Chasing the Culprits
Chasing the Culprits
Search the farmhouse for the people kidnapped by bandits.
- Meet Faren at the farmhouse in Queensdale
- Find the prisoners.
- Cells opened: 0/3
- Defeat the pursuing bandits and escort the prisoners to safety.
- Escape the farmhouse.
Click here to edit the reward data
- All professions
- Bag of Loot (2)
- Heavy Aquabreather, and one of the following: Resilient Shield, Malign Torch, Healing Staff
- Heavy Aquabreather, and one of the following: Malign Sword, Malign Axe, Healing Staff
- Heavy Aquabreather, and one of the following: Resilient Shield, Healing Warhorn, Mighty Greatsword
- Leather Aquabreather, and one of the following: Malign Pistol, Mighty Rifle, Resilient Shield
- Leather Aquabreather, and one of the following: Healing Warhorn, Malign Dagger, Mighty Greatsword
- Leather Aquabreather, and one of the following: Malign Pistol, Mighty Dagger, Healing Short Bow
- Cloth Aquabreather, and one of the following: Healing Focus, Mighty Dagger, Malign Staff
- Cloth Aquabreather, and one of the following: Resilient Focus, Mighty Pistol, Malign Staff
- Cloth Aquabreather, and one of the following: Malign Focus, Healing Dagger, Mighty Staff
Your character will meet Lord Faren at what seems to be an abandoned home.
Proceed to the basement, and search for a tunnel to the underground lair of the bandits. Your character will have to fight small groups of bandits to get to the prisoners. One bandit will run ahead to man a turret; it's possible to kill him utilizing crippled, knockdown, etc. but it's not really worth it. Just dodge out of the red circles that indicate where the turret is firing, and attack it to break it once you get close enough.
After you cross the bridge, and make your way up to the top of the rock formation, you will face a mini-boss who dual-wields pistols and likes to use Unload repeatedly. After defeating him, free the prisoners, and a short cutscene triggers.
With the prisoners in tow, you will have to fight your way back through the tunnels. The mission is complete when you have arrived at the first floor of the abandoned house (the starting point), and spoken to Logan Thackery.
- Lord Faren: Time to make those louts pay for ruining your party. I've got my sword, sensible shoes, and my fighting coiffure. What else do I need?
- <Character name>: You're as ready as you'll ever be. Glad to have you with me, but do me a favor? Stay close. That way, we can protect each other.
- Lord Faren: Don't worry about me. Swordmaster Bongo the One-Eyed told my parents I was the best student he'd ever seen.
Speaking with Faren:
- Lord Faren: No time to chat, old friend! We've got people to rescue and bandits to defeat!
- You're right. Less talking, more fighting.
Approaching the bandits:
- Bandit Kidnapper: Are you sure it's safe here? We left a lot of wounded behind. They could talk.
- Kidnapper: They'll keep quiet. Everyone knows what we do to a snitch.
During combat on the way to the hostages:
- Lord Faren: That'll teach you to kidnap your betters!
- Bandit Kidnapper: Intruder! Man the turret!
- Bandit Cutpurse: We got company!
- Lord Faren: If you scoundrels bleed on my fine apparel, I'm sending you the cleaning bill.
- Bandit Highwayman: You asked for it!
- Bandit Scout: What are YOU doing here, silk drawers?
- Chaingun Kelly: Looks like someone's come to kill me, boys. Let's return the favor.
Before freeing the hostages (cycles randomly):
- Child: Please, I need your help!
- Noble: A little help here!
- Captive Servant: A little help here!
- Villager: (crying)
- Noble: Please, I need your help!
- Villager: Gods, help us!
- Child: This is just a bad dream, bad dream, bad dream...
- Captive Servant: Help us!
- Villager: By the gods! What will we do now?
Cinematic after freeing the hostages:
- Captive Servant: Thank you so much. Both of you. I'll never forget this.
- <Character name>: You're still in danger. Gather the others and head down that tunnel. You can escape through the abandoned farmhouse.
- Lord Faren: And if you know any fair maidens, be sure to tell them who rescued you: the dashing Lord Faren... and his friend!
- <Character name>: Just get yourself and the others to a safe place. That's all the thanks we need.
- Lord Faren: Speak for yourself, old chum.
- Captive Servant: Before I go, take these documents. I lifted them from the bandits when they were manhandling me. They mention some kind of leader in Divinity's Reach. Is that helpful?
- <Character name>: It is indeed. Thank you. Now, please, go. We'll make sure you get out of here safely.
Speaking with Faren:
- Lord Faren: Excellent work. Now we must depart these dank surrounding. They aren't fit for shining beacons of heroism like us.
- I couldn't agree more.
Speaking with the rescued hostages:
- Child: I'm scared. The bad people might come back.
- Stay close to the others. You'll be fine.
- Villager: Gods, my heart's just about pounding out of my chest. We need to get out of here!
- Calm down, I promise we'll get you out.
- Noble: There are so many bandits here!
- Don't worry, we'll get you to safety.
- Captive Servant: Grenth take those blighted bandits! Locking people up—it's not right.
- You'll be free shortly. Sit tight.
In combat while escaping:
- Lord Faren: You need to go this way!
- Bandit Scout: Think we're gonna let you out of this cave alive? Not a chance!
- Lord Faren: Spread out! Hold this position!
- Villager: Protect me!
- Lord Faren: Here's one for your auntie!
- Villager: Are they coming this way?
- Noble: By the gods! What will we do now?
- Bandit Highwayman: Don't let them escape!
- Villager: Help, I'm under attack!
- Lord Faren: I'd get to safety if I were you.
- Lord Faren: Captain Thackeray! We've had the most marvelous adventure! My friend and I defeated these delinquents with panache AND aplomb. You're just in time to celebrate our victory.
- Logan Thackeray: I'm... amazed. Then again, I should have known the hero of Shaemoor wouldn't let your kidnapping go unanswered.
- <Character name>: No one hurts my friends without answering to me. And look: we found this letter in the bandit cave. Someone in Divinity's Reach is pulling their strings.
- Lord Faren: No common thug would use such expensive parchment. There's a papermaker at the trading post named Cin Fursarai—terribly prickly man, but I bet he could identify the design.
- <Character name>: Captain Thackeray? Let me talk to the papermaker. I'll get the information you need without anyone realizing the Seraph are aware of the traitor in the city.
- Logan Thackeray: A solid plan. I'm grateful for the help, but be careful. Whoever's behind this plot is playing rough. I'll be waiting in the city to hear what you find.
Speaking with allies:
- Lord Faren: Headed to Fursari? I wish you luck! He's as cordial as a skale with a bowel disorder.
You're not coming?
- I would be of little help. You see, I...er, might have...threatened him before. It's a silly story, but I imagine he's displeased with me, so I'll sit this one out.
I have to hear this story.
- I used his paper to send an anonymous letter to a lovely young lady. Somehow it ended up in the hands of her fiancee
I imagine you had some strong words for him afterwards.
- After what the lady's fiancé threatened to do to me, yes! So I told Fursarai I'd have him tied up and thrown to bears. All bluster, of course! But the man seemed to take it quite seriously.
- My friend, you are a unique collection of very bad ideas. I'll talk to you later.
- I can sense this isn't going to end well. Talk to you later, Faren!
- I'll have to ask you about that one later. Good-bye for now.
- Thanks for the well-wishes. I'll see you later.
- Logan Thackeray: Be careful out there. If Fursarai is at the trading post, you have quite the trek ahead of you. Watch out for centaurs.
- I will. Thank you.
- Seraph Guard: We've got things covered here. Good luck with your mission.
- Thanks. Will do.