A boon is a type of effect that provides a positive buff to the recipient. Boons can be stacked by re-applying them: might and stability stack in intensity and the rest stack their duration; the duration can also be extended via the Boon Duration attribute. In the UI, boons are displayed via orange-colored icons that appear to the right of your health orb, on the top row of active effects; the white outline surrounding the icon indicates the time left before the boon expires. Placing your mouse cursor on the boon's icon will also show the remaining time. A flashing icon indicates that the boon will expire within 5 seconds.
Conditions are the primary counterpart to boons.
- 1 List of boons
- 2 Mechanics
- 3 Related skills
- 4 Related traits
- 5 Related equipment
- 6 Trivia
- 7 See also
- 8 References
List of boons
|Aegis||Block the next incoming attack; stacks duration.||Burning (1 stack, 3 s)|
|Fury||Critical Chance increased by 20%; stacks duration.||Blind (5 s)|
|Might||Increased outgoing damage; stacks intensity.||Weakness (10 s)|
|Protection||Incoming damage decreased; stacks duration.||Vulnerability (3 stacks, 10 s)|
|Quickness||Skills and actions are 50% faster.||Slow (3 s)|
|Regeneration||Gain health every second; stacks duration.||Poison (10 s)|
|Resistance||Conditions currently on you are ineffective; stacks duration.||Chilled (3 s)|
|Retaliation||Reflect incoming damage back to its source; stacks duration.||Confusion (3 stacks, 5 s)|
|Stability||Cannot be knocked down, pushed back, pulled, launched, stunned, dazed, floated, sunk, feared or taunted.||Fear (1 s)|
|Swiftness||Movement speed increased by 33%; stacks duration.||Crippled (10 s)|
|Vigor||Endurance regeneration increased by 50%; stacks duration.||Bleeding (3 stacks, 10 s)|
- Primary article: Effect stacking
Gaining a boon while it is already applied will increase its effectiveness. Boons can be stacked in either intensity or duration.
Stacking in intensity
Stacking in duration
Boons that stack in duration will cap out at 5 stacks and will increase the duration of the boon. Reapplying the boon while at the maximum number of stacks will overwrite the stack with the lowest duration. (e.g. having 15 seconds of Swiftness (5 + 4 + 3 + 2 + 1) and reapplying with one that lasts 10 seconds will replace the stack that lasts 1 second, increasing the duration to 24 seconds)
Boons that stack in duration will start using the strongest application before using the others regardless of when it was applied.
Boon distribution priority
Boons that are given to other players are distributed in the following order based on proximity:
- Allied players (Players not within your party/squad)
- Your kennel (Pets, minions, illusions)
- Allied players’ kennels
- All other allies (such as NPCs)
To see the skills which relate to a specific boon, refer to the page on that boon. The following is a list of skills that relate to boons in general.
Skills that remove boons
- Mind Spike (chained from Mind Slash); one from up to three foes
- Mind Stab; one from up to five foes
- Spinal Shivers; three from target foe
- Banish Enchantment; two from all foes that are hit
- Throw Mine; one from foes that are hit
- Null Field; one per pulse from each foe in the area
- Phantasmal Disenchanter; two from foes hit
- "Nothing Can Save You!"; two from up to five foes
- Mine Field; removes one boon for each mine
Skills that lengthen boons
- Weapon skills
- Sand Squall; 2s on each affected ally
Skills that transfer boons
- Weapon skills
- Larcenous Strike; 2 from target foe to self
- Heat Sync; copies your might and fury stacks to up to five nearby allies
- Utility skills
- Signet of Inspiration; copies all from you to nearby allies (active)
- Arcane Thievery; Send three conditions you have to your foe and steal three of their boons.
Skills that transform conditions into boons
- Utility skills
- Contemplation of Purity; all on self
- Elixir C; all on self
- Well of Power; one per pulse on each ally in the area
- Profession mechanics
Skills that transform boons into conditions
- Weapon skills
- Unholy Feast; 2 from up to 5 foes
- Putrid Curse (chained from Blood Curse); 1 from target
- Dark Pact; 2 from target
- Enfeebling Blood; 1 from up to 5 foes
To see the traits which relate to a specific boon, refer to the page on that boon. The following is a list of traits related to non-specific boons.
Traits that remove boons
- Shattered Concentration — Shatter skills also remove a boon on hit.
- Opportune Extraction — Steal a boon when you inflict torment on a foe affected by at least the threshold stacks of torment.
Each foe can only be affected once per interval.
- Spontaneous Destruction — Use Banish Enchantment when striking a foe that has boons equal to or greater than the threshold.
Traits that benefit from boons
- Altruistic Healing — Applying a boon to allies heals you.
- Power of the Virtuous — Deal extra damage for each boon you have. Virtues recharge faster.
- Destruction of the Empowered — Deal bonus damage per boon on your target.
- Empowered — Increases damage for every boon on you.
- Iron Blooded — Incoming damage is reduced for each boon you have.
- Bountiful Hunter — You and your pet deal more damage per boon that is on you.
- Fortifying Bond — Any boon you get is shared with your pet.
- Bountiful Power — Deal more damage for each boon on you.
- Chaotic Persistence — Outgoing boon and condition duration increase for every boon on you.
- Illusionary Inspiration — Phantasms grant regeneration to nearby allies. Whenever you summon a phantasm, cast Signet of Inspiration.
- Spiteful Talisman — Deal increased damage to foes with no boons. Focus skills recharge faster.
- Blighter's Boon — Gain life force when you apply a boon to yourself. If you are in reaper's shroud, gain health instead.
- Elder's Force — Increased damage per boon on you.
Traits that lengthen boons
Not to be confused with Boon Duration
- Soothing Bastion — Activate Crystal Hibernation when struck when you are below the health threshold. Using a shield skill increases boon duration.
- Imbued Melodies — While wielding a warhorn, your boon duration is increased. Use Sand Squall when struck while below the health threshold.
Traits that transfer boons
- Bountiful Theft — Stealing grants you and all nearby allies vigor. You rip boons from your target and grant them to nearby allies.
- Rending Shade — Steal boons from enemies you strike with stealth attacks. Incoming damage from enemies without boons is reduced.
Traits that convert boons into conditions
- Path of Corruption — Shroud skill 2 now additionally converts boons into conditions.
- Signets of Suffering — Reduces recharge on signets. Signets grant might when cast and convert boons on affected foes to conditions.
- Spiteful Spirit — Strike around you when entering shroud.
- Weakening Shroud — Cast enfeeble when entering shroud. Critical hits inflict weakness.
Traits that convert conditions into boons
- Pure of Voice — Allies affected by shouts have conditions converted to boons. Shout abilities have their recharge reduced.
- Transmute — Incoming conditions have a chance to convert into boons.
- Inversion Enzyme — Elixir gun abilities that remove conditions now convert them into boons instead.
To find equipment which affect a specific boon, refer to the page on the boon itself. The following is a list of equipment related to non-specific boons.
Upgrade components that grant boons
- Superior Sigil of Luck; chance on killing an enemy.
Upgrade components that transfer boons
- Superior Sigil of Absorption; on interrupt
Upgrade components that remove boons
- Superior Sigil of Nullification; chance on critical hit.
Upgrade components that increase boons duration
- Primary article: Boon Duration
- Boons replace the enchantments from the original Guild Wars and are designed to simplify the buff system.
- ^ Boon/Healing Priority?, Jon Olson, Guild Wars 2 Forum
- ^ Interview, Eric Flannum, Guild Wars 2 Italia