Rangers rely on a keen eye, a steady hand, and the power of nature itself. Unparalleled archers, rangers are capable of bringing down foes from a distance with their bows. With traps, nature spirits, and a stable of loyal pets at their command, rangers can adapt to any situation.
Rangers are flexible and durable--proficient with the bow, yet surgical with the sword. Their loyal pets, which rangers tame and train, distract enemies while the rangers strike safely from a distance. As an adventurer profession, rangers wear medium armor.
The pet is available exclusively for the ranger profession. They are AI controlled allies that fight alongside the ranger and are maintained through a special user interface that can set basic behavior modes and activate a skill. Four pets in total can accompany the ranger (two for fighting on land, two for aquatic), but only one pet will fight at a time. Rangers can switch pets during a fight to adapt to in-game situations.
Pets have 4 skills; three shared by all pets in the same family of animals, one which is unique to that species of pet (e.g. polar bear or brown bear).
See list of pet skills.
Unique skill types
- Survival — Enhance survival or offensive abilities.
- Spirits — Summon a nature spirit that influences the area around it.
The ranger has five core specializations, and one elite specialization:
- Druid — Revealed during the PAX South panel where Heart of Thorns was revealed, it was confirmed that the ranger elite specialization will allow them to wield a staff and feature more nature oriented magic attacks.
The ranger is an adventurer profession and wears medium armor.
- Axe — Enter a stance to reflect incoming strikes or throw the axe for a boomerang effect.
- Dagger — Used as a crippling ranged attack, or a quick poisonous stab for melee.
- Torch — Throw the torch at enemies for burning damage, or light areas on fire.
- Warhorn — Used to deal damage over time or buff allies.
There are eleven possible weapon sets for this profession and it can access two weapon sets while underwater. The ranger can equip and alternate between two weapon sets quickly while in combat.
Rangers can craft items useful to themselves with the following disciplines:
- Weaponsmith — Axes, daggers, greatswords, spears, swords.
- Huntsman — Harpoon guns, longbows, shortbows, torches, warhorns.
- Leatherworker — Medium armor.
- Jeweler — Jewelry.
- Chef — Food.
The available starting pets for each race are:
- The ranger was previewed under this image until its unveiling on the 14th July 2010.
- At one point in development, according to The Making of Guild Wars 2 book, the ranger profession of the original Guild Wars was split into many different professions, notably the warden and the marksman. Eventually, with only marksman remaining, who only possessed only the aspect of ranged weaponry, was combined with already scrapped elements of warden and beastmaster, and renamed the ranger for the sake of the original series.
- The ranger's pet skill mechanics helped flesh out the form of unique abilities of each profession.
- Ranger on the official website.