Life force is the necromancer's resource that fuels Death Shroud and Reaper's Shroud. Life force is gained when players or NPCs die nearby (approximately within a range of 1,200 units) and through certain skills. Death Shroud depletes life force and ends when it reaches zero.
The base size of your life force pool is 69% of your maximum health, meaning it is indirectly affected by your Vitality attribute, and can be further increased by the Strength of Undeath minor trait of the Soul Reaping specialization, to 79.35% of maximum health.
The life force bar, located above the weapon skills, displays life force level relative to its full value. Character death will drain some life force, as well as changing maps, or logging out and back in.
List of skills that grant Life Force
|Staff||Necrotic Grasp||Send out a grasping hand that damages foes in a line and grants you life force.|
| Mark of Blood
||Inscribe a mark that bleeds foes when they trigger it, and grants regeneration to allies.|
||Chill and poison the target area.|
| Putrid Mark
||Inscribe a mark that transfers conditions from yourself to foes when they trigger it.|
| Reaper's Mark
||Inscribe a mark that causes fear when foes trigger it.|
|Scepter||Feast of Corruption||Strike your target, gain life force, and torment your foe. For each condition on your target up to the condition threshold, get additional life force gain and inflict additional torment stacks.|
|Axe||Ghastly Claws||Summon spectral claws to slash your foe in a quick flurry of strikes, gaining life force per strike. This attack deals increased damage per stack of vulnerability on your target.|
|Main-hand Dagger||Necrotic Stab||Strike your foe again.|
|Necrotic Bite||Strike your foe and gain life force.|
|Warhorn||Locust Swarm||Gain swiftness and summon a swarm of locusts that cripple nearby foes.|
|Focus||Reaper's Touch||Send out a scythe that bounces between foes and allies. Causes vulnerability on foes and regeneration on allies.|
|Spear||Reaper's Scythe||Reap life force from nearby foes.|
|Trident||Feast||Weaken and damage foes around you. Gain life force per foe struck.|
|Greatsword||Chilling Scythe||Strike foes and chill them.|
|Death Spiral||Conjure a drill of dark energy on your blade and rend the armor of foes in front of you.|
|Grasping Darkness||Toss spectral scythes at foes in front of you, applying chill to them and pulling them to you. Gain life force for each struck foe.|
|Heal||"Your Soul Is Mine!"||Heal yourself and strike foes around you, absorbing life force for each foe struck.|
||Command your shadow fiend to teleport to a foe and attack all nearby foes, inflicting conditions.|
| Necrotic Traversal
||Sacrifice your flesh wurm, teleport to it, and poison foes.|
|Signet of Undeath|| Passive: Generates life force while in combat.|
Active: Revive up to three downed allies in a target area.
|Spectral Armor||Gain life force as you take damage.|
|Spectral Grasp||Pull target foe and all nearby foes to you, chill them, and gain life force.|
| Spectral Wall
||Create a spectral wall that protects allies and fears foes.|
|Spectral Walk||Create a shadowy tether and become spectral, gaining life force when struck. You may return to your initial position by using Spectral Recall.|
|Elite||Lich Form||Assume the form of a lich for a brief time. Entering this form removes all other spectral effects. Gain life force when this skill ends.|
|Death Shroud||Life Transfer||Damage nearby foes and steal their life force.|
|Reaper's Shroud||Life Reap||Cleave foes around you, gaining life force for each foe struck. This skill inherits traits from Life Blast.|
|Blood Magic|| Mark of Evasion
||Leave a Mark of Blood when you dodge.|
- Skills marked with icon are only available in Reaper Elite specialization.
- Soul Comprehension - Your passive life-force generation from nearby deaths is increased.
- Unholy Sanctuary - Regenerate health while in shroud. If your life force is above the threshold, your death shroud will activate if you take a lethal blow.
- Unholy Martyr - Draw conditions from allies when you enter shroud and every few seconds while you remain in shroud. Gain life force each time a condition is removed.
- Gluttony - Increases life force gain from skills.
- Soul Marks - Marks generate life force when triggered. Marks are unblockable.
- Spectral Mastery - Reduces recharge on spectral skills. Spectral skills last longer and grant life force on use.
- Vital Persistence - Gain Vitality. Shroud skills gain reduced recharge.
- Strength of Undeath - You do more damage while above the life-force
- Chilling Victory - Striking a chilled foe grants might and life force.
(Single attacks can activate this trait more than once before recharging.)
- Blighter's Boon - Gain life force when you apply a boon to yourself. If you are in reaper's shroud, gain health instead.
- ^ Necromancer, Official Guild Wars 2 website
- ^ ArenaNet employee, Guild Wars 2 forum
- ^ ArenaNet employee, Guild Wars 2 forum