Shattering is the primary profession mechanic of the mesmer profession. It consists of shatter skills occupying the - slots of the mechanic bar which are used to destroy any illusions the mesmer has cast prior to shattering to cause a variety of effects like confusion or daze.
There are four shatter skills, all of which are instant-cast and have different cooldowns. Activating any of them will cause all illusions run to their respective assigned targets and shatter, causing effects around each illusion and the caster corresponding to the shatter skill used. However, Distortion causes all illusions to shatter immediately without running towards their targets. Shatter skills are more powerful the more illusions the mesmer had active; for instance, Distortion will last longer for each shattered illusion.
Note that illusions will move towards their own targets e.g. the foe the mesmer targeted when casting the illusion, and not the enemy who is currently being targeted by the mesmer while activating the shatter skill. The illusions can still be killed while they are moving towards their targets, effectively preventing the shattering effect from being caused by that illusion.
List of shattering skills
|Mind Wrack||5||12||Destroy all your clones and phantasms, damaging nearby foes. The shatter effect also occurs at your location.|
|Cry of Frustration||11||25||Destroy all your clones and phantasms, confusing nearby foes. The shatter effect also occurs at your location.|
|Diversion||15||38||Destroy all your clones and phantasms, dazing their targets. The shatter effect also occurs at your location.|
|Distortion||19||50||Gain distortion and destroy all your clones and phantasms, gaining additional distortion for each one shattered.|
|Continuum Split||80||90||Destroy all your illusions and create a rift in the time space continuum. When it expires, you will revert back to this point with your previous health, endurance and skill recharges. Duration increases per illusion shattered.|
|Continuum Shift||Revert back to the previous timeline. Your health, endurance and cooldowns are reverted to their previous states. You are transported back prematurely if the rift is destroyed.|
- Rending Shatter - Shatter skills inflict vulnerability on hit.
- Shattered Concentration - Shatter skills also remove a boon on hit.
- Mental Anguish - Shatter skills deal more damage. This damage increase is doubled against foes that are not activating skills.
- Bountiful Disillusionment - When you use a shatter, you will gain stability. You and nearby allies gain boons based on which shatter was used.
- Protected Phantasms - Phantasms gain distortion briefly upon creation. Illusions gain protection when you activate a shatter skill.
- Restorative Illusions - Heal yourself and lose conditions when you use a shatter skill.
- Illusionary Retribution - Shatter skills inflict confusion on hit.
- Persistence of Memory - Shattering a phantasm recharges all phantasms by a small amount.
- Shattered Strength - Shattering illusions grants you might per illusion.
- Maim the Disillusioned - Shatter skills inflict torment on hit.
- Master of Misdirection - Confusion you inflict lasts longer. Reduces recharge of shatter skills.
- Master of Fragmentation - Your shatter skills are improved.
- Time Splitter - Gain access to Continuum Split/Shift, which allows you to revert to an earlier point in time.
- Time Catches Up - Activating a shatter gives your illusions superspeed.
- Flow of Time - Gain alacrity for each illusion you shatter.
- Illusionary Reversion - Shatter skills generate a clone if you have enough illusions present.
- Seize the Moment - Gain quickness for each illusion you shatter.
- Chronophantasma - Your phantasms are resummoned after the first time they are shattered.
(Resummoned phantasms are briefly dazed.)
- Illusions do not carry out the command to shatter if the target dies before they are able to shatter; even in melee range, and if the shatter skill was used prior to the target's death, the function still fails in this situation.
- The illusion(s) still show the animation of shattering if their target dies, and they do not carry out the shatter effect.