Spiritwood Plank
Composite Wood Board
| Elonian Leather Square
Blended Leather Sheet
| Bolt of Damask |
Square of Vabbian Silk
- Obsidian Refinement
Obsidian refinement materials are primarily used in crafting the Vision Crystal and Crystalline Ingot. The basic materials are obtained from a variety of activities across PvE and WvW. The name comes from the requirement of Obsidian Shards in the recipe. Pile of Bloodstone Dust is also used in crafting infused equipment and other recipes.
|Unrefined||Pile of Bloodstone Dust||Dragonite Ore||Empyreal Fragment|| Bottle of Airship Oil |
Pile of Auric Dust
Ley Line Spark
|Refined||Bloodstone Brick||Dragonite Ingot||Empyreal Star||Fulgurite|
- Primary article: Gemstone
Gemstones are crafting materials used by jewelers as activators when crafting jewels and trinkets, and can also serve as universal upgrades. Most can be obtained by harvesting ore, although there are some that are obtainable from lumber and plants, or as drops.
- Primary article: Jeweler#Refinement
Tiered gemstones can be promoted to higher tiers (at a 2:1 ratio) by a jeweler of sufficient skill using Dust. Promotions to tier 2, and some promotions to tier 4, require mixing different types of lower-tier gemstones.
- Primary article: Ingredient
- Piece of Candy Corn
- Candy Corn Cob
- Chattering Skull
- Gibbering Skull
- Nougat Center
- Tyria's Best Nougat Center
- Plastic Fangs
- High-Quality Plastic Fangs
- Piece of Zhaitaffy
Runes of Holding
|Runes of Holding|
|Tier 2||Minor Rune of Holding|
|Tier 3||Rune of Holding|
|Tier 4||Major Rune of Holding|
|Tier 5||Greater Rune of Holding|
|Tier 6||Superior Rune of Holding|
|Tier 7||Supreme Rune of Holding|