Attributes are increased primarily by the equipment worn by the character and through the trait system, by spending trait points in the various trait lines. In PvE, attributes can also be increased through the use of consumables.
In addition to attributes, all characters have certain "hidden" statistics and values like movement speed or endurance regeneration rate. All professions have the same base attributes, except for Armor, which is determined by armor class, and Health which is profession-specific for balance reasons.
 Primary attributes
|Level range||Per level|
All professions have four common primary attributes, two offensive and two defensive. Primary attributes have a base value that grows with character level, starting at 24 for a level 1 character and capping at 916 at level 80.
- Decreases the amount of incoming damage suffered by the character.
 Secondary attributes
In contrast to primary attributes, the five secondary attributes have a base value of 0 and do not automatically increase as a character gains levels. They can only be increased by spending points in the relevant trait line or with equipment bonuses.
- Boon Duration
- Improves the duration of all boons applied by the character.
- Condition Damage
- Improves the damage done by the conditions bleeding, burning, confusion, poison, and torment.
- Condition Duration
- Improves the duration of all conditions inflicted by the character.
- Improves the damage multiplier on critical strikes.
- Healing Power
- Improves all outgoing heals that your character does, including self heals.
 Derived attributes
The four derived attributes are calculated from the primary attributes and statistics from gear and profession.
- Reduces incoming direct damage. Sum of Toughness and the Defense ratings of the character's equipped armor.
- Critical Chance
- The chance for an attack to result in a critical hit. At level 80, it has a base value of 4% and is increased by Precision (21 Precision = 1% Critical Chance).
- Critical Damage
- The damage multiplier for a critical hit. It has a base value of 150% and is increased by Ferocity (15 Ferocity = 1% Critical Damage).
- The character's maximum health. Base value is determined by profession and increases with level; improved by Vitality (1 Vitality = 10 Health).
 Other attributes
There are two additional attributes with unique mechanics.
- Agony Resistance
- Improves resistance against Agony, encountered in the Fractals of the Mists; can only be increased through infusions and infused equipment.
- Magic Find
- Improves the quality of loot; can be increased through luck, the Magic Find account bonus, and a Magical Infusion.
 Profession attributes
The sixteenth attribute is specific to each profession. Similar to secondary attributes, profession attributes do not automatically improve as a character gains levels. Unlike primary and secondary attributes, they cannot be improved by equipment; profession attributes can only be increased by spending trait points in the corresponding trait line.