New sacrifices would be made.
Livia is an ancient and powerful human necromancer. Born in the 11th century AE, Livia was the third leader of the Shining Blade. Like the rest of the Shining Blade, Livia has a narrow-minded devotion to the continuation of Queen Salma's bloodline, no matter the means.
Livia first came to prominence in 1078 AE. A royalist, Livia had dedicated her life to the liberation of Kryta from its White Mantle puppet rulers during the Krytan Civil War. To this end, she sought a weapon of power that would bring an ultimate end to the war that tore apart her homeland. She was said to be willing to risk everything for peace. She approached the renowned golemancer Gadd, offering to help him research the Bloodstones in exchange for asuran technology, but eventually left his employ due to ethical objections. Before doing so, she learned of the Scepter of Orr. After leaving Gadd, Livia played an instrumental role in the defeat of the Great Destroyer, champion of Primordus, and stated her intention to go to the then-sunken Arah to seek the Scepter of Orr. What happened after is not clear, but it is known she wielded the Scepter's power, for a time.
A year later, Livia used her credentials with the asura to convince the exiled golemancer Zinn and the eccentric Blimm to develop a golem that could help defeat the mursaat. Using energies extracted from a seemingly-dead seer, they were able to defend Lion's Arch from the brunt of the mursaat magic, and the royalist forces were victorious. With Queen Salma restored to power, the leader of the Shining Blade, Bartholos, left to command the newly-formed Seraph, and Livia was promoted to leader of the Shining Blade. No longer needed as a rebel group, the Shining Blade was appointed as the royal guard of all future kings and queens of Kryta.
As Master Exemplar, she created the Oath of Confidence, a magical rite that prevents those who undertake it to reveal the secrets of the Shining Blade under penalty of death. She bound this ritual to The Shining Blade, a magical artifact of Seer origins. She remained Master Exemplar until 1157 AE, at age 93, where she retired to the Shining Blade's headquarters in secrecy and was not heard from publicly thereafter, thus believed to have died there from old age.
|However, in 1256 AE, after the Rising of Orr, Livia was still the personal bodyguard to Kryta's monarch, and held the rank of Exemplar within the Shining Blade. She was aboard the Balthazar's Trident when it was attacked by Dead Ships, and used her magic to prevent Risen attackers from coming aboard. Livia claimed to have studied much of Orrian magic after acquiring the Scepter of Orr, and had retained her youthful appearance. How she had managed such a feat is not known—some tales said she'd sold her soul to become an immortal lich, and others claimed that Livia sacrificed prisoners in the dungeons of Divinity's Reach and used their blood to give herself eternal youth and beauty. There are hundreds of legends, usually told around Mad King's Day, when children are trying to scare one another with spooky tales.|
|In 1330 AE, Livia is found to still be working for the Shining Blade as an Exemplar, this time taking on the name Kerida. After contact with her was lost while she was tracking down the Eye of Janthir and aspects of Lazarus, Countess Anise had sent the Pact Commander to assist her. After the Pact Commander had tracked the Eye and the final aspect to Siren's Landing where Balthazar had hidden the aspect within Abaddon's Reliquary, Livia joined the Pact Commander to revive Lazarus and kill the last mursaat once and for all. Using The Shining Blade, Lazarus was killed, and the Eye of Janthir disintegrated confirming the last of the mursaat's death.|
- Episode 6: One Path Ends
- Livia's skills mimic a build from the original Guild Wars.
- Fragility - Applies Fragility to enemies.
- Order of the Vampire - Nearby allies are granted an effect to steal health when they connect with an attack.
- Livia seeking out the Scepter of Orr was one of several "hooks" that developers placed in Ogden's Benediction without necessarily knowing how they were going to be used. This event was not mentioned at all throughout Guild Wars Beyond (suggesting it may have taken place after the Krytan Civil War, rather than immediately after the defeat of the Great Destroyer), nor was it mentioned in Guild Wars 2.
- When asked about what happened to Livia and the Scepter of Orr, continuity designer Ree Soesbee stated that she "couldn't answer that question" and that it was important that she couldn't answer it.
Concept art by Kekai Kotaki for Guild Wars 1
- A Pact airship, the Lady Livia, is named after her.
- Some of the rumours about Livia's unnatural longevity are reminiscent of those told about Báthory Erzsébet.
- In the book Sea of Sorrows, she is described as having "White-streaked hair".
- Her current alias is Kerida. In Spanish, the word for "dear" (an endearment Livia likes to use) is "querida".
- Her combat abilities were intended to be a "fun call-back to GW1".
- She wields the focus King's Remembrance, and the sword Vengeance.
- ^ Guild Wars 2 Lore Q&A - Guild Wars 2 Guru News - Guild Wars 2 Guru
- ^ a b /r/Guildwars2 | "One Path Ends" devs here – ask us anything!
- ^ Guild Wars 2 lore designers on rebuilding the world, and why they keep blowing up cities | Interviews | PC Gamer
- ^ Wartower.de | TowerTalk gamescom 2011: Ree Soesbee zum Thema Lore in Guild Wars 2
- ^ | Sea of Sorrows Pages 384-385