Equipment pieces are special items which can be wielded and worn by the character. There are several different types of equipment, each with a special slot allocated to it on the hero panel which accepts only that type of equipment. Equipment can be dragged and dropped within the hero panel to the corresponding slot to equip it. Alternatively, the player can use the right click menu on a piece of equipment in the inventory. Equipment can only be changed out of combat.
A piece of equipment can be compared with the piece being currently worn by mousing over the new equipment icon in the inventory, when it is looted or on the hero panel. This brings up the information for both pieces of equipment with better item statistics shown in green and worse statistics shown in red.
Equipment can have stats transferred from one item to another through transmutation.
 Equipment types
There are several broad categories of equipment.
- There are six slots for armor; head, shoulders, chest, arms, legs, and feet.
- Town clothing
- There are five slots for town clothing; head, chest, arms, legs, and feet.
- Depending on the profession of the character there are either one or two main-hand and off-hand weapon slot pairs.
- Underwater equipment
- There is a slot for a breathing apparatus and one or two slots for aquatic weapons.
- Gathering tool
- There are three slots for equipment used to harvest items from the world; harvesting sickle, logging axe, and mining pick.
 Attribute bonuses
Armor, weapons, and trinkets confer a bonus to the character's primary and/or secondary attributes. The number and magnitude of these bonuses depend on the level, rarity, and type of the equipment.
With a few exceptions, an item can have one major bonus and two minor bonuses. These bonuses scale with the item's level via a quadratic function.
- Power, Precision, Toughness, Vitality, Condition Damage, and Healing Power can appear as major or minor bonuses on all equipment.
- Critical Damage only appears as a minor bonus.
A few attributes appear with fixed values, but they still take up one of the major or minor bonus slots.
- Boon Duration is fixed at 1%, appearing on "Giver's" armor as a minor bonus and on trinkets "of Winter" as a major bonus.
- Condition Duration is fixed at 10%, appearing only on "Giver's" weapons as a major bonus.
- Magic Find is fixed between 1% and 5% depending on item level/rarity, and can replace either a major or minor bonus.
The maximum available bonuses on level 80 Exotic equipment are tabulated below. The last column shows how the different item types scale relative to one another, using one-handed weapons as the base. An important feature to note is that two-handed weapons scale as two times one-handed weapons, so the total attribute bonus is the same whether you wield a two-handed weapon or a pair of one-handed weapons.