- This article is about the guardian's special abilities. For the guardian general trait line, see Virtues.
Virtues are the profession mechanic for the guardian profession. They occupy the - slots of the mechanic bar. These abilities apply continuous passive benefits to the guardian as that character adventures, or they can be activated as something similar to shouts, granting an immediate benefit to all nearby allies. Activating one of these virtues will disable its passive effect until that ability recharges once again. Each virtue has its own recharge so may be used independently of the others. Functionality for these skills unlock as players level. Virtue of Courage unlocks at level 17.
 List of virtues
|Virtue of Justice||30||Burn foes every few attacks. Activate: You and your allies inflict burning on the next attack.|
|Virtue of Resolve||60||Regenerates health.Activate: Heal yourself and nearby allies.|
|Virtue of Courage||90||Grants aegis every forty seconds.Activate: Grant aegis to yourself and nearby allies.|
 Related skills
- Each point in Virtues decreases the recharge on virtues by 1%.
- Inspired Virtue — Virtues now also apply the following boons to allies when activated: Justice: might Resolve: regeneration Courage: protection
- Virtue of Retribution — Gain retaliation when you activate a virtue.
- Supreme Justice — Virtue of Justice causes burning more frequently. When activating Virtue of Justice, the burn duration is increased.
- Absolute Resolution — Activating Virtue of Resolve removes conditions from nearby allies. Virtue of Resolve's passive effect is stronger.
- Indomitable Courage — Activating Virtue of Courage grants stability to nearby allies. Virtue of Courage's passive effect triggers more frequently.
- Permeating Wrath — Virtue of Justice's passive effect no longer burns your target, but instead burns the area around you each time it activates.
- Shielded Mind — Activating Virtue of Courage also breaks stun for any ally affected by the ability.
- Justice is Blind — When activating Virtue of Justice, nearby foes are blinded.
- Renewed Justice — Virtue of Justice is renewed when you kill a foe.
- The guardian's virtue mechanic went through a long iteration process. At one point, it was a shield around the guardian that absorbed damage; at another, it was a mechanic similar to the thief's initiative and called resolve, and although scrapped it became the basis of the thief's said mechanic. Months later, a concept of sacrificing a passive effect for a greater power was introduced and became the virtue system.