There are forces at work in this city, in this world, that will take us all down if we let them. Together, you and I can make a difference.
E, nicknamed Mister E by Kasmeer Meade, is an enigmatic (and currently unidentifiable) benefactor of Delaqua Investigations. He fights to protect Kryta and the world from various threats and has established an extensive network of informants to act as his eyes and ears. E takes his duty very seriously and has a ruthless side which he shows to anyone who attempts to cross or mislead him. He believes that luck is what fools and idiots require to stay alive.
E's earliest known activity was soon after the murder of Mendel by a corrupt Ministry Guard in the city of Divinity's Reach, when he grabbed Marjory Delaqua from behind and held a knife at her throat while proposing a working relationship that she "wouldn't forget" so they could "make a difference" and protect the city and the world from various threats. Marjory did not catch a glimpse of E who vanished shortly after, but described him as gently moving, having a deep voice, and with no necromantic power. Following the encounter with E, Marjory resigned from the Ministry Guard and became a private investigator.
In 1325 AE, E received a letter from an anonymous informant who revealed, among other things, the identity of Confessor Esthel as the latest leader of the White Mantle, and the secretive cult's plan to assassinate the Hero of Shaemoor. E sent a reply back to the source, stating that he would act on the provided details but also warned his latest informant not to toy with him; if he caught any of his informants lying or spreading misinformation, he would demonstrate how serious he was about protecting Krytan interests. Thanks to the information he had acquired from his new source, E was able to contact the Shining Blade with valuable details and ensured that the agents both saved the Hero's life and raided the White Mantle hideout which led to Confessor Esthel's death.
In 1326 AE, E contacted capable Tyrian adventurers, including the Pact Commander, via a letter. He implored the adventurers to attend the effigy lighting ceremony of the Dragon Bash festival in Lion's Arch after he had heard whispers of a possible threat to the Ship's Council. He stated that he would intervene himself, but circumstances prevented it. After the Aetherblade attack on the festival and the death of Councillor Theo Ashford, E requested that the Commander seek out Marjory and work with her to discern the nature of the threat.
E contacted Marjory again after the fall of the Tower of Nightmares, warning her that the actions of the sylvari terrorist Scarlet Briar and her alliance were signs of a war coming for all of Tyria.
In 1327 AE, E contacted the Pact Commander again, believing that the theories about Scarlet's actions in the Battle for Lion's Arch disturbing one of the Elder Dragons had merit. He gave the Commander word of a strange disturbance in Brisban Wildlands, which turned out to be giant vines breaking open a passage through a mountain into Dry Top. Countess Anise was similarly contacted by E after Queen Jennah had been accused of conspiring with Scarlet just before the world summit. In his message E let Anise know that Minister Estelle, who had claimed to have witnessed the queen's clandestine meeting with Scarlet in an alley, had actually been in a bandit gambling parlor at the time the supposed meeting had taken place in. This piece of information was used by Anise, Kasmeer and the Commander to catch Estelle lying and have the minister be taken to Shining Blade custody for slander.
In 1330 AE, several letters from E were found scattered about Lake Doric, mostly on dead Seraph bodies. Due to one of the letters referencing a Whispers protocol, E seemed to either be an Order of Whispers agent or was somehow close enough to them to be knowledgeable about their protocols. The letters revealed that E had learned of Legate Minister Caudecus Beetlestone having become the new Confessor of the White Mantle, and he wanted Caudecus eliminated. However, E was elsewhere at the time of the Siege of Divinity's Reach although he claimed to travel to the besieged city as soon as he was able while urging his informants to keep an eye on the ministers to find out who were sympathetic to the White Mantle. He also ordered one of his informants to shadow Logan Thackeray and keep him alive as he believed that Logan still had a role to play in events to come, and he sent word to Kasmeer to use her lie detection skills to root out traitors in the court while urging her not to endanger herself.
- Although E is usually referred to as male, Marjory Delaqua has pointed out that we do not actually know if this is the case, or even if E is a single person. Notably, E's introduction in Marjory's Story: The Last Straw only mentions a deep voice but never identifies E's gender.
- ^ Hard Boiled
- Kasmeer Meade: Pleased to meet you. By all means, call me Kasmeer. However did you know to come here?
- <Character name>: E sent me.
- Kasmeer Meade: Ah, the mysterious Mister E. I see. Well, your assistance will be more than welcome, I'm sure.
- ^ a b Master of Puppets
- Enemy of My Enemy: As a rule, I tend not to trust anonymous letters, but I'm sending this note back with your bird because of the gravity of what you wrote. If what you say about a planned assassination and about the identity of the White Mantle Confessor is true, I can't afford not to act. That being said, I'll give you the same warning I give all new informants: I don't like being toyed with. We'll be watching the target to see if this assassination attempt actually comes to pass. If it does, I'll consider the validity of the rest of your claim. And if it doesn't, I'll be forced to demonstrate just how seriously I take these matters. —E
- ^ a b E's Correspondence
- ^ a b Dragon Bash letters from E
- ^ a b The Dead End (The Nightmare is Over)
- Marjory Delaqua: Our mystery man has been in touch.
- Kasmeer Meade: You mean E? What'd he want?
- Marjory Delaqua: To warn us, it seems. He says there's a war coming to our doorsteps, a war for all of Tyria.
- Kasmeer Meade: I don't suppose he could be any more mysterious, could he?
- Marjory Delaqua: I agree. I don't think he was trying hard enough. [...]
- <Character name>: You mentioned E. What do you know?
- Marjory Delaqua: Not enough. We call him a "he," but we don't know if that's true. All we know is that he knows a lot. So he must be fairly well connected. He hasn't been wrong yet.
- <Character name>: He contacts you often?
- Marjory Delaqua: Often enough. Usually with some tip about wrongdoings that need righted. You?
- <Character name>: Yeah. Me too.
- ^ Disturbance in Brisban Wildlands
- Letter from E: <Character name>, I'm well aware of just how busy you are. However, you've heard the theories that Scarlet disturbed one of the dragons. I fear these theories have merit. My eyes and ears in Brisban Wildlands are reporting mysterious incursions into previously quiet areas. Go see for yourself. I hope your curiosity will spur you to action. —E
- ^ Party Politics
- Kasmeer Meade: Countess, Minister Estelle is claiming that you were there, at the secret meeting. She's implicating you.
- Countess Anise: Nonsense. I was at no such meeting. I did, however, receive a mysterious message signed only with the initial E.
- Countess Anise: The note said that Estelle was in a bandit gambling parlor when she was supposedly spying on our queen.