Squads are large groups created and led by players with commander privileges. These privileges are unlocked on an account-wide basis by consuming a Commander's Compendium, which is purchased from a commander trainer for 300 + 250 .
Active commanders will display a commander icon (also known as a tag) on the world map, the compass, and above the commander's character to track their current location. This icon is typically visible to all players in the zone, with two exceptions:
- Squad members can only see the tag of their own leader on the map. (Squad leaders themselves retain the ability to see other commander tags.)
- All players in World versus World can only see tags belonging to commanders on their own team.
Commanders can display their icon in one of four colors, as shown above: blue, red, yellow, and purple. Hovering the cursor over any commander tags on the map will display "Commander <squad leader's name>".
To join a squad, click on a commander tag on the world map, right-click on a commander's portrait after targeting them, or right-click on their name in chat and select the option to join their squad. You do not need the commander's permission to join.
- To join a squad, type the chat command: /squadjoin "name of commander"
- To leave a squad, type the chat command: /squadleave or open the party window (press "p") and select "leave" under squad.
- Squad members can send messages via the squad chat channel, or .
- Squads are limited to 50 players.
- Players can be members of a party and a squad at the same time.
- All squad members are automatically removed when the commander disbands the squad.
There are additional tools available to commanders.
- To create a squad, open the party UI located on the left hand side of the screen (default: ) and select "Create". This turns on your tag. Select "Disband" to turn it off.
- The same panel allows you to choose an icon color: blue, red, yellow or purple. However, you cannot change the color without disbanding and recreating the squad.
- A squad cannot be created if you are already in a squad.
- names of squad members (adjacent allies that are non-members are not included)
- amount of supply each is carrying
- total number of squad members
- total supply carried by all squad members
- names of adjacent allies (including non-squad-members). Adjacent range is approximately 240 units.
- amount of supply each is carrying
- total number of adjacent allies
- total supply carried by all adjacent allies
map — Opens a context menu for adding special "order" icons visible to squad members (but not others). The available icons are:+ on the
- Squad Attack Order
- Squad Defend Order
- Squad Rally Order
- Personal Waypoint
Hovering over a commander's orders icon will display its function. All may be be simultaneously placed at different locations on the map; however, only one of each may be present at a time. They may be individually removed using. Except for the personal waypoint, they are automatically removed when the squad is disbanded.
- The September 2014 Feature Pack made several changes to the commander tool:
- The tag became account bound.
- Three new tag colors: red, yellow, and purple, in addition to the original blue.
- The price of the Commander's Compendium increased to 300 and 250 , a net increase of 200 .
- The new features applied to existing commanders; those that had spent more than 300 were given rebates of at least 100 .
- The Commander (effect) was removed.
- An Enhanced Squad UI was announced on September 29, 2015 and was implemented with the Spirit Vale patch on November 17, 2015.