A consumable is an item that is removed upon use and triggers an event, hence being consumed. The "event" can be anything from gaining an effect, salvaging materials, learning a recipe, or obtaining a bundle. Permanent consumables are consumables that have an unlimited amount of uses. These are often in the form of endless tonics and bundles such as the Unbreakable Choir Bell.
 Types of consumables
- Alcohol — beverages that cause intoxication and give points towards the Achievement, "Thirst Slayer".
- Bundle item — Consumable items that give a bundle upon use.
- Blueprints — Items used in WvW to construct Siege weapons.
- Boosts — grant temporary benefits to the user and are available via the Gem Store, storyline quest reward, area completion reward, and drops.
- Visual effects — Change character appearance, e.g. Hylek Potions.
- Tonics — transforms the player into an alternate model, such as an NPC or inanimate object.
- Equipment skins — changes the appearance of equipment.
- Nourishment — these are items that give temporary boosts to a variety of stats, and are organized in the following categories:
- Food — grant temporary benefits to the user and give points towards the Achievement, "All You Can Eat".
- Maintenance Oils — grants a temporary increase in precision.
- Potions — grant increased damage to specific foes and reduced damage from those foes.
- Sharpening Stones — temporarily increase power.
- Tuning Crystals — provide a temporary increase to condition damage.
- Salvage kit — used to break down equipment into crafting materials and/or upgrades.
- Recipe sheets