Attributes are increased primarily by the equipment worn by the character. Some traits and skills can give bonuses to attributes. In PvE, attributes can also be increased through the use of consumables.
In addition to attributes, all characters have certain "hidden" statistics and values like movement speed or endurance regeneration rate. All professions have the same base attributes, except for Armor, which is determined by armor class, and Health which is profession-specific for balance reasons.
All professions have four common primary attributes, two offensive and two defensive. Primary attributes have a base value that grows with character level (from 2-10 it is every level, from 11+ it is every even level). The base value starts at 37 for a level 1 character and increases to a total of 1000 at level 80. This progression is shown in detail in the table to the right, look at Level rewards for a detailed breakdown.
- Decreases the amount of incoming damage suffered by the character.
In contrast to primary attributes, the seven secondary attributes have a base value of 0 and do not automatically increase as a character gains levels.
- Boon Duration
- Improves the duration of all boons applied by the character.
- Increases boon duration.
- Condition Damage
- Improves the damage done by the conditions bleeding, burning, confusion, poison and torment.
- Condition Duration
- Improves the duration of all conditions inflicted by the character.
- Increases condition duration.
- Improves the damage multiplier on critical strikes.
- Healing Power
- Improves all outgoing heals that your character does, including self heals.
The four derived attributes are calculated from the primary attributes and statistics from gear and profession.
- Reduces incoming direct damage. Sum of Toughness and the Defense ratings of the character's equipped armor.
- Critical Chance
- The chance for an attack to result in a critical hit. At level 80, it has a base value of 4% and is increased by Precision (21 Precision = 1% Critical Chance).
- Critical Damage
- The damage multiplier for a critical hit. It has a base value of 150% and is increased by Ferocity (15 Ferocity = 1% Critical Damage).
- The character's maximum health. Base value is determined by profession and increases with level; improved by Vitality (1 Vitality = 10 Health).
There are general attributes that are only improved through equipment and items.
- Agony Resistance
- Improves resistance against Agony, encountered in the Fractals of the Mists; can only be increased through infusions and infused equipment.
- Magic Find
- Improves the quality of loot; can be increased through luck, the Magic Find account bonus, and a Magical Infusion.
The sixteenth attribute is specific to each profession. Similar to secondary attributes, profession attributes do not automatically improve as a character gains levels. Unlike primary and secondary attributes, they cannot be improved by equipment; profession attributes can only be increased by equipping a trait in the corresponding specialization.
- Before the September 2014 Feature Pack, a player would receive a small increase of attribute values with each level up, instead of greater increases every 6 levels. Additionally, the base values for primary attributes received a small boost from 916 to 926 at level 80.